nico_wren

nico_wren

Maggot (they/them)
Feb 14, 2023
I know that lots of people with depression struggle taking care of themselves. Personally, I overclean in the shower and take baths because they're comforting. However, I struggle with hygiene in one area severely. Brushing my teeth. I just can't be bothered, and even when I try I just forget and have a hard time building back up the habit. It's honestly been years since I've done it consistently. When I've tried to talk to others they look down on it and act like they're so above it even when they supposedly also struggle with depression. Like, I'm not looking for judgement, just helpful tips that other people have found worked in their life with similar situations. Thanks :)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: aSilentVoice, Laivirt, je.suis.prêt and 5 others
valkyrie

valkyrie

Feb 11, 2023
Maybe fun flavoured toothpaste (there are plenty online which are different to regular mint flavour) or light up toothbrush would help?
I like putting on a song and brushing for the duration of the song.

• Love
Reactions: aSilentVoice, je.suis.prêt, Venus13 and 6 others
dw33ter

dw33ter

meow meow
Jan 23, 2023
Totally understand where you're coming from, also struggling with that.

One thing that helped me was to set just a small goal / monthly resolution (e.g. if I brush my teeth twice a day every day for the month of January, I'll reward myself with <insert reward here>). It helped me get the ball rolling, and even though I missed 2 days, in the end I did feel like I accomplished something. I'm still trying to figure out how to carry this into the long term (struggling a bit more with consistency this month because of external stress factors, which made me forget / not feel like it more often), but I hope this would be a good starting point.

Reactions: aSilentVoice, je.suis.prêt, AloneInCollege and 2 others
A

Abyssopelagic

Feb 2, 2023
I've found it helpful to have some mouthwash on hand to use on the days where you want to brush your teeth but can't. I do this kind of thing in that my biggest hygiene struggle is showering and I've been using baby wipes to do a cursory clean every few days until I can get myself into the shower, though I do the mouthwash thing as well from time to time. It's not a perfect replacement, but it's a way to build up a habit that you can then gradually introduce actual tooth-brushing to. Plus, sometimes doing /anything/ to help you feel cleaner is a boost in and of itself. I like the idea introduced above to having small goals and rewards as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: aSilentVoice, je.suis.prêt, AscendedBeing and 2 others
nico_wren

nico_wren

Maggot (they/them)
Feb 14, 2023
I've found it helpful to have some mouthwash on hand to use on the days where you want to brush your teeth but can't. I do this kind of thing in that my biggest hygiene struggle is showering and I've been using baby wipes to do a cursory clean every few days until I can get myself into the shower, though I do the mouthwash thing as well from time to time. It's not a perfect replacement, but it's a way to build up a habit that you can then gradually introduce actual tooth-brushing to. Plus, sometimes doing /anything/ to help you feel cleaner is a boost in and of itself. I like the idea introduced above to having small goals and rewards as well!
I did that for a while, I got a tongue and lip piercings so I had to consistently use mouthwash. Unironically, getting pierced was when I was the most consistent hygiene wise :p

Reactions: je.suis.prêt
archiemex

archiemex

Feb 14, 2023
There are automatic toothbrushes that brush all your teeth for you but if you don't want to pay for a new toothbrush then i suggest just setting small goals for yourself and gradually increase them overtime. For example you could set an alarm for the morning three or so times a week and then setting an alarm for all days of the week and finally setting one for both night and morning. :,)

Reactions: aSilentVoice, je.suis.prêt and nico_wren
bijou

bijou

meow meow meow
Jan 23, 2023
colgate makes disposable mini toothbrushes, no water, rinsing or toothpaste is required to use them. you can literally keep them next to your bed and just use them then and there. they're called "maxfresh wisp disposable toothbrushes"

there are also really no set-in-stone rules as to when you have to brush in a day, it could be 12pm you brush first and 3am when u brush last. the dentists say twice a day, not "you MUST brush at 8:30 am SHARP, and 8:30pm SHARP or else you cannot ever brush at all!"
go easy on urself, it's a hard thing to remember, especially when you may have bigger things on your mind.

• Informative
Reactions: aSilentVoice, je.suis.prêt, toro and 1 other person
sleepydreamer

sleepydreamer

tired but hopeful
Feb 12, 2023
nothing you should be shamed for, everyone struggles with different things, i barely brush my teeth as well. maybe set alarms for every morning and/or evening? leave sticky notes where you'll see them to remind you. if you plan your days, add it to your schedule, or to a to-do list. if you really struggle and you can't do it consistently, what i do sometimes is, the moment i think "oh shit, i haven't brushed my teeth today" if i can, i just drop whatever i'm doing and i go brush them (i stopped writing this just now to go brush mine because i hadn't done it in a few days :P ) idk what else to suggest, i struggle to keep the habit going as well, but hopefully it's just my adhd making things harder and these tips might help you. and don't feel bad if you miss a day, just do as much as you can <33
Maybe fun flavoured toothpaste (there are plenty online which are different to regular mint flavour) or light up toothbrush would help?
I like putting on a song and brushing for the duration of the song.
playing music helps me get in the shower so i totally see that working with brushing teeth too!! i gotta try that

