Do you feel the need to 'try everything' (in terms of trying to live) before you CTB?

• Yes

• Somewhat

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I often see this said- that you should try everything before you CTB. Even that not living a full life before natural death is kind of tragic. I guess I can see where the latter one is coming from. I do think life has the potential to be good. I guess I do find it sad when a person had hopes and dreams but got too bogged down with life, their job, making enough money- that they never realised their dreams and died before or shortly after retirement.

When it comes to CTB though- I guess it all hinges on your own perception of life. Is life worth fighting so hard for? Does it offer enough potential reward to put yourself through potentially uncomfortable and unpleasant things for?

I'm curious as to what people think. I think we have both extremes here. People who think life can be worth the effort and therefore- we should put that effort in. And others who think life is basically the enemy and anyone who wants to try and enjoy it is crazy. What's your view?

For me- I very much lie with the pro-choice line of thought. I think our choices with regards to what we feel willing to try in terms of things like therapy, medication, lifestyle changes- whatever- surely do depend on how realistic and worthwhile we see the reward as.

As in- a life we would find worthwhile. So- a person that sees no redeemable qualities to life isn't going to have the impetus to fight for it- obviously. Similarly, someone who sees their particular goals as too far fetched under their circumstances is also unlikely to put in the effort. Why even try and reach the impossible? I probably lie with the second line of thought. I think life could be worthwhile for me but the chances of me attaining my goals are so slim- even with the enormous amount of effort I would need to put in. I guess I'm not a great one for compromise either.

• Love
Reactions: movinout17, MeltingBrain, Kit1 and 4 others
R

ropearoundatree

Experienced
Nov 9, 2023
I do, but it is all, of course- "within reason," & (very much) 'season to taste!' So it can vary widely just depending on the given individual, and their given situation...

Reactions: Kit1 and Forever Sleep
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
No, because even the best things in life eventually become boring, and most things in life require too much effort for very little reward.
The juice ain't worth the squeeze as they say.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon, floralheaddress, Kit1 and 3 others
casual_existence

casual_existence

Student
Jul 29, 2023
It's worth it sort of. The big problem is people that feel the need to impose their will on others.

L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
Yes but it's subjective, some people feel like they have tried everything when they reach 18 and some feel that way when they reach 40.

• Love
Reactions: hi-okbye, Kit1, WAITING TO DIE and 1 other person
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
The thing is if "everything" is insisted upon then it never ends. There will always be more crap that will be pushed for you to try.

I think one will get a certain sense as to whether what one has done is enough, which will come at different points for everyone. If someone doesn't truly feel at peace with the effort they have made then they should continue to try.

So despite what is often pushed here, introspection into one's desires to CTB is of the utmost importance.

Of course, there are a lot of different therapy modalities, medications, and other treatments but all mental health interventions share one huge limitation in that they can't do much about Shit Life Syndrome (in other words, tangible problems and challenges). They can't necessarily do much about more amorphous anguish but when it comes to these concrete obstacles you really feel their shortcomings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathon, Kit1, ripberman and 3 others
U

user56765567

In recovery and getting help
Oct 1, 2023
I think for me, my mind has changed over the years on this subject and I think earlier in my life I would said yes but as I have tried a-lot of different things out over my time here over and over again in some cases I realize that most of those things I have tried and experience would not be things I would want to try again or even start to begin with.

• Hugs
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
In my case I see it as preferable to die regardless of the circumstances. What I see as the true problem is existence itself, and to me wanting to cease existing on my own terms is very rational. I'm never able to understand how suicide is supposedly so tragic when it prevents all future unnecessary suffering in an existence that was completely undesirable in the first place.

Wanting to die is all that makes sense to escape from the cruelty and futilty of existence, I don't see any value in being burdened with the ability to suffer in this objectively hellish reality, to exist means to suffer so pointlessly with the risk of suffering way more always being there.

