• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Does what Canada is doing make sense?

• Yes, definitely. This, or something like it, is what every country should do.

• Yes, but the possibilty of abuse is a real issue that should not be discounted.

• Maybe./I'm honestly on the fence./Too hard to determine from this article

• No. While I support physician assisted suicide, this is far too open to abuse.

• No, I am opposed to physican assisted suicide in cases of mental illness.

• No, I am opposed to physican assisted suicide on philosophical grounds.

• Just show results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019

'Disturbing': Experts troubled by Canada's euthanasia laws

https://archive.ph/5IPzG - Archive link

Curious what others think about this. Hence the poll.

My first thought was that it is very much a good thing, but upon a bit of reflection I'm starting to think it is too open to abuse. Euthenizing somebody who's deaf solely for that reason really doesn't sit right with me. I actually have to answer "no" to the poll on that basis; that there's too much chance of abuse. While in theory I support this, the implementation seems horribly flawed. Even if the "blah, blah, blah Nazis" stuff had me rolling my eyes. Seems to me we've reached a point where anyone who says something I disagree with is a Nazi, but that's probably a thought for a different thread.

Anyhoo, stuff like this gives me pause:

The Nichols family were horrified that his death appeared to be approved based partly on Alan's hearing loss and had other concerns about how Alan was euthanized. They lodged complaints with the British Columbia agency that regulates doctors and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, asking for criminal charges. They also wrote to Canada's minister of justice.

"Somebody needs to take responsibility so that it never happens to another family," said Trish Nichols, Gary's wife. "I am terrified of my husband or another relative being put in the hospital and somehow getting these (euthanasia) forms in their hand."

The hospital says Alan Nichols made a valid request for euthanasia and that, in line with patient privacy, it was not obligated to inform relatives or include them in treatment discussions.

odradek

odradek

Mage
Sep 16, 2021
I think this a pretty damning indictment of our late stage capitalist society. That the poor, disabled and sick would seek out euthanasia rather them finding alternatives. I agree with the right to die but our society is so messed up that dying is easier than living.

I thought the final line summed it up perfectly:

"In an era where we recognize the right to die with dignity, we must do more to guarantee the right to live with dignity,"

We cannot live with dignity clearly so dying with dignity becomes palatable for those who would otherwise not. It's sad and disturbing.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I can definitely understand the concerns here. I don't want to see anyone pressured into this decision, which includes economic pressure. However it is even more alarming to me the possibility that someone might not have access to a peaceful death if they want. My perspective comes from the desire to limit suffering as much as possible. I'm not smart enough to figure out the best implementation, but Canada's laws seem like a step in the right direction. I don't think there will ever be a perfect solution because life is completely FUBAR and there will always be unforeseen problems. Maybe there can be a couple more safeguards to prevent outside pressure e.g. from doctors.

I don't know exactly what happened in the case outlined in the article, but I am a little skeptical that deafness was actually the only cause for euthanasia. It says he was already depressed and suicidal, but Canada's laws do not yet allow for mental illnesses. I take more issue with the involuntary hospitalization that he wanted to be "busted out" from. A person's desire for euthanasia generally indicates to me the abundant awfulness of life and society more so than an issue with euthanasia laws.

Last edited:
Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
FB IMG 1660966592867

Expert opinion is easy to claim, often I find the claim is hardly showing their expertise. How come Head of Human's Rights deny basic human's right to die, that's so fucked up experts, but fortunately overall Canadians are moving in the right track for betterment of current and future life for those who choose to stay without negating the liberation for those who loves freedom to no longer exist.

tiredplant777

tiredplant777

Student
Jul 23, 2021
I think this a pretty damning indictment of our late stage capitalist society. That the poor, disabled and sick would seek out euthanasia rather them finding alternatives. I agree with the right to die but our society is so messed up that dying is easier than living.

"In an era where we recognize the right to die with dignity, we must do more to guarantee the right to live with dignity,"

We cannot live with dignity clearly so dying with dignity becomes palatable for those who would otherwise not. It's sad and disturbing.
Thank you articulating this so well. I completely agree.

E

eve2004

DEAD YESTERDAY
Aug 17, 2019

Everything you said. 100%. Please send this to the Canadian government, media, etc.

• Hugs
Reactions: odradek
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
How about we remove the WPATH red tape from the process of providing gender-confirming HRT and surgery to adult patients, and stick it onto MAID instead? I see no particular reason why I needed a "permission slip" from a therapist I'd been seeing for at least six months in order to start taking testosterone. I see even less of a reason why I'd need the signoff of two therapists if I were to pursue genital surgery. I am certainly not surrounded by family members and healthcare system bean counters urging me to medically transition unecessarily. However, since we already have WPATH's 40+ year old collection of safeguards and backup safeguards, we might as well put it to the sensible purpose of preventing what are essentially homicides hiding in plain sight.

Honestly, it galls a bit to think of playing "Mother, May I?" as a prerequisite of accessing MAID too, but in that case there really are legitimate concerns about reluctant caregivers putting inappropriate pressures on people who really want to live, but don't have the resources to do so.