stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
Even when I don't want to hurt myself, I have this really deep desire to do it. Whether it be with suicidal intent or not, I can't shake it. I don't know why. I don't know how to get rid of it other than to just do it. It's different than urges. It's not impulsive. It's just a feeling at my core that I HAVE to hurt myself. Can anyone relate or share insight?

• Hugs
Reactions: donealready, webawl, NHLTradeRumor and 6 others
Depresso

Depresso

Feb 9, 2023
I've felt this before and it got really bad during some serious depressive episodes. I can't really tell what causes it and it's just elusive to me. It's like I get these urges to mutilate myself...almost like I need to hack away at myself down to the very core of my being. Sometimes I've even broken down and cried because I can't give myself relief from the feeling.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: subhumantrash, donealready, NHLTradeRumor and 2 others
LocalAngel

LocalAngel

Lost, wanting out.
Feb 7, 2023
I very, very very heavily relate friend. I'm self destructive to my very core, and i still don't fully understand why. My main theory for myself is, basically, trauma... but yeah.

Pretty much all you can do is try and distract until it becomes too much to deal with. Talk it over with a therapist, and don't lie about how deeply rooted it is. Even if that can be hard to admit to others.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: donealready, LoiteringClouds and stilhavinightmares
stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
I very, very very heavily relate friend. I'm self destructive to my very core, and i still don't fully understand why. My main theory for myself is, basically, trauma... but yeah.

Pretty much all you can do is try and distract until it becomes too much to deal with. Talk it over with a therapist, and don't lie about how deeply rooted it is. Even if that can be hard to admit to others.
Ugh. I equate it to trauma as well. Like, I'm just subconsciously used to being hurt so that's what I crave…at least that's my main running theory. I never really explored it too much with my therapist. It used to be more impulsive so it was mainly focusing on not doing it. But it's definitely really frustrating because even when I don't want to die I feel like I need to, even if it doesn't work, and I don't want to hurt anyone in the process. I want to try but if it doesn't work I don't want to have to deal with the pain I'll cause others in my attempt.
I've felt this before and it got really bad during some serious depressive episodes. I can't really tell what causes it and it's just elusive to me. It's like I get these urges to mutilate myself...almost like I need to hack away at myself down to the very core of my being. Sometimes I've even broken down and cried because I can't give myself relief from the feeling.
Oh yes, I get them very violently too. I used to cut to deal with it. Self harm is so not sustainable though. 😭

• Hugs
Reactions: LocalAngel
rest in peace

rest in peace

Feb 23, 2023
i have had this recently, in fact, i dont even realize ive done it until im done, somewhat. its like im dissociated during it. i also feel like it helps with getting used to doing risky stuff. perhaps if i keep doing it for a long times, i wont chicken out when its my time to cbt

stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
i have had this recently, in fact, i dont even realize ive done it until im done, somewhat. its like im dissociated during it. i also feel like it helps with getting used to doing risky stuff. perhaps if i keep doing it for a long times, i wont chicken out when its my time to cbt
I actually was contemplating just giving in to self harm urges just for that reason. But it's not worth the addiction and the having to hide it. I definitely relate to dissociating during it. I know exactly why I used to self harm but I can't really relate it that much to this feeling, that was an addiction and an outlet and this feels different. It's hard to explain. I feel like I need to die by my own hands. Even when I don't want to.

innominesatanas44

innominesatanas44

🇷🇸
Feb 16, 2023
Every week I get this urge to piss someone off just so I can have them violently beat the shit out of me. Hasnt happened yet but I hope it does someday :^)

