nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
So, before the pandemic in February of this year, I signed up with an acting agency here in Ireland. Me and my female friend went to both sign up. I'm a black male in my 20s who is 5ft 5in, and I believe IMO, too dark skinned. I also have crooked teeth. I'm not that good looking.

My female friend on the other hand is around the same height as me, but white and blond hair/blue eyed.

Despite us both signing up for the acting agency at the same time, our results 7 months later have been very different. I've gotten no calls/auditions from the acting agency whereas she's gotten three offers. She was offered a role in May to feature as an extra for a PSA regarding the pandemic. She's also received two more offers for Fair City at the start of this month.

Do you think it's because of my race/attractiveness? This type of things make me suicidal. I would like to lighten my skin/straighten my teeth. Many other black people I talk to who have auditioned here say they have not gotten many, if any roles.

• Hugs
Reactions: KleinerWolf
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Honestly, I think it's because you're black in the UK, not because of your looks. You shared your photo before, you're not too dark, you're not unattractive. If you want to get your teeth straightened, go for it, but do it for you. Height doesn't matter, most Hollywood male actors are short. Also, if you were so unattractive, you wouldn't have had all those FWB partners. What you're facing is discrimination in an industry that is overwhelmingly white. There may be a challenge for lighting when casting darker skinned people with lighter skinned, so wear ligtening makeup, don't fuck with your skin and risk permanently damaging it, then you'll just have something else to want to ctb over.