• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
As I continue to wait in an apparently eternal limbo for a community psychiatry referral to clear, I've been bouncing about reading shit that will help me navigate the appointment when/if it ever happens. Well, after coming across an interesting tidbit in an article about long-term negative life consequences tending to mess with dopamine pathways (thus marginalizing the holy grail/first-line serotonin approach), I found the following on Wikipedia's antidepressant page of all places. Thankfully all the links are intact - always cite your sources, kids!

From the section on Pharmacology:

"A major 2022 systematic umbrella review by Joanna Moncrieff and colleagues showed that the serotonin theory of depression was not supported by the evidence from a wide variety of areas.[142] The authors concluded that there is no association between serotonin and depression and there is no support for depression being caused by low serotonin activity or concentrations.[142] Other literature had described the lack of support for the theory previously.[147][148][149] In many of the expert responses to the review, it was stated that the monoamine hypothesis had long already been abandoned by psychiatry.[150][151] This is in spite of about 90% of the general public in Western countries believing the theory to be true and many in the field of psychiatry continuing to promote the theory up to recent times.[151][149]
...​
The serotonin and monoamine hypotheses of depression have been heavily promoted by the pharmaceutical industry (e.g., in advertisements) and by the psychiatric profession at large despite the lack of evidence in support of them.[147][148][141][153][149][154] In the case of the pharmaceutical industry, this can be attributed to obvious financial incentives, with the theory creating bias against non-pharmacological treatments for depression.[154][147][148][141]
An alternative theory for antidepressant action proposed by certain academics such as Irving Kirsch is that they work largely or entirely via placebo mechanisms.[155][156][157] This is supported by meta-analyses of antidepressant randomized controlled trials, which consistently show that placebo groups in trials improve about 80 to 90% as much as antidepressant groups on average[155][158] and that antidepressants are only marginally more effective for depression than placebos.[159][160][161][162][163] The difference between antidepressants and placebo corresponds to an effect size (SMD) of about 0.3, which in turn equates to about a 2- to 3-point additional improvement on the 0–52-point (HRSD) and 0–60-point (MADRS) depression rating scales used in trials.[159][160][161][162][163] This small advantage of antidepressants over placebo is often statistically significant and is the basis for their regulatory approval, but is sufficiently modest that its clinical significance is doubtful.[164][165][160][163] Moreover, the small advantage of antidepressants over placebo may simply be a methodological artifact caused by unblinding due to the psychoactive effects and side effects of antidepressants, in turn resulting in enhanced placebo effects and apparent antidepressant efficacy.[155][163][156] Placebos are not purely psychological phenomenon, but have been found to modify the activity of several brain regions and to increase levels of dopamine and endogenous opioids in the reward pathways.[166][167][168] It has been argued by Kirsch that although antidepressants may be used efficaciously for depression as active placebos, they are limited by significant pharmacological side effects and risks, and therefore non-pharmacological therapies, such as psychotherapy and lifestyle changes, which can have similar efficacy to antidepressants but do not have their adverse effects, ought to be preferred as treatments in people with depression.[169]
The placebo response, or the improvement in scores in the placebo group in clinical trials, is not only due to the placebo effect, but is also due to other phenomena such as spontaneous remission and regression to the mean.[155][170] Depression tends to have an episodic course, with people eventually recovering even with no medical intervention, and people tend to seek treatment, as well as enroll in clinical trials, when they are feeling their worst.[171][170] In meta-analyses of trials of depression therapies, Kirsch estimated based on improvement in untreated waiting-list controls that spontaneous remission and regression to the mean only account for about 25% of the improvement in depression scores with antidepressant therapy.[155][172][173][174][171] However, another academic, Michael P. Hengartner, has argued and presented evidence that spontaneous remission and regression to the mean might actually account for most of the improvement in depression scores with antidepressants, and that the substantial placebo effect observed in clinical trials might largely be a methodological artifact.[170] This suggests that antidepressants may be associated with much less genuine treatment benefit, whether due to the placebo effect or to the antidepressant itself, than has been traditionally assumed.[170]"​

I plan to cite this information if I am ever told by someone that antidepressants, specifically SSRIs, would be good for me.