• Yay!
Reactions: lonelyy, NHLTradeRumor and stilhavinightmares
rest in peace

rest in peace

Feb 23, 2023
I actually was contemplating just giving in to self harm urges just for that reason. But it's not worth the addiction and the having to hide it. I definitely relate to dissociating during it. I know exactly why I used to self harm but I can't really relate it that much to this feeling, that was an addiction and an outlet and this feels different. It's hard to explain. I feel like I need to die by my own hands. Even when I don't want to.
maybe you shouldnt do it, i did regret doing it after i came to my senses, its also annoying having to keep the cuts covered, clean and moist so they dont scar too bad, and the sting when there's some kind of friction is really uncomfortable. i dont know if it would be worth it, i dont really feel anything today, so im not talking from an emotional standpoint, but you shouldnt do it seeing that there isnt really anything theyre gonna do for you, apart from making you uncomfortable.

stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
maybe you shouldnt do it, i did regret doing it after i came to my senses, its also annoying having to keep the cuts covered, clean and moist so they dont scar too bad, and the sting when there's some kind of friction is really uncomfortable. i dont know if it would be worth it, i dont really feel anything today, so im not talking from an emotional standpoint, but you shouldnt do it seeing that there isnt really anything theyre gonna do for you, apart from making you uncomfortable.
I agree with you. I haven't done it and I don't think I will. Honestly when I used to self harm I just got labeled as having borderline and treated like shit so there's just too many negative consequences (along with the ones you stated obviously) to even bother. Thanks. ❤️

• Hugs
Reactions: rest in peace
rest in peace

rest in peace

Feb 23, 2023
I agree with you. I haven't done it and I don't think I will. Honestly when I used to self harm I just got labeled as having borderline and treated like shit so there's just too many negative consequences (along with the ones you stated obviously) to even bother. Thanks. ❤️

im really sorry people treat you that way :( you deserve so much better, people are just shit.

I

iwantdeath6969

Oct 17, 2022
i feel the exact same way. i know deep down that no matter what i do, i deserve pain and need to feel it

• Hugs
Reactions: donealready
I

iwantdeath6969

Oct 17, 2022
Love to you. ❤️❤️❤️

What do you think it comes from?
well, for me, i started hating myself a lot and committing to giving myself an increasingly worse quality of life after i realized im transgender. i figured that if im going to exist in a way that i don't approve of for myself, then i want it to be as undesirable as possible. but at this point, it has spiralled way beyond just that reason and now i hate everything about myself. i recognize that there is no good inside of me, and no matter what i do, i'll never make up for the bad i bring to the world.

why do you feel this way?

NHLTradeRumor

NHLTradeRumor

wow life sucks
Dec 13, 2022
God I can relate to that. I'm really only active on the suicide discussion part of this website, but I saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I feel that desire to hurt yourself comes from hatred/dislike of yourself or a part of yourself. I have disfigured my arms and legs from the amount of self-harm I've done, so I have a lot of hatred about myself, which is mainly caused by me being trans. Regardless of if you actually deserve the pain or not, our minds tend to think bad on ourselves compared to others, at least with people like us. The self-harm addiction sucks ass, and it's really hard to kick it, so keep doing your best to not self-harm!!

stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
well, for me, i started hating myself a lot and committing to giving myself an increasingly worse quality of life after i realized im transgender. i figured that if im going to exist in a way that i don't approve of for myself, then i want it to be as undesirable as possible. but at this point, it has spiralled way beyond just that reason and now i hate everything about myself. i recognize that there is no good inside of me, and no matter what i do, i'll never make up for the bad i bring to the world.

why do you feel this way?
That makes sense. It isn't your fault that you were born into the wrong body though, so how do you justifying hurting yourself and making things worse for yourself? I can only justify it when I'm trying to override survival instincts and kill myself. I think my desire to self harm also comes from a place of self hatred, no matter how much I try to convince myself I'm not an evil person.
God I can relate to that. I'm really only active on the suicide discussion part of this website, but I saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I feel that desire to hurt yourself comes from hatred/dislike of yourself or a part of yourself. I have disfigured my arms and legs from the amount of self-harm I've done, so I have a lot of hatred about myself, which is mainly caused by me being trans. Regardless of if you actually deserve the pain or not, our minds tend to think bad on ourselves compared to others, at least with people like us. The self-harm addiction sucks ass, and it's really hard to kick it, so keep doing your best to not self-harm!!
Thanks for chiming in! I'm sorry you feel this way too. My body is also full of scars. I was born the right gender but everything else about me feels wrong. Just know that you sincerely don't deserve pain, but you deserve compassion and grace. Corny, I know, but also true. You aren't inherently bad.

