Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
Does being depressed mean being ungrateful about good things in your life?

Does being bored mean you don't have serious problems in your life?

Does being worrieed about issues mean you have a negative mindset?

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lostandlooking, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 6 others
Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
According to some people, yes. My mother used to love reminding me how 'ungrateful' I was.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, ColorlessTrees, waitingforrest and 6 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
It makes sense that you fixate on the bad if you're depressed. I don't necessarily think ungratefulness is such an awful thing though. It means you want better for yourself, and if you can take some steps to improve your situation, then great. Sometimes knowing what you don't like/aren't happy with is more important than knowing what you do like.

Reactions: cyanol, WrongPlaceWrongTime, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 3 others
DontplayGod

DontplayGod

She/her
Feb 6, 2022
Honestly I really don't care if it's ungratefulness. I never asked to be here so I'm not going to be grateful for something I was forced into

• Hugs
Reactions: cyanol, WrongPlaceWrongTime, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 7 others
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Let me think...

A few years ago I was clinging to life hoping to improve mine. Right now I only live regretting the decisions I made which left me in this situation and hurt my friends. To undermine my depression do I have to return to that horrible place where I had to struggle for everything? Are my options really to distract myself by struggling to eat or struggle with my own mind from a place that consumes me?

I could try again from a less favorable spot, but I don't feel like it, I can't forgive myself for the things I did and for being such a useless daughter, sister and friend, all my life I have caused harm to others, they will be better if I just disappear , it'll be like a bandage, it is better to remove it suddenly than little by little.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking, ColorlessTrees, waitingforrest and 3 others
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
Let's see...bullshit!!! Bullshit!!! Aannnnnd nothing but Grade A, factory-farmed, victim-blaming BULLSHIT!!! Not to mention the methane production that gaslights an individual for decades, if not their entire existence.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, ColorlessTrees and 2 others
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Let's see...bullshit!!! Bullshit!!! Aannnnnd nothing but Grade A, factory-farmed, victim-blaming BULLSHIT!!! Not to mention producing enough methane to gaslight someone for decades, if not their entire existence.
An amount of shit comparable to the Great Horse Manure Crisis indeed.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Rogue Proxy
Sunset Limited

Sunset Limited

I believe in Sunset Limited
Jul 29, 2019
If someone accuses you of being ungrateful for being depressed, tell them how good it is to be neutered.

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Crazy4u and 1 other person
Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
I'll take a crack at this:

That's a way of looking at it that isn't necessarily incorrect. Quite literally, if I am depressed, but there are good things in life that have every reason to make me happy, and I am still depressed anyways, that would require some lack of appreciation or gratefulness of those things on an emotional level. The same would go for boredom if there is entertainment, or excessive worry when a perspective shift would have me look at things differently.

The problem with viewing depression as mere ungratefulness, though, is that there must be a cause for this ungratefulness that is not present in the normal person. Something is causing it to happen, and even if the depressed person is "ungrateful" that doesn't solve anything or really get us a solution. The chemical makeup of the brain is causing the problem, so it's unlikely that telling depressed people to not be depressed and be grateful instead will help.

Maybe it could help some. Maybe being confronted with this will cause a perspective shift which could set someone down a better path, but it's not likely.

• Informative
Reactions: Ringo and Crazy4u
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
Thanks everyone. I feel better after reading the responses. I usually don't talk to people about stuff like that but it came up. The person thinks he is a friend and starts telling me all positive crap to help me!

I supress everything because noone treats me like a human and thinks my feelings matter. I feel grateful enough but I hate it when people say everyone has problems you are lucky to have a job....etc

I am so bored and sick of my life it has no meaning

• Hugs
Reactions: Ringo, WrongPlaceWrongTime, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person