*Edited to remove a non-essential section and add underlines.*[/justify]

Last edited:
lachrymost

lachrymost

finger on the eject button
Oct 4, 2022
Other things to bring up: SSRIs can cause Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) and Tardive Dyskinesia. These can be permanent, seriously life-altering conditions, but doctors will virtually never warn you about them. I can only assume it's because of the rarity, but everyone deserves informed consent. Post-SSRI/SNRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD) is also worth investigating for anyone considering antidepressants, but there's not much research into it yet unfortunately.

Shadowlord900

Shadowlord900

Seeker of Darkness
Sep 29, 2022
I always knew they weren't worth their side effects, especially when I first tried one (forgot which antidepressent I tried) for 3 days and realised I wasn't feeling any happier, just more tired so I stopped taking them.

I'll keep the article you got in mind if in case any doctors ever try pushing me back onto antidepressents again.

Reactions: Rounded Apathy
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Aug 8, 2022
Other things to bring up: SSRIs can cause Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) and Tardive Dyskinesia. These can be permanent, seriously life-altering conditions, but doctors will virtually never warn you about them. I can only assume it's because of the rarity, but everyone deserves informed consent. Post-SSRI/SNRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD) is also worth investigating for anyone considering antidepressants, but there's not much research into it yet unfortunately.
You know it's bad when something comes up in several lists of "most harmful drugs", rubbing shoulders with the likes of heroin and fentanyl. The wiki does talk about a lot of that as well. It's a good page.

I always knew they weren't worth their side effects, especially when I first tried one (forgot which antidepressent I tried) for 3 days and realised I wasn't feeling any happier, just more tired so I stopped taking them.

I'll keep the article you got in mind if in case any doctors ever try pushing me back onto antidepressents again.
Tbh I'm unsure if three days would be long enough to see any positive effects, but the fact of the matter stands that these things should not be doled out like candy as they currently are. Everyone wants a silver bullet; easier to throw some pills at you than devise a comprehensive support approach that integrates several spheres of practice to help individuals make positive changes in their lives.

𖣴 nadia 𖣴

𖣴 nadia 𖣴

...member...
Dec 15, 2021

Tbf they wouldn't start working in 3 days, it would take at least 1 or 2 weeks. But having said that, I took them for much longer and they didn't help me, I just felt like a zombie and the side effect of feeling more fatigued wasn't worth it so I stopped.

As I continue to wait in an apparently eternal limbo for a community psychiatry referral to clear, I've been bouncing about reading shit that will help me navigate the appointment when/if it ever happens. Well, after coming across an interesting tidbit in an article about long-term negative life consequences tending to mess with dopamine pathways (thus marginalizing the holy grail/first-line serotonin approach), I found the following on Wikipedia's antidepressant page of all places. Thankfully all the links are intact - always cite your sources, kids!

From the section on Pharmacology:

