T

TheEndOfTime

Sep 27, 2018
Was wandering if anyone knows if a death in service benefit would be likely to cover suicide or not?

Would it be similar to life insurance where they only pay out only if you've been in it for so long?

I'm in the UK and have been in it for just over 2 years. It's not really a question I feel I could ask my boss without it being suspicious.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brink
B

Bensharp

Mar 18, 2021
Google is your friend and should that fail quora. If the people on this site can't help help

Latios

Latios

Experienced
Nov 22, 2020
I'm not British but this site ~may~ help:

So (if I'm understanding it correctly), it depends on your specific contract with your employer, so I think you should consult that.

These big companies are of course very stingy when it comes to paying out stuff like this. IIRC, American insurance companies tried to get out of paying life insurance compensation to some of the victims of 9/11 because they jumped from the burning wtc buildings, and the insurance companies argued that this counted as suicide, and they were therefore not obligated to pay. Bleh. What a wonderful world we live in, right?

Tackingintothewind

Tackingintothewind

Mage
Mar 2, 2021
If you are talking about the armed forces, I dont think so but your spouse should still be entitled to half the forces pension you have acquired during said service

GarageKarate07

GarageKarate07

Wizard
Aug 18, 2020
You could join the service and die in combat. Then your family might get a lot of insurance. You might even enjoy the service for a while. Maybe not.