Votes: 94 68.1%
  • Will explain in comments

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
UtopianSoliloquies

UtopianSoliloquies

Act 3 Scene 1
Jan 21, 2023
I would encourage people who want to CTB impulsively to reconsider. But I think we should nevertheless respect someone's decision to CTB even if it is impulsive in nature, that is to say even in cases of impulsive suicide, we have not the right to intervene. I think most people on this site understand that suicide is a right, and the ability to exercise of any right is not contingent on whether one's desire to do so is rational. You cannot be denied your vote because you did not do enough research into each politician's platform, and you cannot be denied your right to speak just because you don't have anything rational to say. It follows that, rational or not, the right to suicide ought not to be alienated through violence (where violence is understood to be the negation of the voluntary).

A

_apathetic

Not my mother tongue, sorry.
Oct 1, 2023
It's up to the person, but its better to make a plan first, Impulsive suicide often doesn't go well, there's a chance you could become a veggie and be worse off than you are now.

I

imrantahir1208

Oct 22, 2023
I finally realised that I had to ctb when I was sitting rationally and not thinking impulsively. My decision wasn't made over a day but from 2 years or more at least

Reactions: Meditation guide
flower_g1rl

flower_g1rl

sep 22, 2019
Oct 25, 2023
i dont care, if only for the fact that they might survive with great injuries

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I have impulsively and in a half hearted way that wasn't ever going to work attempted suicide and both times I had good reasons at the time and if not for not having any idea how hard it is, would have gladly done it and wouldn't be around to regret it.

I absolutely do NOT think it's up to others to force it on anyone one way or the other, neither encourage them nor stop them. My mother impulsively tried it with some pills in a way she didn't know would fail and she would have been so much better off if she had been able to peacefully end her life, because she had cancer, and it was pure torture for her for another year until she passed away.

My point is that impulsive attempts at suicide may still be the best thing to do in some cases, as it would have definitely been for my mother. And looking back at my attempts that failed, probably would have been best for me too.

lachrymost

lachrymost

finger on the eject button
Oct 4, 2022
The best thing is mixing them both – a rational planned suicide carried out by an impulsive trigger.
This. Ideally you should get things finished up, think it through, plan it well, and then wait around for that impulse to trigger you. But if someone is in unbearable pain, they might not be able to wait that long. Suicide is always risky because of failed attempts, so you want to avoid too much impulsivity.

Reactions: Meditation guide and dizzdesi
dizzdesi

dizzdesi

Oct 13, 2023
Do I like it? No. Do I encourage it? No. Do I think it's stupid and irresponsible? 100%. When it's asked in terms of whether I support it…that's where I draw a bit of a blank. No, I don't support it on the terms of everything I said at the start. But at the same time, I don't like the idea that someone ought to have a "good reason" or "good timing" to ctb. Regardless of anyone's personal feelings on it, I don't think anyone truly has a right to force a person out of ctb even if it's impulsive. It's a basic human right. I believe in a gentle "hey, I'm here and I won't hospitalize you if you're having suicidal thoughts," that sort of thing. But it's a tricky situation and can be strewed in all sorts of directions; it's a great question!

L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
Anyone who can escape is lucky in any and every capacity. I applaud everyone who is successful.