"A major 2022 systematic umbrella review by Joanna Moncrieff and colleagues showed that the serotonin theory of depression was not supported by the evidence from a wide variety of areas.[142] The authors concluded that there is no association between serotonin and depression and there is no support for depression being caused by low serotonin activity or concentrations.[142] Other literature had described the lack of support for the theory previously.[147][148][149] In many of the expert responses to the review, it was stated that the monoamine hypothesis had long already been abandoned by psychiatry.[150][151] This is in spite of about 90% of the general public in Western countries believing the theory to be true and many in the field of psychiatry continuing to promote the theory up to recent times.[151][149]
...​
The serotonin and monoamine hypotheses of depression have been heavily promoted by the pharmaceutical industry (e.g., in advertisements) and by the psychiatric profession at large despite the lack of evidence in support of them.[147][148][141][153][149][154] In the case of the pharmaceutical industry, this can be attributed to obvious financial incentives, with the theory creating bias against non-pharmacological treatments for depression.[154][147][148][141]
An alternative theory for antidepressant action proposed by certain academics such as Irving Kirsch is that they work largely or entirely via placebo mechanisms.[155][156][157] This is supported by meta-analyses of antidepressant randomized controlled trials, which consistently show that placebo groups in trials improve about 80 to 90% as much as antidepressant groups on average[155][158] and that antidepressants are only marginally more effective for depression than placebos.[159][160][161][162][163] The difference between antidepressants and placebo corresponds to an effect size (SMD) of about 0.3, which in turn equates to about a 2- to 3-point additional improvement on the 0–52-point (HRSD) and 0–60-point (MADRS) depression rating scales used in trials.[159][160][161][162][163] This small advantage of antidepressants over placebo is often statistically significant and is the basis for their regulatory approval, but is sufficiently modest that its clinical significance is doubtful.[164][165][160][163] Moreover, the small advantage of antidepressants over placebo may simply be a methodological artifact caused by unblinding due to the psychoactive effects and side effects of antidepressants, in turn resulting in enhanced placebo effects and apparent antidepressant efficacy.[155][163][156] Placebos are not purely psychological phenomenon, but have been found to modify the activity of several brain regions and to increase levels of dopamine and endogenous opioids in the reward pathways.[166][167][168] It has been argued by Kirsch that although antidepressants may be used efficaciously for depression as active placebos, they are limited by significant pharmacological side effects and risks, and therefore non-pharmacological therapies, such as psychotherapy and lifestyle changes, which can have similar efficacy to antidepressants but do not have their adverse effects, ought to be preferred as treatments in people with depression.[169]
The placebo response, or the improvement in scores in the placebo group in clinical trials, is not only due to the placebo effect, but is also due to other phenomena such as spontaneous remission and regression to the mean.[155][170] Depression tends to have an episodic course, with people eventually recovering even with no medical intervention, and people tend to seek treatment, as well as enroll in clinical trials, when they are feeling their worst.[171][170] In meta-analyses of trials of depression therapies, Kirsch estimated based on improvement in untreated waiting-list controls that spontaneous remission and regression to the mean only account for about 25% of the improvement in depression scores with antidepressant therapy.[155][172][173][174][171] However, another academic, Michael P. Hengartner, has argued and presented evidence that spontaneous remission and regression to the mean might actually account for most of the improvement in depression scores with antidepressants, and that the substantial placebo effect observed in clinical trials might largely be a methodological artifact.[170] This suggests that antidepressants may be associated with much less genuine treatment benefit, whether due to the placebo effect or to the antidepressant itself, than has been traditionally assumed.[170]"​

I plan to cite this information if I am ever told by someone that antidepressants, specifically SSRIs, would be good for me.

*Edited to remove a non-essential section and add underlines.*[/justify]
Last year, they finally updated the NHS guidance (after 10 years) advising doctors to avoid prescribing them to people with mild depression, but the alternative suggestions were just meditation, mindfulness and talking therapies.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Rounded Apathy
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Aug 8, 2022
You might want to check out this thread:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/name-and-shame-that-medication.4682/
There I was ready to go to bed, then I see this and suddenly it's a half hour gone...dammit! 😆 some of the writing there was actually pretty funny, some quite heartbreaking...

Last year, they updated the NHS guidance (after 10 years) advising doctors to avoid prescribing to people with mild depression, but the alternative suggestions were just meditation, mindfulness and talking therapies...
The horrible amputated version of mindfulness meditation that's constantly being trotted out by medical institution and web "influencer" types alike is repugnant. It's not a cure-all even when done in the proper context of the (usually East Asian religious) traditions it's been isolated from, so you can be damn sure it'll be even less useful when they just give you some stupid printout and/or mobile app that's supposed to stand in for a teacher with an entire life's worth of lived experience and practice.

But as I wrote in an above reply, nobody wants to do the hard work of actually creating services which help establish support systems and lasting, meaningful life changes. Fucking corporatocratic modern society.

Last edited:
𖣴 nadia 𖣴

𖣴 nadia 𖣴

...member...
Dec 15, 2021
The horrible amputated version of mindfulness meditation that's constantly being trotted out by medical institution and web "influencer" types alike is repugnant. It's not a cure-all even when done in the proper context of the (usually East Asian religious) traditions it's been isolated from, so you can be damn sure it'll be even less useful when they just give you some stupid printout and/or mobile app that's supposed to stand in for a teacher with an entire life's worth of lived experience and practice.

But as I wrote in an above reply, nobody wants to do the hard work of actually creating and maintaining support systems and networks. Fucking corporatocratic modern society.
Yeah, tbh I'm unconvinced that meditation would help very much, even in cases of mild depression. Considering that depression has been called a global health crisis, it's strange that the popular view is still that the problem is all in the mind.

What with the lack of success and improvements in pharmacological treatment, I think it's a case of 'prevention is the best medicine.' There should be more acknowledgement that depression can often be situational, in which case better social services to protect children, improved living standards and health care, as well as better working conditions would most likely lead to an improvement in people with existing depression and could prevent a lot of new cases.

Last edited: