S

slj25

Aug 15, 2020
Hi there, I was just wondering on whether cutting my wrists is actually a viable method to ctb. I've cut my wrists before using a disposable razor that I've removed the plastic around the edge it so that part of the razor blade is exposed. Once I was a little drunk and cut it relatively deep sideways 2 different spots on my left wrist and they bled like crazy, but it actually didn't really hurt too badly. If I were to ctb using by cutting, I know I would have to cut longways but I was wondering where on my wrist, how deep should it be, should I cut multiple times, should I cut on both wrists and should I use the razor or something else like a knife. Thanks.

• Hugs
Reactions: VIBRITANNIA, Wisdom3_1-9 and Isadeth
vacant_n

vacant_n

Aug 13, 2020
Personally I'd stay away from this method. If the statistics I've seen are correct you're not especially likely to succeed, and even if you do you'll have to cut deep and go through a significant amount of pain.

Reactions: Isadeth
A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
Two problems.
1. Blood clots, so have to a find a way so it doesn't.
2. As you lose blood, you're not able to address problems, which is why exsanguination is not feasible.

Reactions: Moonbounce and Isadeth
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
This method has a <6% chance of being fatal. It's not reliable for most, but some have succeeded.

I'll give a shocking example that is personal to me.

Not long ago, my fil ctb. He chose this method, mainly because a gun was not available to him like his father before him.

He was not found by us for 14 days. You can imagine the sight. However, with clean up the next day, there was an amazing amount of blood, especially for carpet. I would have guessed he made multiple cuts or at the very least hesitation cuts.

When I spoke to the coroner on call for his unattended death, as well as the crime unit, I discovered it was only one cut. It was both comforting and surprising. He used a brand new 8" chef knife with a self sharpening sheath.

One cut, 4 inches across his wrist and only about 3mm deep. He managed to hit both his radial and ulnar arteries. I'm still shocked, honestly.

Slitting your wrists is not a reliable method, but it is possible. But the odds are against you.

• Aww..
Reactions: sparkie, falloutcarter13, GoneGoneGone and 1 other person
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Given the relatively small chance of success, the painful nature of the process, and the visibility of your attempt leading to potential involuntary commitment, I would strongly advise against this. You know yourself and your situation best, but it seems to me, as an outside observer, that there might be better paths for you.

T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
Wristcutting is one of the less risky ctb methods. I never considered it.

S

slj25

Aug 15, 2020
This method has a <6% chance of being fatal. It's not reliable for most, but some have succeeded.

I'll give a shocking example that is personal to me.

Not long ago, my fil ctb. He chose this method, mainly because a gun was not available to him like his father before him.

He was not found by us for 14 days. You can imagine the sight. However, with clean up the next day, there was an amazing amount of blood, especially for carpet. I would have guessed he made multiple cuts or at the very least hesitation cuts.

When I spoke to the coroner on call for his unattended death, as well as the crime unit, I discovered it was only one cut. It was both comforting and surprising. He used a brand new 8" chef knife with a self sharpening sheath.

One cut, 4 inches across his wrist and only about 3mm deep. He managed to hit both his radial and ulnar arteries. I'm still shocked, honestly.

Slitting your wrists is not a reliable method, but it is possible. But the odds are against you.
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. You're probably right about the odds being against me, if I miss the arteries it won't be good. I'll probably find another way then.

Given the relatively small chance of success, the painful nature of the process, and the visibility of your attempt leading to potential involuntary commitment, I would strongly advise against this. You know yourself and your situation best, but it seems to me, as an outside observer, that there might be better paths for you.
Yeah that's a good point, there's better ways to ctb I feel in hindsight.

A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
Yeah you end up with visible scars. Only way not to would be to go for femoral artery but cutting there is super painful, super sensitive area.

falloutcarter13

falloutcarter13

Bury me, bury me...
Aug 1, 2020
If you're truly wanting to ctb, this is one of the hardest and least successful ways to go about it. If you have a clotting issue, hemophilia or something, it might be an option. I've done this, deep, vertical cuts on both wrists, and the bleeding had mostly stopped before I ever received treatment - I really doubt it would have been fatal even untreated. The consequences are high, as you're likely to end up on a psych hold. Nerve damage is extremely possible, you could wind up with poor motor control in your hands and fingers. Not to mention the scars you have to try to either hide or explain away. I'm still going to ctb, but I wish I'd never attempted with this method. Its just not the way to go, imo.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
As others have said this is not a reliable method. You can reduce clotting with blood thinners, and learn the anatomy to ensure you get the artery. The problem is if you miss you're in for a world of pain to try to find the mark, and it's easier said than done.

Using a surgical scalpel would work much better than a knife, and you would have better odd with the femoral artery, cut it is much deeper and now you're cutting through muscle. You also have arteries in your neck, but you need some serious balls to cut your own neck, and don't miss and hit mess up your all the fun things you need for breathing and turning your head in case it doesn't work.

pick another method. This can work, but it's really hard, fails a lot, and bleeding out feels awful.