Ifonlysheknew

Ifonlysheknew

Apr 24, 2018
I know I have a heap to deal with, impending doom. But ofc now I'm at a point that my coping mechanisms are not very healthy.
I know I could still do that, but maybe not all the time

So, those nights when you're lying in bed and can't get up to distract yourself by doing sth, what do you guys do?
Even with sleeping pills, it takes a while to doze off
What do you do as you lie in bed waiting for sleep to come?

I usually end up holding my phone in my hand and scrolling, but my eyes aren't even focused and I'm just pondering abt my 2000 issues

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, Soul, marcusuk63 and 5 others
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
podcasts, but it's hard to find one that won't shout and wake you up.

Reactions: Dartz
Dreamcolleger

Dreamcolleger

I surrender... I SURRENDER!
Apr 26, 2019
Put some music on

Reactions: Painted Bird
S

saomao

Student
Jun 12, 2019
im smoking and hopping to get cancer soon

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, H2H2, crimea_river and 3 others
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
I know I have a heap to deal with, impending doom. But ofc now I'm at a point that my coping mechanisms are not very healthy.

So, those nights when you're lying in bed and can't get up to distract yourself by doing sth, what do you guys do?

I usually end up holding my phone in my hand and scrolling, but my eyes aren't even focused and I'm just pondering abt my 2000 issues
Same problem as you. Combination of melatonin, eating celery which makes me sleepy, and also using a sleeping mask to sleep helps 100000000 percent. Also, music helps so much to get my mind off things. Its like an escape for me. So music definitely helps. If your looking for a way to effectively sleep, a sleep mask and listening to nature sounds such as sounds of rain drops or like a rain storm, its actually extremely soothening and peaceful and feels amazing. Idk, might just be me but theres a ton of playlists out there for there and it helps me and dozens of others as well. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Deleted member 1496, Soul, marcusuk63 and 1 other person
Bulletwbttrflywings

Bulletwbttrflywings

My soul is awakened... and I’m f*cked
May 29, 2019

Same issues.

I drink a good 3-4 ipa beers a night. Every. Single. Goddam. Night. to fall asleep. So I may not be the best person to contribute but it works for me. Anxiety gets the best of me.

Sometimes I'll listen to podcasts, sometimes I play a YouTube video on hypnotherapy but then get worried if they're going to say some fucked up shit when I'm deep asleep. Sometimes I'll listen to the thunderstorm music channel... sleep music...

Following so I can get some more ideas too.

• Hugs
Reactions: crimea_river, SinisterKid, marcusuk63 and 1 other person
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
I used to be able to cope but now nothing works anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, marcusuk63 and not_a_robot
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
i get up and do night time diy lol , i`ve ran out of things to do now though , i usually think i know i`ll do this , last time it was take all the silicone out from the kitchen and bathroom and re do it lol
then that tile annoyed me as it was covered by the old wider plastic sockets and i didnt have any spares so a boxed in my boiler pipes so i could steal one to replace it the next night lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_151839.jpg
    IMG_20190608_151839.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190613_103335.jpg
    IMG_20190613_103335.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 1496, Soul, crimea_river and 2 others
M

Markyv

Jul 8, 2019
podcasts, but it's hard to find one that won't shout and wake you up.
Try the how stuff works series, all put me out. Or try some audio books, librivox are free and usually read by normal people speaking slowly.

T

Thorn

Wrecked
Jun 8, 2019
Working with power tools at night when others sleep.

• Love
Reactions: puppy9, Soul and marcusuk63
dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
I just hug my blanket and pretend it's someone, I'm actually that pathetic now. But sometimes it calms me down.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: JMB, throwaway123 and marcusuk63
Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
I write stupid things and send it to newspapers. It helps keep my mind off of things.

Reactions: Soul and marcusuk63
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
I just hug my blanket and pretend it's someone, I'm actually that pathetic now. But sometimes it calms me down.
The body-pillow is just to preserve my hip and shoulder joints...:aw:

Reactions: LifeIsACurse, marcusuk63 and dreamsofdestruction
C

Cheese_Elemental

Apr 28, 2019
Some I use:

Look up some chill music streams or ASMR
Read some light, happy fiction
Melatonin

But if it's one of those times when you're really depressed or anxiety ridden and it feels like your brain is eating itself, I really recommend DOING something:

Drawing, even if you can't draw. I grab some paper and try to have 3-4 drawings at once. Hit a wall with one, switch to the other. If you have trouble thinking of a topic, look up a drawing stream on twitch and draw what they're drawing.