So therefore I see existence as best avoided, all that existence does is create problems that there was never a need for in the first place with no limit as to how much one can be tormented. Only eternal non-existence is desirable for me, it isn't like anyone can suffer from being dead anyway.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: daocreator, Daxter_87, Latubmen and 4 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
The thing is "everything" is insisted upon then it never ends. There will always be more scrap that will be pushed for you to try.

I think one will get a certain sense as to whether what one has done is enough, which will come at different points for everyone. If someone doesn't truly feel at peace with the effort they have made then they should continue to try.

So despite what is often pushed here, introspection into ones desires to CTB is of the utmost importance.

Of course, there are a lot of different therapy modalities, medications, and other treatments but all mental health interventions share one huge limitation in that they can't do much about Shit Life Syndrome (in other words, tangible problems and challenges). They can't necessarily do much about more amorphous anguish but when it comes to these concrete obstacles is when you really feel their shortcomings.

Yeah- exactly this. Choice basically. It has to be up to the person as to whether they value life enough to try and to what and how much they want to try. I'm not sure it's all that realistic to be possible to change without the motivation to do so. Other people telling you you have to doesn't seem likely to work- to me.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Kit1 and WeDontKnowTheFuture
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
No. No matter what I do, I won't appreciate life. Trying everything would just cause me more suffering and discomfort as I have to go through way more suffering/discomfort just to even have a chance at being comparable to the average human. And even the most minute of suffering gives me a lot of pain

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1, WAITING TO DIE and Forever Sleep
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Yeah- exactly this. Choice basically. It has to be up to the person as to whether they value life enough to try and to what and how much they want to try. I'm not sure it's all that realistic to be possible to change without the motivation to do so. Other people telling you you have to doesn't seem likely to work- to me.
Being told you "have" to do anything always rankles people.

R

ropearoundatree

Experienced
Nov 9, 2023
I was answering the question as if it were being posed to my-self, only; & not! to any-body else~
(they can do whatever the heck, they want to!) :wink:

I realize now - that I did not do a very good, nor proper job in expressing this (view) however^ . . . Oy_veY! ;/

In other words, how I would probably best describe my thoughts on it: is that for the most part, I feel this way about/or for- myself!
But as for anybody else, sure it would be nice--or "might," be. . . All - 'just depending.' I'm certainly not going to argue w/anyone.
It's their choice, and their life. (And) Not mine.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
tinyghost

tinyghost

go home at dawn sleep in the sun
Sep 13, 2023
no, it would take forever. i dont have the resources to try everything. i dont want to suffer anymore.

• Hugs
ripberman

ripberman

Dec 24, 2022
Personally, no. I have never really been interested in living.

However, I have tried nearly everything out of obligation to my family—they enjoy having me, and if there was a way to keep me around and make life tolerable, I would have liked to find that magical cure for my misery. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. Your mileage may vary, though.

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Kit1 and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I was answering the question as if it were being posed to my-self, only; & not! to any-body else~
(they can do whatever the heck, they want to!) :wink:

I realize now - that I did not do a very good, nor proper job in expressing this (view) however^ . . . Oy_veY! ;/

In other words, how I would probably best describe my thoughts on it: is that for the most part, I feel this way about/or for- myself!
But as for anybody else, sure it would be nice--or "might," be. . . All - 'just depending.' I'm certainly not going to argue w/anyone.
It's their choice, and their life. (And) Not mine.

No- not at all- the question is open to any way people want to answer it. I guess ultimately, we can only ever fully answer it from our own perspectives. I guess I just try to pose questions with both a personal perspective and one that tries to understand all perspectives and maybe why we have them. But- both your replies are perfectly valid.
Personally, no. I have never really been interested in living.

However, I have tried nearly everything out of obligation to my family—they enjoy having me, and if there was a way to keep me around and make life tolerable, I would have liked to find that magical cure for my misery. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. Your mileage may vary, though.