I

iwantdeath6969

Oct 17, 2022
i don't know, it feels like even though it's not my fault, the choice to transition feels like i'm making the world a worse place by living as a trans person :( i guess i have a lot of self hate about it. do you have any idea where your self hatred comes from?

i usually use self harm as a punishment for myself. do you use it the same way?

stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
i don't know, it feels like even though it's not my fault, the choice to transition feels like i'm making the world a worse place by living as a trans person :( i guess i have a lot of self hate about it. do you have any idea where your self hatred comes from?

i usually use self harm as a punishment for myself. do you use it the same way?
That makes me so sad. My wife is trans. The world did YOU a disservice, not the other way around. You deserve to live in the body that is most you. Hugs hugs hugs.

I view it as punishment sometimes, other times just a release and to feel something. I don't really logically agree with punishing myself but of course that part deep inside me wants to.

I

iwantdeath6969

Oct 17, 2022
That makes me so sad. My wife is trans. The world did YOU a disservice, not the other way around. You deserve to live in the body that is most you. Hugs hugs hugs.

I view it as punishment sometimes, other times just a release and to feel something. I don't really logically agree with punishing myself but of course that part deep inside me wants to.
thank you for saying this, i'm honestly never expecting kindness about being trans so i really appreciate it.

i feel the same way. the more i've been thinking about it, the more i think i just decided to start hating being trans so that i could have an excuse to punish myself more. and at this point i take any excuse i can get, i usually beat myself up really bad physically if i even do so much as drop a fork. i think i'm addicted to self harm, but i'm not sure if i developed the addiction because i have a deep seated desire to hurt myself, or if that desire developed because of my addiction.

i'm not sure if any of that resonates with you, but you definitely aren't alone in feeling like you need to hurt. i don't know if i'll ever be able to stop. i don't even know if i want to.

do you think there's anything you've done to deserve the pain?

stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
thank you for saying this, i'm honestly never expecting kindness about being trans so i really appreciate it.

i feel the same way. the more i've been thinking about it, the more i think i just decided to start hating being trans so that i could have an excuse to punish myself more. and at this point i take any excuse i can get, i usually beat myself up really bad physically if i even do so much as drop a fork. i think i'm addicted to self harm, but i'm not sure if i developed the addiction because i have a deep seated desire to hurt myself, or if that desire developed because of my addiction.

i'm not sure if any of that resonates with you, but you definitely aren't alone in feeling like you need to hurt. i don't know if i'll ever be able to stop. i don't even know if i want to.

do you think there's anything you've done to deserve the pain?
I definitely empathize with those feelings. I think it's probably a bit of both: a deep feeling of needing to hurt yourself PLUS the added bonus of the psychological and physiological addiction of self harming. Lucky us!

I have definitely done some things I can point to as worthy of pain, but I'm a very forgiving person which also extends to myself (because ultimately I'm not special or different than any other person)…BUT it truly feels like something cosmic that pushes me to think I deserve pain.

Then suicide is like self care to me because it frees me from the pain that I never actually deserved.