Take part in a discussion or debate two on Reddit. Keep it civil, but try to exercise your brain and focus on something.

If you can, take a walk. My ultimate "Sleep ain't gonna happen" tactic. Not always safe or viable, but try it if you can.

Reactions: marcusuk63 and not_a_robot

1964dodge

Student
Sep 19, 2018
im smoking and hopping to get cancer soon
not the best idea. I smoked for 5o years, I started at 11 and quit last year. it got me severe copd and i'm still alive so it's not the quickest way lol

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9 and Soul
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
I lie in bed listening to my partner snoring and wonder if I should kill her or not. That sets me away fantasising about how to do the dastardly deed and hey presto, I am soon fast asleep and she lives to snore another night. Beats counting sheep anyway :wink:

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Jolene40, LifeIsACurse, not_a_robot and 4 others
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I watch my cats sleep. They're such a good example.

• Hugs
Reactions: binturong, not_a_robot, marcusuk63 and 1 other person
peacefully31425

peacefully31425

Dirtbag
Aug 28, 2018
I listen to old radio plays or audiobooks.

Reactions: not_a_robot, 1964dodge and marcusuk63
T

TuesdayTragedy

Jul 8, 2019
Meditation use to help me a lot. It didn't at first and felt like a annoyance but slowly but surely it began to help more and more. Sadly it just doesn't do the job anymore. It still helps but I'd probably be gone already without it. But it's near time for me to go.

Reactions: 1964dodge, puppy9 and marcusuk63
bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
kratom, women, podcasts, etc

Reactions: not_a_robot and marcusuk63

1964dodge

Student
Sep 19, 2018
I have a stupid coping mechanism. when things get too bad I keep reminding myself I have the option of ctb later if I need to. I would have last night but I made a promise to stay safe for two days, which I regret

• Hugs
Reactions: Soul
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
I also do that. To be honest for the moment it helps but after it I just feel worse.

• Hugs
Reactions: not_a_robot
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
I also do that. To be honest for the moment it helps but after it I just feel worse.
You can talk to Husband Pillow.
Husband Pillow understands.
Brentwood Originals Husband Pillow

Reactions: 1964dodge and marcusuk63
Pilum Muralis

Pilum Muralis

“We'll never be as young as we are tonight.”
Jul 2, 2019
Same problem as you. Combination of melatonin, eating celery which makes me sleepy, and also using a sleeping mask to sleep helps 100000000 percent. Also, music helps so much to get my mind off things. Its like an escape for me. So music definitely helps. If your looking for a way to effectively sleep, a sleep mask and listening to nature sounds such as sounds of rain drops or like a rain storm, its actually extremely soothening and peaceful and feels amazing. Idk, might just be me but theres a ton of playlists out there for there and it helps me and dozens of others as well. Hope this helps.

May I ask what brand melatonin you use? I've been using that NyQuil Zzzz stuff, and it's a hit and miss for me. I don't even know if it's even working. Maybe it's I'm just so exhausted I finally get more than 4 hour sleep. It seems like it's been weeks since I've gotten a full 8 hours.

Reactions: 1964dodge
P

Painted Bird

...///...
Jul 15, 2019
Some people use ASMR videos on youtube to fall asleep.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
May I ask what brand melatonin you use? I've been using that NyQuil Zzzz stuff, and it's a hit and miss for me. I don't even know if it's even working. Maybe it's I'm just so exhausted I finally get more than 4 hour sleep. It seems like it's been weeks since I've gotten a full 8 hours.
Definitely, sure. I bought it off amazon. Natural bounty i believe. It has a minty taste to it. Easy to dissolve as its small. One doesnt do the trick for me, sometimes i really do like 2 or 3, and it knocks me out. I also use a sleep mask that i highly recommend, using a combination of a sleeping mask and melatonin helped me alot. problem with me was stress and anxiousness, constant overthinking during the night. Id be thinking of literally anything, and stress about the smallest of things.

And celery before going to bed. celery makes you drowsy and helps. Celery is full of anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting compounds. It can alleviate irritability, depression, and anxiety, reduce high blood pressure and cholesterol. This has also helped me alot.

A combination of a celery stick, sleeping mask and melatonin made a big difference for me, hope this helps. Screenshot 20190715 165852 Amazon Shopping

• Love
Reactions: 1964dodge and Pilum Muralis
Pilum Muralis

Pilum Muralis

“We'll never be as young as we are tonight.”
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

• Hugs
Reactions: pole