I think this is a great way of putting it- 'mileage'. Some of us are more willing to travel the distance than others. Like you say- depends if stuff works for us. Depends what we see as the destination too. Sometimes, it simply doesn't seem worth the arduous journey to get to more shitsville.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ropearoundatree, Kit1 and ripberman
BlazingBob

BlazingBob

I'm still here b/c of my dogs
Oct 28, 2021
I'm too sick and exhausted to try anything anymore. It'd be different if I were healthy. I just want to not exist. Life without good health is not worth living.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Skathon, Little_Suzy, WAITING TO DIE and 2 others
BarnabasCollins

BarnabasCollins

Nov 16, 2023
I wish I had more drive for this. I've planned a date for December 31. There are things I'd like to do before then, but I'm just too exhausted.

• Hugs
BlockHammer

BlockHammer

Confused loser
Oct 25, 2023
Honestly, the sentence "try everything" is kindda confusing to me, cause people who said that sentence either they were too stupid or too ignorant too realize that everyone have their limitation and their own reason for wanting to commit suicide. For example, some people actually want to try some hobby to make theirl life better but due to the limitation (limitation that came from physical, finansial and intellect) they became depressed and want to commit ctb. Not to mention about work time that makes them unable to do those hobby.

Another example is trying to make a buisness, well on paper, this idea can works pretty well because you are your own boss and you dont have to take order from anyone. But, you have to remember that creating a buisness is not just trying to runaway from 9 to 5 jobs, you have to had a good proposal for your buisness. Buisness itself is all about solving a problem and monetize the solution that you offer, note that you can create a buisness with a generic idea but the change of it being succesful are going to be small.

So, my conclution is that people who said "try everything" is either ignorant cause they dont know that trying something needs time and effort. If it guarenteed 100%, maybe those people won't hesitated to tried but some people are not blessed by unlimited money or super genius brain.

I also haven't mentioned about "try everything" in term of mental health healing right? It gonna takes so long to write about that again, but regardless i think if you still had a slightest hope in life, i suggest you tried something that's on your reach. Im actually still trying to get a job so i can see my worth :)

• Love
WeDontKnowTheFuture

WeDontKnowTheFuture

Student
Feb 3, 2023
We know that trying everything has no limit, it is impossible. However, I felt the need to try everything wich was appealing to me but now that the list is over i can say that i tried everything in some way. I tried cognitivo behavioural therapy, psychoanalysis, Antidepressants, ayahuasca, mediatation, yoga, psylocibin, group talks, EMDR, hypnose, traveling, energetic work, micro-physiotherapy.. I'm done. I still see a psychiatrist to please my mother but i know it makes no sense as i don't have the will to live anymore.

• Hugs
R

ropearoundatree

Experienced
Nov 9, 2023
No- not at all- the question is open to any way people want to answer it. I guess ultimately, we can only ever fully answer it from our own perspectives. I guess I just try to pose questions with both a personal perspective and one that tries to understand all perspectives and maybe why we have them. But- both your replies are perfectly valid.
Yes! I like the way you happen to think, and tend to present things, on here. :) Very clear, and focused (of mind). Kind of the opposite of mine, really... ;)

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
some things i feel i want to try/do before i ctb, but not everything. that would take an entire lifetime and i still wouldn't do everything. i just want to feel complete and happy when i ctb, not look back and say "oh shoot i should've done this".

there's not much i feel the need to do before i ctb though. listen to all my songs, maybe finish my sketchbook, maybe try a few more drugs and more alcohol. i feel for the most part i've done a lot of what life has to offer. in a way i'm glad for all my experiences, still happy to leave soon though.