Last edited:
Reactions: je.suis.prêt and nico_wren
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I know that lots of people with depression struggle taking care of themselves. Personally, I overclean in the shower and take baths because they're comforting. However, I struggle with hygiene in one area severely. Brushing my teeth. I just can't be bothered, and even when I try I just forget and have a hard time building back up the habit. It's honestly been years since I've done it consistently. When I've tried to talk to others they look down on it and act like they're so above it even when they supposedly also struggle with depression. Like, I'm not looking for judgement, just helpful tips that other people have found worked in their life with similar situations. Thanks :)
I'm a dental freak and my dental health is very important to me so this suggestion might be a little extreme for normal people, but I got a smart toothbrush from oral b that has it's own app. I love statistics and smart tools so I spent several hundread euros/dollars on it and I enjoyed using it. It gives you scores and ratings and encouraging messages, you can also customize your toothbrush somewhat. I chew a lot of extra sugarfree gum too, I take daily fluoride suppliments, calcium ones too, and I use mouth wash, again this might be a little too much for most and unnessescary for those with healthy teeth and routines, but I get anxious if I don't follow all of this.
I did that for a while, I got a tongue and lip piercings so I had to consistently use mouthwash. Unironically, getting pierced was when I was the most consistent hygiene wise :p
I had a lip piercing when I was 15, but removed it because I didn't want it to damage my teeth in any way. Started freaking out about that.

• Love
Reactions: aSilentVoice, LittleJem, je.suis.prêt and 1 other person
AscendedBeing

AscendedBeing

Feb 15, 2023
I've struggled with a LOT of this myself and the main thing that helps is setting alarm/reminders on my phone. Also I'll leave sticky notes around as a reminder too.

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
i also struggle with that and always have. i try to make it my goal that i brush my teeth before i leave the house. i have work 5 days a week and typically have some reason or another to leave on the other two days. it doesn't always work, but usually i'm able to remind/convince myself to brush my teeth for fear of other people noticing that my breath smells bad, especially when i have work

nico_wren

nico_wren

Maggot (they/them)
Feb 14, 2023
i also struggle with that and always have. i try to make it my goal that i brush my teeth before i leave the house. i have work 5 days a week and typically have some reason or another to leave on the other two days. it doesn't always work, but usually i'm able to remind/convince myself to brush my teeth for fear of other people noticing that my breath smells bad, especially when i have work
I have only had one person say my breath stinks, and it was because of food. I think I just don't have it that bad luckily. But I'm definitely still fearful of that!

Reactions: aSilentVoice and je.suis.prêt
B

Bardo

Arcanist
Jan 25, 2023
I have only had one person say my breath stinks, and it was because of food. I think I just don't have it that bad luckily. But I'm definitely still fearful of that!
Listerine breath strips help. I'm scrupulous about my hygiene, though I drink coffee around the clock and am way too lax about brushing my teeth at night. But I insist on smelling great and use witch hazel on my skin, make my own lotions using Vaseline cocoa butter lotion (or a generic analog) and put about one ounce of Nag Champa skin-safe oil in it, shake it well, and voila. Also have Dolce Gabbana original scent for men. It is awesome. A stunning gal I chatted up at the store yesterday gave me her card and number without my even asking. I'm not saying it was because I small great, but it didn't hurt.

Reactions: nico_wren and je.suis.prêt
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
Set a goal for yourself to at least use some mouthwash each day. Even if all other forms of hygiene are temporarily neglected, your teeth will be looked after. It's better than nothing.

You could also try wearing headphones on the way to the bathroom for a bit of stimulation/dopamine :)

Related story:

I am (was?) in exactly the position you were in with regard to oral hygiene. What happened to me, which was quite unfortunate, was the development of toothache that hindered my chewing which required subsequent expensive treatment.

Losing the ability to chew freely on my depression meals™ followed by an expensive treatment kind of pushed me to resume looking after my teeth. Even if it was the only form of hygiene I succeeded (?) at.

Reactions: aSilentVoice and nico_wren
nico_wren

nico_wren

Maggot (they/them)
Feb 14, 2023
I keep trying to do it before I leave the house, like has been suggested, but I'm always in such a hurry to leave and be on time that I forgetttt :(

je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
I keep trying to do it before I leave the house, like has been suggested, but I'm always in such a hurry to leave and be on time that I forgetttt :(
Your record won't be perfect from the start, but will improve over time. Keep trying to be consistent with it :)

• Love
Reactions: nico_wren