T

taiberjames

Jun 9, 2023
Just left another counseling meeting, feeling desperate then ever. My deppression just getting worse and all I can think of is cbt.

Which makes me feel like I'm just wasting my parents money.
Since the therapist talking to me about fighting the depression, to get activ, while i barley listening and feel I already gave up..

It's such a dissonance since while I'm still here I wish I could feel better, but all I can think about is how I want to escape already.

Just wandering with you guys if you think it's even possible to recover when you just want to die

catowice

catowice

I'm not from katowice!
Jun 17, 2022
I went to therapy a few weeks ago but stopped. Talk therapy is kind of literally just talk (and homework).

Therapy didn't make me feel better at all (in fact I felt better quitting it). It did taught me how much help there actually is if I seek for it.

I think my next move would be visiting a mental hospital or something like that for some diagnosis. Although I'm still finding the courage for that.

It still feels hopeless yes, the bus is still there waiting, sounding its horn any time of the day. As much as I want to get on, I still want to try out things I haven't experienced yet, including a psych ward if anything. There's no turning back, so it's hard to rest with regrets in mind.

You should be able to change therapists or change approach or even pause/stop therapy altogether no?

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
May I ask you do you have an idea what causes your depression? What could be the triggers of it? What did the doc/therapist do to find the reason? The source of it? By just telling you "do this / do that / go out" nothing is gonna happen unfortunately because the actual reason is not treated and eliminiated in the best case.

In my opinion therapy can only have a positiv effect and success if it targets the cause of the depression / mental problems and for that, those have to be known otherwise what do you want to change so your overall mental health becomes better?

The same applies to your thoughts about CTB, do you have an idea what triggers them?

I hope you can find a way to recover!

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Since the therapist talking to me about fighting the depression, to get activ, while i barley listening and feel I already gave up..

It's such a dissonance since while I'm still here I wish I could feel better, but all I can think about is how I want to escape already.
Do you know what kind of therapist this is? Some approaches focus on teaching coping skills instead of trying to address root causes. This can work for some problems, for some people, sometimes, but it sounds like it's not your case. If you've been at this for some time, I'd recommend telling your therapist that their method is not working for you, and asking them to refer you to someone with a different approach.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
personally I have had constant suicidal thoughts for around ten years and mental health and depression for over twenty years. In this case in my experience it is psychiatric medication which is needed. My suicidal thoughts have only reduced or disappeared on a working medication. It takes time and trial and error to hopefully find a medication/combo that helps you. No amount of 'getting active' is a help or even possible when you are at a certain level pf depression. They say exercise helps 'moderate' depression for example but for more severe you need meds to help you.

Therapists are not experts on mental illness, have their own beliefs about it and probably haven't even researched it. Cos they would have just studied their particular religion ie therapy system. Whether their religion is psychoanalysis, humanistic etc it does not mean they know about treating mental illness. That is the domain of psychiatry. No therapist ever referred me during years of suffering to a psychiatrist. But that is what I needed. Cos they are busy thinking they can help or busy making money. Either/or you actually need medication.

If you really want to 'get active' then you are better off paying a personal trainer who gets you out of bed then a therapist.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori