JustABug

JustABug

Sinking in my skin
Aug 18, 2023
I've had countless therapists over my life but I have always lied to them and told them I'm fine, just a little down. I have an appointment this Thursday and I plan to tell them the truth about how I feel. Tell them I've been seriously thinking about committing suicide and why It's going to work this time… I would like to see what would happen. I've exhausted every other option of trying to continue living, how about this medicated and constantly observed option?

What happened when you told a doctor about your suicidal thoughts? I'd love to hear about it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Y

Yaffle

Life’s a bitch
Nov 9, 2023
I think you could find yourself sectioned and committed to the psych ward.

Don't say anything unless that's what you really want for help.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and JustABug
JustABug

JustABug

Sinking in my skin
Aug 18, 2023

For me personally, I don't see that as a terrible option. It would be drastic but a huge environment switch to getting help.

However I've been doing my research about it and they're more likely to give me meds then send me off. We'll see!

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Yaffle
Kore

Kore

Lonely in a room full of people…
Nov 2, 2023

if I'm understanding correctly, I think that's entirely the point of what @JustABug is trying to do…

@JustABug have I got that right? You actually want to see what happens if you admit you're suicidal to a professional?
I guess you already know, but yes - it will very likely result in the authorities being alerted. I'm pretty sure (not 100% tho) it's in the agreement you sign with therapists/they verbally tell you this at the start, that if you admit you may/will cause harm to yourself or others, they are legally obliged to bring that to attention. If you admit you're not just thinking about it, but planning it, expect a knock on the door shortly from people in white coats

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and JustABug
Y

Yaffle

Life’s a bitch
Nov 9, 2023
For me personally, I don't see that as a terrible option. It would be drastic but a huge environment switch to getting help.

However I've been doing my research about it and they're more likely to give me meds then send me off. We'll see!
That's exactly why I asked if being committed would be the help you need.

I think you're almost answering the question here but do want help to recover? If yes then straight out ask for it, don't just wait for your therapist to offer.

• Informative
Reactions: Kore and Praestat_Mori
JustABug

JustABug

Sinking in my skin
Aug 18, 2023
if I'm understanding correctly, I think that's entirely the point of what @JustABug is trying to do…

@JustABug have I got that right? You actually want to see what happens if you admit you're suicidal to a professional?
I guess you already know, but yes - it will very likely result in the authorities being alerted. I'm pretty sure (not 100% tho) it's in the agreement you sign with therapists/they verbally tell you this at the start, that if you admit you may/will cause harm to yourself or others, they are legally obliged to bring that to attention. If you admit you're not just thinking about it, but planning it, expect a knock on the door shortly from people in white coats
Yes that's correct! It's my last option of attempting to turn my life around so I'm not bothered how it ends at all.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Kore
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023

That said, just reading your latest post, it's a good point - if you genuinely want to force yourself through a complete change of circumstances and scenery, then yeah I guess this could be a good route.

Though if help is what you ultimately want, I don't think this is the best way - don't pretend you won't know what they'll do. Admit you're suicidal, and that you're absolutely desperate for help, and they will do anything in their power to help you. Don't 'beat around the bush'

• Love
Reactions: JustABug and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Depending on where you live you might end up in a psych ward as inpatient. Obviously you'd like to get rid of your suicidal thoughts, which is fine! What do u expect telling it to your doc/therapist? Do you have an idea why you are suicidal and what triggers the urge to attempt? Is there sth known to you? Unless you cannot change such a trigger meds and therapy may not be effective.

Imo it depends what you expect from telling it your therapist and whether you think they can help or not. I hope you can find a way to deal with it and I wish you all the best.

• Love
Reactions: JustABug and Kore
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
Ps - love your pfp, I was so hooked on that series!

• Yay!
Reactions: JustABug
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
I've had countless therapists over my life but I have always lied to them and told them I'm fine, just a little down. I have an appointment this Thursday and I plan to tell them the truth about how I feel. Tell them I've been seriously thinking about committing suicide and why It's going to work this time… I would like to see what would happen. I've exhausted every other option of trying to continue living, how about this medicated and constantly observed option?

