hoppybunny

hoppybunny

Fearer of the Future
Jun 26, 2024
I'm not like mentally ill in the sense that I get hallucinations just like regular depression and anxiety.

However when my grandma passed away this April on Easter morning. My brain convinced me she would come back in three days like Jesus from the dead.

It's August and obviously that didn't happen but I was fully convinced she didn't fully die and that she would come back to me.

I just want to know if anyone has ever been that delusional when grieving and if it's normal or not.

• Hugs
Reactions: damienlerone03, Life_and_Death and sancta-simplicitas
sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Arcanist
Dec 14, 2023
I'd say it's normal. It's a defense mechanism known as denial and it happens to most people who goes through grief. It happens because the full force of the loss would be too much to deal with at the same time, so to be able to deal with it in "smaller portions" the psyche can completely deny that the loss has occured at all. Sort of cushions the blow for a while. It usually lasts for a couple of days but can go on for longer depending on the individual prerequisites for dealing with grief. Sometimes it can even suddenly come back, seemingly out of the blue.

My condolences.🫂

• Love
Reactions: hoppybunny and Life_and_Death
hoppybunny

hoppybunny

Fearer of the Future
Jun 26, 2024
I'd say it's normal. It's a defense mechanism known as denial and it happens to most people who goes through grief. It happens because the full force of the loss would be too much to deal with at the same time, so to be able to deal with it in "smaller portions" the psyche can completely deny that the loss has occured at all. Sort of cushions the blow for a while. It usually lasts for a couple of days but can go on for longer depending on the individual prerequisites for dealing with grief. Sometimes it can even suddenly come back, seemingly out of the blue.

My condolences.🫂
Thank you so much. I knew I was in denial but I didn't know it would get this bad for me to actually believe biblical miracles would happen to me. Even as a catholic I fully did not believe miracles can actually happen in this day and age but I fully believed in that moment I'd be the exception.

• Hugs
Reactions: sancta-simplicitas and Life_and_Death
WallowingWillow

WallowingWillow

Apr 10, 2024
I went through the same thing when my dog passed away suddenly earlier this year. I was googling how to time travel, convinced that there MUST be a way to go back in time to change the series of events that led to his death. The delusion went away after a few days but I remember how intense it was. You're not alone 🤍

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: sancta-simplicitas and hoppybunny
hoppybunny

hoppybunny

Fearer of the Future
Jun 26, 2024
I went through the same thing when my dog passed away suddenly earlier this year. I was googling how to time travel, convinced that there MUST be a way to go back in time to change the series of events that led to his death. The delusion went away after a few days but I remember how intense it was. You're not alone 🤍
Thank you so much. And my deepest condolences. Passing away is so hard

• Love
Reactions: WallowingWillow