• Hugs
Reactions: ropearoundatree, Forever Sleep and WAITING TO DIE
FrostedHoax

FrostedHoax

Student
Dec 1, 2022
The one thing that I'd want to experience is a relationship with someone that actually loves and cherishes me but it's not like I can exactly just go out and easily find someone like that. Oh well. I suppose that's just not meant for me and that this is the universe's way of telling me that it despises me and wants me dead.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: movinout17, ropearoundatree, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 65988

No

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, ropearoundatree and Forever Sleep
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
"everything" is relative bc it depends on when someone gives up. I think people should try to recover as long as they can do it and as long as they want to do it. But often a point is reached where we think we've done everything maybe not everything but what is acceptable for us.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ropearoundatree and Forever Sleep
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
No, I'm suffering from anhedonia and exhaustion, and I'm not inspired to try anything else before I die. I wish I didn't suffer from anhedonia so I could complete an insane bucket list prior to passing away.

I don't even want to eat "unsafe foods" because I don't want to die fat! lmao

What's on your bucket list?

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Forever Sleep, ropearoundatree and 1 other person
movinout17

movinout17

Student
Feb 2, 2023
I don't think so, but I would want to try things if I had the motivation, ability and vision.

Maybe I don't want to try things that badly.

I just haven't been that lively for most of my life, and I've always wished I was.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
No, I'm suffering from anhedonia and exhaustion, and I'm not inspired to try anything else before I die. I wish I didn't suffer from anhedonia so I could complete an insane bucket list prior to passing away.

I don't even want to eat "unsafe foods" because I don't want to die fat! lmao

What's on your bucket list?

There are a few places I'd like to say 'goodbye' to. Mainly the sea and rivers/waterfalls. Some I've been to but some I've only driven past briefly and would love to see properly.

I don't like being fat but I love food too much to care at the moment. It's one of the only things I take comfort in.

I'm sorry you suffer from anhedonia. That's got to make everything more difficult.

• Hugs
Reactions: Little_Suzy and Praestat_Mori
CouldaHvBeenARock

CouldaHvBeenARock

Farewell, My Concubine
Nov 16, 2023
Being chronically ill makes you live in a different world
You learn to live day by day,
cause even on a good day there's no way I'm going to have a bucket list I can feasibly complete
I enjoy the moments I can
I try to squeeze in some magical moments when I can
But at the end I wouldn't change much even if I were to die soon

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Skathon, Little_Suzy and 1 other person
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
There are a few places I'd like to say 'goodbye' to. Mainly the sea and rivers/waterfalls. Some I've been to but some I've only driven past briefly and would love to see properly.

I don't like being fat but I love food too much to care at the moment. It's one of the only things I take comfort in.

I'm sorry you suffer from anhedonia. That's got to make everything more difficult.

There are many lovely places around the world. Do you have a favorite river or waterfall, or do you have no preference?

It would be wonderful to travel to Mexico or Thailand and have a good time before everything is completed. Yes, living with anhedonia is quite challenging, particularly if you were formerly active.

• Hugs
daocreator

daocreator

Unstable uni student
Nov 29, 2023
In my case I see it as preferable to die regardless of the circumstances. What I see as the true problem is existence itself, and to me wanting to cease existing on my own terms is very rational. I'm never able to understand how suicide is supposedly so tragic when it prevents all future unnecessary suffering in an existence that was completely undesirable in the first place.

Wanting to die is all that makes sense to escape from the cruelty and futilty of existence, I don't see any value in being burdened with the ability to suffer in this objectively hellish reality, to exist means to suffer so pointlessly with the risk of suffering way more always being there.

So therefore I see existence as best avoided, all that existence does is create problems that there was never a need for in the first place with no limit as to how much one can be tormented. Only eternal non-existence is desirable for me, it isn't like anyone can suffer from being dead anyway.
I do think the same but am not sure whether I should keep on thinking that way as all of my reality is based solely on my thoughts & expectations. Even though everything that is currently happening is already something I expected to, as if it's all a while for my locked consciousness in this body until it finishes its 'play', I'm not sure if going full CTB mode, yet. Ofc, I may deny myself later since I'm bipolar

• Hugs