wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I actually got an interesting targeted ad on FB today. It's for an artist named Shawn Coss, who did a collection of drawings called "Inktober Illness," which was inspired by mental illness diagnoses. The figures in the drawings are appropriately grotesque and tortured-looking. If you want to wear your (or somebody else's) mental illness around in a way that everyone can immediately see for once, you can get Coss' designs printed on a shirt. I thought it was cool that the Inktober Illness collection had not only mental illness' "greatest hits," like Major Depressive Disorder and Schizophrenia, but there are also some more unusual disorders in there, like Alexithymia (misspelled "Alexythmia," but whatever), and Tricotillomania. Some disorders have two designs, usually with one featuring a male figure and one with a female figure.

The URL for the Inktober Illness collection is: https://www.amnclothing.com/collections/inktober-illness-collection. The rest of the site has designs in a similar style if you want to see more of Coss' work. The items are fairly expensive, but I don't have a problem with that. The artist is U.S.-based, so he's probably paying out of pocket for his own health care. (I won't try to explain the whole U.S. health care system. Just trust me when I say that a self-employed artist is probably paying through the nose.) Coss also accepts payment plans through something called Sezzle. I know nothing about Sezzle. Try it at your own risk. Anyway, all the money appears to go directly to the artist, instead of most of it going to some sadistic billionaire who penalizes his workers for spending too long on the toilet while at work (not talking about Jeff Bezos here in any way. Oh wait, I am). Supporting independent artists is a good thing, IMO.

Below is Coss' design for Major Depressive Disorder, which is my main diagnosis. I think this figure's skin is melting off? I'm not sure, but it looks appropriately painful. My only complaint is that the name of the disorder is not actually on the shirt. That means people will ask about what it's about, and I'll feel pressured to explain. I could always write the words on there with fabric paint, I guess. I actually like some of the other Inktober Illness designs better, but I thought some of them might be triggering to some people, and I don't know how to do spoiler tags. My favorite is the one for Non-Suicidal Self-Injury Disorder, but it features a figure with self-inflicted injuries, surprisingly enough.

The t-shirts go from a size adult S to a 3X, while the hoodies go from S to 5X. If those sizes don't work for you, or if you just don't want a shirt, there's a book you can get with the whole collection in it. There don't appear to be any hats or other things with the Inktober Illness images on them, although there are some with other designs.

Just for what it's worth, I've never met Shawn Coss in my life and get nothing for plugging his work. I just like his art, and want to support people who work for themselves as opposed to supporting one of the approximately 3 plutocrats who own half the planet.

Attachments

• unisex-basic-softstyle-t-shirt-black-front MDD.jpg
    unisex-basic-softstyle-t-shirt-black-front MDD.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Love
Reactions: FuneralCry and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
"Anti social personality disorder hoodie", this shit is the most 2021 you can get.

Reactions: signifying nothing