Makes total sense. 😂

AJwantsToGo

AJwantsToGo

♡ Your Average Bad Person ♡
Feb 24, 2023
I recommend you read into harm OCD, but yeah, I relate a lot. My life could be going decent and I still obsess over hurting myself.

stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
I recommend you read into harm OCD, but yeah, I relate a lot. My life could be going decent and I still obsess over hurting myself.
Thanks! I have a very very basic understanding of harm OCD and I think your recommendation is on point. Will do. Sorry you can relate. ❤️

• Hugs
Reactions: AJwantsToGo
AJwantsToGo

AJwantsToGo

♡ Your Average Bad Person ♡
Feb 24, 2023
Thanks! I have a very very basic understanding of harm OCD and I think your recommendation is on point. Will do. Sorry you can relate. ❤️
I mean, hey, we're on this forum for a reason. We all struggle in some way. I think once you read about it you will understand why this is a thing your mind does. I'm glad I was able to help a bit :heart:

webawl

webawl

Nov 13, 2022
I have OCD and experience a lot of harm OCD (and I suspect I may also be borderline) and I can't relate to this more. Like you said, it's a desire that just sort of feels "right." I'm not entirely sure what makes these thoughts so persistent or why they feel the way they do, but it's probably trauma and my strong sense of self-loathing. Oftentimes I'll cave and self harm. It provides minimal comfort from these thoughts, so I wouldn't recommend it but I mostly do it for the hit of dopamine/feeling of euphoria which I understand is still very very unhealthy of me.

In my case, I can sometimes dismiss intrusive violent thoughts as "just" OCD. I tell myself these thoughts are just my silly mind playing tricks on me, that I don't REALLY want to hurt myself at this moment. Sometimes I believe it.

Other times I just "redirect" that anger to the future, in a way. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's kind of like procrastinating on intrusive thoughts. I'll tell myself I'm not currently in a good situation to have these thoughts (maybe I'm trying to get schoolwork done or something similar) and that I can think about hating/harming myself later, once I finish what I'm doing. Of course, this doesn't always work and I will often just spiral into further thoughts of self harm/suicide but I've found it's just a process of figuring out what works and when.

Reactions: Nillionaire
stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
I have OCD and experience a lot of harm OCD (and I suspect I may also be borderline) and I can't relate to this more. Like you said, it's a desire that just sort of feels "right." I'm not entirely sure what makes these thoughts so persistent or why they feel the way they do, but it's probably trauma and my strong sense of self-loathing. Oftentimes I'll cave and self harm. It provides minimal comfort from these thoughts, so I wouldn't recommend it but I mostly do it for the hit of dopamine/feeling of euphoria which I understand is still very very unhealthy of me.

In my case, I can sometimes dismiss intrusive violent thoughts as "just" OCD. I tell myself these thoughts are just my silly mind playing tricks on me, that I don't REALLY want to hurt myself at this moment. Sometimes I believe it.

Other times I just "redirect" that anger to the future, in a way. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's kind of like procrastinating on intrusive thoughts. I'll tell myself I'm not currently in a good situation to have these thoughts (maybe I'm trying to get schoolwork done or something similar) and that I can think about hating/harming myself later, once I finish what I'm doing. Of course, this doesn't always work and I will often just spiral into further thoughts of self harm/suicide but I've found it's just a process of figuring out what works and when.
I like the techniques you use. They actually sound healthy - the redirection/procrastination as well as stepping back and framing the thought as just an OCD thought. I'm sorry you struggle with these thoughts too but it's nice to have someone relate so completely. I am not diagnosed with OCD but I have been diagnosed with BPD in the past and can definitely relate the thoughts to that and the trauma. I just wish it made sense in a way that would motivate me to keep living and not always be fighting with myself against hurting myself. It's not impulsive like self harming was much of the time for me. It's so different. And no matter how much I procrastinate it (I can come up with anything to convince myself it's not the right time) I can't get rid of it completely and it almost seems to build up more the more I wait.

N

Nillionaire

Jul 11, 2021

It is very very difficult to shake the feeling that hurting myself is correct and that that is how thing should be and how the arc of my life should end. It feels like every moment of my life has been leading up to such complete misery that I'll simply cease to live. It makes it really hard to do anything with a payoff beyond a day or so, and even then I mostly focus on gratification that comes in a couple hours.

• Love
Reactions: stilhavinightmares