N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
In Germany this is called the killer game debate. I recently read that argument. There was a shooting in my country and someone in a media outlet said inter alia also the more and more realistic video games are responsible for that. Which is utterly nonsense.

When I was younger there was another shooting in my country. The culprit liked to watch anime (Dragonball Z) and played video games. Here is a history lesson for you "kids" (irony). This was the time when they started to heavily censor many animes in German TV. Gladly this belongs to the past nowadays.

Here is an article on the topic.

"Particularly in the early 2000s, dubious evidence regarding violent video games was uncritically promoted. But over the years, confidence among scholars that violent video games influence aggression or violence has crumbled."

"Two years later, I found evidence that scholarly journals' editorial biases had distorted the scientific record on violent video games. Experimental studies that found effects were more likely to be published than studies that had found none. This was consistent with others' findings. As the Supreme Court noted, any impacts due to video games are nearly impossible to distinguish from the effects of other media, like cartoons and movies."

"Any claims that there is consistent evidence that violent video games encourage aggression are simply false."

Personally I thought about it today because I played a shooter and asked myself whether it is appropriate to play such a game while in other parts of the world real wars are happening, However I came to the conclusion it is morally okay because there is a huge differrence between playing a video game and fighting in a real war. Video games never incited me to be violent. Rather the opposite it is a valve for aggressions and tensions. It is eustress for me and a good way to distract me.

I think one of the first adult games that I played was GTA. I was a teenager to that time. I can remember the torture scene and I did pretty stupid shit in that game. But it only was game and did not have any negative impact on me. In contrast the gore I watched at that age rather increased my feeling of depression and self-hatred. This was a negative way how I coped with the domestic violence and abuse. The video games were harmless in comparison.

One thing that tormented when I wrote these words. I told some guys at this age what I did that time. And one of them shamed me pretty hard. He also laughed at me when I latter had a mental breakdown. It makes me pretty sick when I think about it. These people were so presumptuous. So many people blamed it on me when I collapsed. However they had no idea about the abuse and violence that happened as a child and teenager.

Though Lil Peep is probably right when he said well I had to learn "most people suck".

So the answer of the title question is. No they don't incite violence according to empirical evidence.

• Informative
Reactions: Ultracheese
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
Why do you think people always want to blame video games? Is it purely looking for a scapegoat or do you think they're unable to comprehend the idea of there being multiple causes for violent acts, many of which are not always obvious and upfront?

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, kernel_panic and Lost in a Dream
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Why do you think people always want to blame video games? Is it purely looking for a scapegoat or do you think they're unable to comprehend the idea of there being multiple causes for violent acts, many of which are not always obvious and upfront?
Personally I think in the US they use it primarily to deflect the attention for stricter gun laws to other topics. In my country I think primarily the conservatives who make this argument are biased and it is caused by prejudices about new types of media.

However both forms are probably part of the discussion in both country. I wanted to emphasize the word primarily. It is always difficult to make a judgement on a country you don't live in.

Reactions: Ultracheese
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
Personally I think in the US they use it primarily to deflect the attention for stricter gun laws to other topics. In my country I think primarily the conservatives who make this argument are biased and it is caused by prejudices about new types of media.

However both forms are probably part of the discussion in both country. I wanted to emphasize the word primarily. It is always difficult to make a judgement on a country you don't live in.
That's interesting that you mention prejudice against new media forms. When faced with concepts they don't understand, I think many people become naturally opposed to them and try to address their discomfort by rallying against them. I don't know what it's like in Canada, but here in the US, media tends to be very centered on the good guy v bad guy narrative with little room for anything outside of that template in terms of morality. I wonder if the inability of many people to separate fiction from reality contributes to this problem.

Reactions: noname223
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
video games r a way to vent out the inner cravings of violence within us. but that has no correlation to taking the leap to actually shoot irl

Reactions: StolenLife and Lost in a Dream
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Sadly, my parents (who are old school) still believe in the BS that violent media causes violent behavior. Even though it has been debunked, there is no use for me to argue with them. It may also partially be why I didn't have the luxury of enjoying the things I want growing up (which I'm sure is a factor towards my suicidality and development, though there is likely more than that to it). I don't even argue with my parents over anymore inane points, they aren't likely to change their views (and in the rare even they did, it wouldn't have any major impact on my current life).

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
From the first commercial game in 1972 and the famous controversies of the 90s with Mortal Kombat and Carmageddon it is clear that there is no kind of relationship, although I cannot deny that they serve as incentives for people who have a certain predisposition, but in this case the game would be a trigger, not the cause of his violence.

//

Desde el primer joc comercial l'any 1972 i les famoses polémiques dels 90 amb Mortal Kombat i Carmageddon és evident que no hi ha cap tipus de relació, tot i que no et puc negar que serveixin d'estímuls a persones que tinguin certa predisposició, però en aquest cas el joc sería un detonant, no pas la causa de la seva violència.