• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
Does anyone out there rent their home and have a long-term contract? I'm fine ditching all my other financial obligations--like my cable bill (they gouge me mercilessly anyhow) and my mobile bill (I pay for it a year in advance anyway and the service is spotty). But I know my landlord and feel terrible bailing on her. Even if I cleaned out the apartment (I don't have a lot of stuff), I couldn't afford to leave her a year's worth of rent to compensate for my departure. I wouldn't do anything here b/c I don't want her or her staff to have to clean up after me. Can anyone else relate? I don't want to stick around another year 'til the end of my current contract...

Reactions: dano6533
F

FakeNews

Student
Apr 30, 2018
Is she any worse than if you had been in a fatal car accident?

I think it's admirable that you are thinking of her - but as a landlord, I wouldn't hold any grudge as long as you were current with rent and I had the security deposit to cover a month.

Don't stress about it. As a landlord, they have risks.

Last edited:
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
Is she any worse than if you had been in a fatal car accident?

I think it's admirable that you are thinking of her - but as a landlord, I would hold any grudge as long as you were current with rent and I had the security deposit to cover a month.

Don't stress about it. As a landlord, they have risks.

I like your point about the security deposit. It's larger than the rent and I'll leave a clean apartment. Thanks.

Sonnenblume

Sonnenblume

Sunflower Panda
Apr 6, 2018
I rent, the people here suck except for maintenance guys who are very nice. I switched from one apartment to another and can't even get my old damn deposit back, I've been waiting months. So fuck them. But if I liked the landlord I'd make sure everything was clean, remove all my stuff from the apartment, and mail a check to the landlord for as much as I could, or write in the will or whatever. People die, landlords have to expect and accept that risk.

El Topo

El Topo

(---)
Apr 21, 2018
Does anyone out there rent their home and have a long-term contract? I'm fine ditching all my other financial obligations--like my cable bill (they gouge me mercilessly anyhow) and my mobile bill (I pay for it a year in advance anyway and the service is spotty). But I know my landlord and feel terrible bailing on her. Even if I cleaned out the apartment (I don't have a lot of stuff), I couldn't afford to leave her a year's worth of rent to compensate for my departure. I wouldn't do anything here b/c I don't want her or her staff to have to clean up after me. Can anyone else relate? I don't want to stick around another year 'til the end of my current contract...

As soon as you're dead, the contract is null and void, which means she's immediately going to try to find a new tenant. It's not like she's going to build a shrine in your apartment and cry everyday because you're gone...

FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
I rent, the people here suck except for maintenance guys who are very nice. I switched from one apartment to another and can't even get my old damn deposit back, I've been waiting months. So fuck them. But if I liked the landlord I'd make sure everything was clean, remove all my stuff from the apartment, and mail a check to the landlord for as much as I could, or write in the will or whatever. People die, landlords have to expect and accept that risk.

Good suggestion & point. Yes, tenants die. That's a business risk landlords take. I will take you up on your advice together with FakeNews' (security deposit) and mail an additional month's rent.