What happened when you told a doctor about your suicidal thoughts? I'd love to hear about it.
I'm very open about these things with my therapist and psych. They did offer hospitalization but didn't forced anything. In my case I let it clear that it would be worse for me, and they seem to understand.
They seem to be trying different options to see what works for me, changing medications, therapy approach, changing my environment, etc.
My therapist tries to talk me off the idea, he insists that I'm being too rational (i don't see the problem). He seems to respect me, and just try to convince me using my own ideas.
I may be lucky as they both respect me a lot, and I don't feel endangered to have any surprised as involuntary hospitalization or police showing up.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: JustABug, Praestat_Mori and Kore
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
I'm very open about these things with my therapist and psych. They did offer hospitalization but didn't forced anything. In my case I let it clear that it would be worse for me, and they seem to understand.
They seem to be trying different options to see what works for me, changing medications, therapy approach, changing my environment, etc.
My therapist tries to talk me off the idea, he insists that I'm being too rational (i don't see the problem). He seems to respect me, and just try to convince me using my own ideas.
I may be lucky as they both respect me a lot, and I don't feel endangered to have any surprised as involuntary hospitalization or police showing up.
That's interesting! I guess my question is, when you say you're honest with them, do you just tell them that you're feeling suicidal? Or that you're actually planning something?
I would imagine that admitting an actual plan would leave them no choice but to alert someone

• Love
Reactions: JustABug, Praestat_Mori and todeswunsch
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
That's interesting! I guess my question is, when you say you're honest with them, do you just tell them that you're feeling suicidal? Or that you're actually planning something?
I would imagine that admitting an actual plan would leave them no choice but to alert someone
I tell them that I have a plan. The last time I even said that "I have the plan, the resources, the time, just need the energy to break inertia". The only thing that I don't disclose is the method itself. They did alert someone, but it is my sister which I previously gave permission. She didn't do much but I think this soothes their responsibility

• Love
Reactions: JustABug, Praestat_Mori and Kore
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
I tell them that I have a plan. The last time I even said that "I have the plan, the resources, the time, just need the energy to break inertia". The only thing that I don't disclose is the method itself. They did alert someone, but it is my sister which I previously gave permission. She didn't do much but I think this soothes their responsibility
that really is helpful to hear, thanks for sharing. I'm still on a waiting list for therapy, but have already had countless conversations in my head, trying to work out how I get around admitting my true feelings and all of them lead to the fear of white coats showing up at my place. I guess my problem is I have nobody in my family that's aware, or that I want to be aware, so I don't have that fallback of alerting a 'safe' person.

But it's defo gave me something to think about. Ty

• Love
Reactions: JustABug and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
@todeswunsch I assume it highly depends on where you live (country) how strict therapists/docs have to deal with such info and how high they see a risk you actually attempting.

But anyway I think it's great that you can be open with your therapist.

• Love
Reactions: JustABug and Kore
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
that really is helpful to hear, thanks for sharing. I'm still on a waiting list for therapy, but have already had countless conversations in my head, trying to work out how I get around admitting my true feelings and all of them lead to the fear of white coats showing up at my place. I guess my problem is I have nobody in my family that's aware, or that I want to be aware, so I don't have that fallback of alerting a 'safe' person.

But it's defo gave me something to think about. Ty
I wish you the best luck! Maybe you should build a connection and trust before fully opening yourself. For me it was more than a year with them that I got courage to be completely open.
Don't know how things work where you live, but good luck!
@todeswunsch I assume it highly depends on where you live (country) how strict therapists/docs have to deal with such info and how high they see a risk you actually attempting.

But anyway I think it's great that you can be open with your therapist.
Yes! Totally, I'm not sure how things are in other places. I'm in Brazil, and also these are private therapist and psych (sadly expensive). I'd say that I'm lucky because they seem are too comprehensive comparing to the majority here.
They even offered me psychodelic therapy as a last resource option - and that's illegal here in Brazil. So I think I'm lucky indeed.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Kore, Praestat_Mori and JustABug
JustABug

JustABug

Sinking in my skin
Aug 18, 2023
That's amazing! I'm glad that's the case for you. I'll have to pop in here and tell you guys what happens when I do.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and todeswunsch
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
That's amazing! I'm glad that's the case for you. I'll have to pop in here and tell you guys what happens when I do.
Good luck! I hope things go well to you!

• Love
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
Absolutely, please do! It will be incredibly useful information for me, personally, but I'm also equally interested to hear how it goes for you!

• Love