N

nohopeleftanymoreno

Jul 9, 2022
I know I do. I am not sure why, but not using contractions causes me less stress. I am trying to use contractions more and more, though - as I have been previously told I write like a robot. I will slip an "I'm" or ''It's" (instead of "I am" and "It is") into written conversation every so often, but I have to actively concentrate on doing that. Does anyone else experience the same thing?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: akana, obafgkm and Life_and_Death
Q

QuietEnd

Doing the work
Jul 8, 2022
I'm autistic and I don't have this processing element. I do have other patterns of behaviour around language though, and some words have a sense of right or uncomfortable to them.

Like I really enjoy the feeling that comes with the word defenestration.

• Love
Reactions: akana and nohopeleftanymoreno
N

nohopeleftanymoreno

Jul 9, 2022
I'm autistic and I don't have this processing element. I do have other patterns of behaviour around language though, and some words have a sense of right or uncomfortable to them.

Like I really enjoy the feeling that comes with the word defenestration.
That is really interesting. I did not even know what defenestration meant, but I have just looked it up. It does seem like a satisfying word. It is interesting that people have different behavioural habits regarding autism.

Reactions: QuietEnd
Q

QuietEnd

Doing the work
Jul 8, 2022
That is really interesting. I did not even know what defenestration meant, but I have just looked it up. It does seem like a satisfying word.
That's part of why I like the word.... It's so helpful to be able to express it that moment of huge frustration that something needs to just get away from me... To be thrown out the window.
It is interesting that people have different behavioural habits regarding autism.
Yes I think a lot of the behaviour stems from self-soothing. How can we deal with the world that is not designed for us, not supporting us, is the opposite of what we need, that is designed to inflect harm on us.... How can we sooth ourselves, it's the only thing we have left.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: akana and Pluto
Chara

Chara

Severe pain? But no gain.
Jul 22, 2023
Personally avoid using terms of self but that's cause the brain damage make them a lot harder, they all look the same in a way can't explain so not cause am autistic so yeah sorry for confusion am more likely to avoid them when feeling uncomfortable though

Edit 1: or formal. Or a lot of things honestly