B

Bloodtearsdust

Mar 16, 2019
Has anyone had any luck stopping themselves from thinking about suicide? If so how did you do it? I take antidepressants, and for the most part they are ok, they are definitely not a magic bullet for me. I am looking at lifestyle changes to help. I actually did not think very much about suicide until I tried a series of SSRI's. I switched to a different class of meds and that has helped... I'm at a point where I don't want to CTB but I still visualize myself hanging somewhere sometimes.

• Hugs
Reactions: mediocre and hatelife
chris8000

chris8000

Experienced
Dec 10, 2019
It's good you want to get better. Have you tried CBT? Not CTB lol.

My long term partner basically ran off in my early 20s and I was suicidal for ages, actually what got me out of that was mindfulness meditation and going to stay at a Buddhist monastery, which was a lot more fun than it sounds. That was just my experience.

Yeah lifestyle stuff is a good idea, exercise routine etc? Try and do what makes you feel better, I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes people get stuck doing things that are the opposite which is easy to do.

Eat dark chocolate, that's what I do at the moment to keep me happy.

Reactions: Bloodtearsdust, enjoy and Final Escape
H

hatelife

Experienced
Oct 13, 2019
yes its on my mind always. even ECT that im doing now doesnt help, I think im an impossible case to treat sadly

Reactions: Bloodtearsdust and Final Escape
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
The only time it's not at the front of my mind is when I'm really distracted by whatever it is I'm doing. But as soon as I'm idle again, it's back.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Bloodtearsdust, mediocre, Final Escape and 1 other person
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Distraction, distraction and distraction, is the one and only thing that works for me. Reading, this place and lots of music.

Reactions: Bloodtearsdust, Final Escape and Flume
enjoy

enjoy

Creature
Dec 20, 2019
honestly... keeping busy. our brains tend to function in the moment, as most humans live in the moment when their mind isn't idle and wandering. when i'm with a friend or someone else, i never think about ctb.

rewarding yourself (in moderation) can work, too. spoil yourself every now and then. buy your favorite food, get that sweater you've been eyeing for the past few weeks... but don't get heart disease or become an excessive spender, y'know?

oh, and immersing yourself in your hobbies. i play guitar and i get really into it if i'm jamming hard. i don't have time to think about ctb when i'm trying to get down a certain chord progression. listening to your favorite songs, starting a new personal project or picking up something are a few things you can try, if you'd like.

i, too sort of want to get better, so i can see where you're coming from. i'm sorry that your meds have been giving you a hard time. like chris8000 said, cbt is great and a lot of people do. there's also dbt (dialectical behavior therapy), which i tried out last summer. it was very pleasant and relaxing.

i wish you the best of luck!

• Hugs
Reactions: Bloodtearsdust and mediocre
B

Bloodtearsdust

Mar 16, 2019
yes its on my mind always. even ECT that im doing now doesnt help, I think im an impossible case to treat sadly
Have you tried mushrooms? It's definitely disheartening when nothing works, or makes it worse
Distraction, distraction and distraction, is the one and only thing that works for me. Reading, this place and lots of music.
Yeah I haven't been doing as much lately, and I definitely think it's contributing. I like the fact I can actually mention it here.. It's freeing.
The only time it's not at the front of my mind is when I'm really distracted by whatever it is I'm doing. But as soon as I'm idle again, it's back.
Definitely going to do more distracting things. I play the fiddle.. it helps
It's good you want to get better. Have you tried CBT? Not CTB lol.

My long term partner basically ran off in my early 20s and I was suicidal for ages, actually what got me out of that was mindfulness meditation and going to stay at a Buddhist monastery, which was a lot more fun than it sounds. That was just my experience.

Yeah lifestyle stuff is a good idea, exercise routine etc? Try and do what makes you feel better, I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes people get stuck doing things that are the opposite which is easy to do.

Eat dark chocolate, that's what I do at the moment to keep me happy.
I was quite an outdoor enthusiast, I still am... but winter is more limiting.. our winters are pretty extreme here. I may look into Buddhism and meditation. I feel like I'm on the right track... but it's that same pattern I can't seem to shake. I can't look at rafters or anything with bars really without seeing myself in a noose. I have not figured out how to replace or derail this image.
honestly... keeping busy. our brains tend to function in the moment, as most humans live in the moment when their mind isn't idle and wandering. when i'm with a friend or someone else, i never think about ctb.

rewarding yourself (in moderation) can work, too. spoil yourself every now and then. buy your favorite food, get that sweater you've been eyeing for the past few weeks... but don't get heart disease or become an excessive spender, y'know?

oh, and immersing yourself in your hobbies. i play guitar and i get really into it if i'm jamming hard. i don't have time to think about ctb when i'm trying to get down a certain chord progression. listening to your favorite songs, starting a new personal project or picking up something are a few things you can try, if you'd like.

i, too sort of want to get better, so i can see where you're coming from. i'm sorry that your meds have been giving you a hard time. like chris8000 said, cbt is great and a lot of people do. there's also dbt (dialectical behavior therapy), which i tried out last summer. it was very pleasant and relaxing.

i wish you the best of luck!

I think I'm going to try CBD oil. I will look into DBT as well. I have seen a psychologist.. but I have not brought up my suicidal images. I play the fiddle and it definitely helps. This is a long road forsure

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: hatelife
H

hatelife

Experienced
Oct 13, 2019
Have you tried mushrooms? It's definitely disheartening when nothing works, or makes it worse

Yeah I haven't been doing as much lately, and I definitely think it's contributing. I like the fact I can actually mention it here.. It's freeing.

Definitely going to do more distracting things. I play the fiddle.. it helps

I was quite an outdoor enthusiast, I still am... but winter is more limiting.. our winters are pretty extreme here. I may look into Buddhism and meditation. I feel like I'm on the right track... but it's that same pattern I can't seem to shake. I can't look at rafters or anything with bars really without seeing myself in a noose. I have not figured out how to replace or derail this image.

I think I'm going to try CBD oil. I will look into DBT as well. I have seen a psychologist.. but I have not brought up my suicidal images. I play the fiddle and it definitely helps. This is a long road forsure
nope I have not, sadly, there are plenty here in fall time in sweden out in the woods to find free