N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I listen to Juice WRLD a lot recently. He always calls his addiction and mood issues "demons". Like in "FIghting Demons" one of his songs. They are often visualized in his music videos. Maybe it helps people to visualize them in order to cope with them. Giving the enemy a face and a proper name.

Allegedly Winston Churchill called his depressions "mad dog" or "black dog". Maybe this is only a myth. But many self-help books use that metaphor. David Foster Wallace called his depression in one of his works the "bad thing".

I am not sure maybe I should give my conditions also nickname. If I had to visualize them I would use the color "black" a lot. I did that in clinics.
It depends with whom I talk about. Maybe calling them demons can be helpful when I am talking with people who don't know much about mental health. I like metaphors. I don't know much about dogs this is why I don't use this metaphor. The "bad thing" is interesting. But I like the German translation of it even more.

Do you have nickname for your struggle? Have you ever tried to visualize it?

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, MountainMonkey, WeepingWillow and 1 other person
Nequam

Nequam

Mar 9, 2022
I call it all my defect. Given my circumstances since birth it's the only thing that fits since it has been causing problems for me my entire life. I used to think that if I could find the root of my defect that I could somehow fix it and stop being thrown away or treated as vermin. I finally reached the point where I was able to accept that my defect is not something I will ever find and it is what it is.

• Hugs
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, wait.what and waitingforrest
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm a victim of Time-Traveling-Unborn-Children-Successfully-Aborting-Themselves.

Reactions: VKVK and waitingforrest
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I call it the expresso depresso.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: VKVK, blazysuzan, Ringo and 5 others
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I once had a horrible virus that left me all but incapacitated for 4 months. All the docs could say was that it was an adenovirus, which is the class of viruses that "the common cold" belongs to. I found that very annoying, because I clearly did not have a common cold. I was actually quite ill with frequent fevers well over 100F (or round about 38C, for the rest of the world). I couldn't seem to regulate my body temperature well for a long time after that. I just wore like 3 layers of clothes and took them off or put them on again as I started to sweat or shiver.

Anyway, I lived with this adenovirus so long that it seemed like I should be on a first-name basis with it. So I called it "Jim," and pretended "he" was my deadbeat roommate who never paid rent and screwed around with the thermostat. I also shook my fist and yelled "Dammit, Jim!" like Dr. McCoy at every possible opportunity.

Lately I've been calling my freakishly long list of disorders and syndromes "wait.what's disease." Well, I use my actual first name, which I'll redact. [Gandalf] It is the Black Speech of Mordor, which I will not utter here.[/Gandalf]. Ok, thanks, Gandalf, but that's …not technically true. It's just a name. I'd still be an idiot to say it here, wouldn't I?

Yes, and that's what I'm called, "François-Phillipe-Georges-Pinky-The-Mouse L'Idiot." Pleased to meet you.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Dead Ghost and waitingforrest
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
No. I don't reify them. There's me and there's my experience, that's it.

H

HappyForever?

Love from the deepest dream
Feb 14, 2021
TFW no gf syndrome.

Kestrel

Kestrel

Flying away
May 30, 2022
When I am feeling Shakespearian, I call it my vicious mole of nature... :haha:

Most of the time it's just 'my f*cking nightmare'

Last edited:
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Sex dysphoria? Most would call it Gender dysphoria, but this is not it. I'm a cis male that wishes his gender and sex was female, not someone who's gender doesn't match their sex.

• Love
Reactions: WeepingWillow
Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
The abyss as it feels like I'm slipping away into a black, endless hole that I can't climb out of.

nihilism44

nihilism44

trying my best
May 2, 2021
silly lil worms in my brain.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and blazysuzan
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Defective sis, childish killer, masterless bunny, doom doom yun, I have some.

WeepingWillow

WeepingWillow

One with endless night
May 11, 2020
Allegedly Winston Churchill called his depressions "mad dog" or "black dog". Maybe this is only a myth. But many self-help books use that metaphor. David Foster Wallace called his depression in one of his works the "bad thing".
I've always been partial to this analogy, ever since a psych told me about it. I've had the pleasure of being accompanied by three literal black dogs throughout my years. I suppose that one more to see me out of this world is somehow fitting, even if she is slightly less tangible than my last.

TheLastK

TheLastK

You can just call me K
Aug 6, 2022
Therapists have tried to separate my depression and whatnot into different parts or beings separate from me, but it is always just me. I don't want to sound edgy, but I've always been suicidal, to not be seems impossible to me. I refer to this part as simply me.

Reactions: VKVK and wait.what
C

CannotAnymore

Apr 29, 2022
Jessica..... Her name is Jessica.... She sucks

Xocoyotzin

Xocoyotzin

Aug 2, 2018
Demons or parasites, something cancerous and infectious that eats and spreads and reproduces with the sole of aim of furthering its ability to cause harm to me. It's probably not good to think of it as a monolithic, oppressive entity like this or to externalize at all to begin with but the network's laid down can't stop having dreams about it now. Underneath that weirdly external, brainjacked-feeling presence, the illness is just me. But I can't tell if I really am an illness or not or to what extent and what the causative factors might be if I am. My ability to objectively judge myself is broken at least, I think, but maybe not. It might not even be possible to do that anyway.

Reactions: Endex
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I was recently in a rehab program where one of the therapists recommended creating characters out of our various mental attributes, complete with names and actors that "played" them.

I haven't decided whether this is a good idea for me or not … once upon a time I lived in whatever version of hell lies at the intersection of PTSD and Dissociative Identity Disorder. Transition has actually helped with that a lot, so maybe I could try it now without worsening my dissociative symptoms. It does sound sort of fun. Or maybe I just want to pretend I have an internal Tyler Durden. (In reality there's nothing about me that is either that cool or that violent. Actually, I don't think they make movie characters as boring as me.)