Have anti-depressant/ anti-psychotic medications worked for you?

• Total voters
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm just curious with people's experiences. I've probably heard mostly bad things about anti-depressants. They either haven't worked, or caused more problems. Some people have had better experiences though.

Personally, I probably didn't give them enough of a chance. I went on one course of Fluoexetine (Prozac) years ago but it didn't seem to do anything. I used to take St. John's Wort and 5HTP but I'm more focussing on prescribed medications here. What are your experiences?

• Hugs
Reactions: Absolutely Mad
she

she

one day at a time
Apr 9, 2023
My first medication was Zoloft. After a couple of months, I felt really suicidal.
I was switched over to Wellbutrin & Seroquel, and they really did help me for the duration of time that I was on them.
I stopped taking them at some point because I didn't want to continue paying out of pocket for the medications. Unfortunately,
it has been extremely difficult for me to function without them. I should probably start taking them again, but I figure that if
I'm going to be CTB any time soon, it doesn't really matter at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
C:/

C:/

Apr 10, 2023
I am currenty on Zoloft, and honestly I can't tell if they help or not. I just suffer when im on them or not :/

• Hugs
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
anti-depressant haven't worked for me but anti-psychotic have in particular olanzapine for treatment of schizophrenia

• Hugs
Absolutely Mad

Absolutely Mad

Apr 10, 2023
Looking forward for the results. Never tried any, but I am seeing a therapist soon.

I think it would help me to lower my expectations, or prepare for everything to become worse.

• Hugs
redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
Past few years I've been on and tried mirtazapine, escitalopram, sertraline, nortriptyline (in combination with lithium) and none of them made me feel any better or really did anything, but for me the side effects were also insignificant for most of these.

Right now I have been on tranylcypromine (a MAOI) for 2 months and I think it's finally doing something. I don't really feel like good or anything but I sometimes have days/phases where I just feel kinda numb/empty making it easier to do like basic tasks or get out of bed. Side effects are more significant though and I also have to follow a restricted diet for it but it's worth it for me to at least not feel depressed *all* the time and sometimes have those numb moments.

It hasn't made me any less suicidal at all and ironically I've been planning and taking steps towards ctb more now because it's just easier to do things in general thanks to the numb moments. Something my psychiatrist was afraid of could happen too so I guess they're somewhat familiar with the dangers of that.

• Hugs
Stormy Raine

Stormy Raine

Quietly counting down the days, hours, minutes..
Apr 7, 2023
Prozac has helped me function in life, made it easier to work without crying all day. Yes, I still have the same problems but it helps me to get out the bed. Sometimes it takes trial and error but to me medication is a must!

• Hugs
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
i think medication is a must. It hasn't worked for me but I didn't get long enough to try it properly (I only did it for a couple months when I was studying for one year in a foreign country... in my home country mental illness is basically still treated like a joke or makes u a leper).

• Hugs
Y

Young.Werther

Student
Apr 11, 2023
Thinking about medication and would love to know more about your experiences.

I'm worried it might functionally be similar to a lobotomy. I certainly am not a medical expert, but in my head a lobotomy "works" in the sense that the treatment makes the patient not appear like they want to CTB. The thing is, we don't know what's going on inside their head post-lobotomy. Like what if it's no different than failing a CTB attempt and being trapped inside your body?

Idk, I don't want to be trapped inside my head by medications. I think I sound a bit loony right now, but I'd really appreciate hearing more. Did you ever feel trapped inside your body by the medication?

• Love
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Thinking about medication and would love to know more about your experiences.

I'm worried it might functionally be similar to a lobotomy. I certainly am not a medical expert, but in my head a lobotomy "works" in the sense that the treatment makes the patient not appear like they want to CTB. The thing is, we don't know what's going on inside their head post-lobotomy. Like what if it's no different than failing a CTB attempt and being trapped inside your body?

Idk, I don't want to be trapped inside my head by medications. I think I sound a bit loony right now, but I'd really appreciate hearing more. Did you ever feel trapped inside your body by the medication?
For me- no- I wasn't on them long enough. They didn't seem to do anything for me but give me a metallic taste in my mouth. Nearing the end of the course, I got a creative project to do which was and still is (but to a lesser extent) my salvation. It was obvious that it was that making me feel better- rather than the drugs- so- I didn't go back for more.

Hearing from other people though- it seems like some of them definitely do just numb out all emotions- even the more pleasant ones by the sounds of it. People have talked about feeling more like a robot or zombie- so- I do understand why you would be nervous.

Maybe it's worth you checking the search bar- or starting a new thread to ask about people's experiences. There definitely would be a wealth of them here I would think. I guess the only thing is- people do seem to react differently on them. It does seem to help some people. I suppose it's just whether you feel willing to try.

At the moment, I don't feel quite desperate enough. Mine has become more of a lethargy towards life- more than intense unhappiness- although I'm sure that will return!

Anyhow, I wish you well- whatever you decide.

• Love
Reactions: Young.Werther
gardenofaphrodite

gardenofaphrodite

Can’t catch a break no matter what I do.
Apr 12, 2023
I'm just curious with people's experiences. I've probably heard mostly bad things about anti-depressants. They either haven't worked, or caused more problems. Some people have had better experiences though.

Personally, I probably didn't give them enough of a chance. I went on one course of Fluoexetine (Prozac) years ago but it didn't seem to do anything. I used to take St. John's Wort and 5HTP but I'm more focussing on prescribed medications here. What are your experiences?
I've had my anti-depressant/anxiety prescription changed so many times, I stopped taking them (+ was way out of my financial budget), so many of them made shit so much worse. I also suffer with (diagnosed) insomnia & sleeping meds made it 10x worse. Jealous of the people it works for ngl, I wish a pill could help me.

• Hugs