• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Have you experienced learned helplessness?

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
melancholymallory03

melancholymallory03

Do cats live nine lives ? Or do humans ⏰
Feb 20, 2024
Although I think it's been proven …. Just want to ask what you guys think on the topic of humans and learned helplessness I've only seen examples about it being done on animals , humans seem to be especially hopeful , or creative in our attempts to fight our suicidal ideationss . But hey what do I know about humans …
? What do u think about this topic ?

melancholymallory03

melancholymallory03

Feb 20, 2024
well... yes? if you study psychology it's very real. and as a person who most definitely has learned helplessness... yeah
Thank u for sharing 🧡
I just was curious on the poll how many people would identify with having learned helplessness , or might have it. I don't study psychology srry

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I very much have learned helplessness, though I feel like it's rather warranted. I've been in treatment for my mental health since I was a young child. I have tried every program and treatment available to me. You name it I've tried it. Over half my life was spent trying to fight my own mind. I tried things multiple times over. I tried alternative treatments and lifestyle changes. And yet after all these years I almost feel like I'm worse, and at the very least I'm in the same spot that I was when it all started. I no longer am seeking any treatments because I know they won't help. The only things I have not tried are ketamine and TMS, and those aren't accessible to me for financial reasons. Even if they were, I am simply convinced that I am beyond help, so why bother? And as such, if I believe they won't help, they are more likely to fail, so why bother?

Similarly, I don't trust myself. Everytime I've had a period of doing better or being in recovery I have always come crashing down just as low. I no longer trust myself to be okay. If I am okay, it is fleeting and I should not get used to it.

melancholymallory03

melancholymallory03

Feb 20, 2024
I very much have learned helplessness, though I feel like it's rather warranted. I've been in treatment for my mental health since I was a young child. I have tried every program and treatment available to me. You name it I've tried it. Over half my life was spent trying to fight my own mind. I tried things multiple times over. I tried alternative treatments and lifestyle changes. And yet after all these years I almost feel like I'm worse, and at the very least I'm in the same spot that I was when it all started. I no longer am seeking any treatments because I know they won't help. The only things I have not tried are ketamine and TMS, and those aren't accessible to me for financial reasons. Even if they were, I am simply convinced that I am beyond help, so why bother? And as such, if I believe they won't help, they are more likely to fail, so why bother?

Similarly, I don't trust myself. Everytime I've had a period of doing better or being in recovery I have always come crashing down just as low. I no longer trust myself to be okay. If I am okay, it is fleeting and I should not get used to it.

I'm so sorry 😞 whatever it's worth

I can relate to being thrown into multiple treatment programs , strip searched … lots of bad things , having to eat with my hands to not use sharps everything …

I hope you can trust yourself one day , I can immensely relate to those words , I also don't trust myself I fear.

Feels like the damage has been done …. 🧜‍♀️

I wonder if learned helplessness can be reversed ?
And also what is tms therapy? I've heard of ketamine therapy , but I also do not have access to this where I'm from and do not think it would be beneficial as I am habit forming.

fleshgarden

fleshgarden

Mar 15, 2023
Thank u for sharing 🧡
I just was curious on the poll how many people would identify with having learned helplessness , or might have it. I don't study psychology srry
oh yeah no shade to you or anything. this poll just confused me and I remembered not everyone knows psychology..

• Love
Reactions: melancholymallory03
ferret-in-a-sock

ferret-in-a-sock

Jan 25, 2023
Sufferer of it here too. I had really ineffective therapists and despite lots of treatment programs, no dice. They always seemed to imply if I learned coping and learned I was traumatized, I'd open my eyes and be a productive human.

But unlearning helplessness formed from trauma isn't an all-or-nothing fix. It's a series of habits, personality traits, and fears.

There's some things I unlearned but overall, there's still lots of my life given to being helpless/giving up. There's a lot im upset about.

I used to set the bar really high for what 'better' behavior would look like before I finally dragged it down and made a to-do list that just had one thing on it a day.

I think it's about regaining control where you can. Focus on one thing at a time. Therapists seem to want you to run the marathon, when really you should probably just be taking a walk around the block as the entire goal for the day.

WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

if only this was just a simulation
Jun 25, 2022
Yes. Society has beaten me down and crushed my spirit. I have no will to improve myself. They see me as a threat, or an unwanted element who can't benefit them, so instead they stomp on my head to keep me in my place. Driving me to suicide, or keeping me unemployed is a success to them. I've been neutralized. Completely defeated.

DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

Desperate to go--
Mar 14, 2024

Spravato? Auvelity or just dextromethorphan? Insurance won't cover Auvelity so I'm doing it DIY. Still no change but others have had success. Worth a try.