• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
To those of you suffering from Depression and need support to help those around you understand your condition, here is are some explanatory videos that may help. Or to those trying to understand their own Depression and are open to perspective that may be useful.

I hope this is of help. Please share your welcomed thoughts.

I understand that focusing for 1 hour may be challenging so here is a brief introductory clip.

In less than one minute, thirty seconds:

The compelling lecture in less than one hour:

G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Can you give us the cliff notes?
Please?

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Please?

Whoa there... that's quite a request from me that I'm not sure I can fulfill because firstly I feel I am not qualified and secondly because it has been a while since I last listened to this lecture. I also just left the hospital last week so my cognitive abilities are really limited and confusing.

Sapolsky compares getting juvenile diabetes to getting depression and how ridiculous it is to consider it anything but as serious and as real... from what I remember. Hope that helps.

Will probably listen to it again soon and I will try to update if requested.

I shorted the clip of the clip. I hope it sums it up? I think it's less than a minute long.

Last edited:
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
That was a great lecture. Thanks for posting it. I'm going to share with a few people. I really struggle with explaining why I'm so I exhaused all the time when I do nothing and often get paralyzed by simple seeming things and get nothing accomplished. Even the most supportive people I know can't understand that, if they've never been depressed. I think this might help.

Please?
It basically just explains depression, arguing that it's an actual disease, like diabetes, that you can't just decide to stop having. It's good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
There is a popular misconception of T2diabetes, that it happens to fat people as they get older.

Utter bollocks.

Everyone, every single one of us, is slowly over time, becoming diabetic.
As time progresses and we get older, we all suffer from increasing insulin resistance. Or bodies become tolerant to the action of insulin on our glucose metabolism.
This is part of the natural ageing process, but it is accelerated by the bias in the modern diet towards consuming excessive amounts of carbohydrates.
Thank the Neolithic, landscape clearance and agriculture.
What did you have for breakfast? Cereal? Toast? Fruit juice? All carbs.
Protein, and especially fat, mitigate against insulin resistance, so if you have a balanced meal, it's less of a problem.
But the cheap food is carb based. And tasty. And addictive.
And what's worse, we've been conditioned into believing it's healthy.
It's not.
We need fats. And shit loads of vegetables (which are carbs + fibre, which mitigates against the action of the contained carbs on blood sugar).
Monounsaturated fats from vegetable sources are essential, but instead we are sold carb based cereal products (bread) which are then artificially fortified with the nutrients they are naturally lacking in.
LOL what a crock.
Food lacking in nutrients, so artificially fortify it?
Fuck me if we aren't lost.

I struggle with this. I still eat refined carbs, though I try not to. I have many symptoms of diabetes, though my blood sugars are still normal.
But insulin resistance can progress over years, whilst your blood sugar stays normal. By the time you are diagnosed... you get the picture.

What is a balanced diet? Keto is a over reaction to being seriously ill. It works, but it's not without it's long term consequences. I may yet have to try it.
Palaeolithic? Sounds good to me. Cultural evolution has eclipsed biological evolution: we do all sorts of shit that our bodies are not actually equipped to deal with.
I'd suggest this: eat nothing that has a list of ingredients. Eat only whole food. So no pies, pasta, bread, rice, etc. Veg and meat and seasonal fruits.

Is this linked to your mental state? Do you really have to ask the question? Of course it is. The distinction between mental and physical is created by fuck-wits. It's not related, it's the same thing. The more we try to treat ourselves based on purely mental ,or physical concerns, the more we damage ourselves.

Change what you can change. If you can't change your thoughts and feelings, then change your diet. It may not cure you, but without a realistic foundation, nothing else will cure you either.

And yes, I have problems there myself. I try and practice what I preach, but I invariably fail. It's really hard.

Last edited: