• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

The Fate of Political Discussions on SS

• Stricter enforcement of established rules

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Contain political discussions to a subforum in offtopic

Votes: 77 45.6%
  • Contain political discussions to a mega thread in offtopic

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • Ban all political discussion on the forum, regardless of the context

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
yeah, after it's destroyed friendships with people you used to like.
thanks but no thanks
keep politics out of my suicide
and while you're at it, keep your rosaries off of my ovaries (if I had any, i'm a guy)
nobody's making you participate tho, and tbh rose-coloured glasses aside if someone falls out with someone else for a difference of opinion then their friendship wouldnta survived jack

Edit: this wasnt intended to sound rude soz if it does

Last edited:
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
That's a strawman. Anyway, the poll is closed now
No, its just that you don't get it, which is kind of the whole point I was trying to make. You're not apolitical, you just live in a bubble that is compatible with your own politics.
Bollocks - this is a suicide forum, I don't need telling you think I should X Y or Z because you think you're A B or C. Because politics. And is BLM political - YES. Go to a BLM forum and have your victimhood stroked. Don't expect me to do it for you.
Victimhood? This is a really shit attitude mate. No-one is expecting you to participate in discussions about racism, transphobia, or what have you. By saying "ban politics" though you're effectively telling marginalised people that they can't talk about the issues that they face because you might be offended. Its utterly absurd, and I shouldn't have to tell you how bigoted it is.

Why don't you take some of your own medicine - just grow up and deal with it.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying SS should become a politics forum. Its important that this is a safe space for people to talk about suicide and related issues and that should come first. I'd like to think that we'd offer solace and comfort to suicidal people regardless of their politics.

My point is that "no politics" is a hammer that can easily be misused against certain people, to shut them up or derail the conversations that they would want to have.

Last edited:
R

rata1

Arcanist
May 8, 2019
i think everything is in its own way political. we have so much subforums, why ban politics? doesnt sound logical for me.

this is one of the places where i feel more free than in most other places in rl as in virtual life. why cut this freedom ? if someone oesnt like a topic, well he/she shouldnt read it. as i do with topics i am not interested in. we just should't put "politics" in its classic sense on the top of importance. we still are a pro-choice /suicide forum not a political platform. what people talk about in subforums...? their own choice

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
No, its just that you don't get it, which is kind of the whole point I was trying to make. You're not apolitical, you just live in a bubble that is compatible with your own politics.

I've never said I was apolitical, and I don't live in a fucking bubble. You're really rude btw.

That's a straw man indeed because talking about personal experiences of racism,
transphobia, poverty isn't political in my opinion.

But I'm a fucking retard living in my own bubble, so whatever.
See, this is that rudeness which led to my vote. People aren't often respectful.

It's not a problem for me but for other suicidal people it can be.
Of course people can stay away from it but they aren't always 100% rational, as human beings.

Politics is sensitive and some suicidal marginalised people or militants, whatever their political opinions may be,
may well be hurt or worse after a heated debate about something which matters for them. They may even ctb.

So banning politics isn't a "fuck you" towards these people. It's rather the opposite.

Last edited:
it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020
Politics is totally unnecessary when it comes to ctb (and thus this site). When you're suicidal, you aren't concerned about petty political BS. As a black woman, I'm not worrying about stuff like BLM here. I am thinking about ending my own life.

LooksAtMoonDog

LooksAtMoonDog

Too Long in the Wasteland
Nov 10, 2020
Personally, I come here partly to avoid the political BS found on places like FB and reddit. If I see someone talking politics I'll avoid the discussion. That said, since this is for some people the only online community they feel comfortable in, I think there should be some space for political threads in Offtopic, and such discussions should be clearly identified. Any politics outside of Offtopic should be off-limits, and any political trolls should be banned.

DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
You dude have no arguments and that's why you accused me of racism which was an ad personam. Using ad personam automatically proves you wrong. That's my opinion.

I'm glad with the results of the survey. My option won ^^

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Politics is for the living. Or else those who are really plugged into the world. So it doesn't strike me as something we are overly concerned with, on the whole. I think politics can easily be contained within one (mega)thread. There certainly isn't enough to work with to justify an entire subforum, I'd imagine.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

🚫Safety is a figment of the imagination🚫
Jul 1, 2020
All I'm going to say about one of your options is that you just said

Censorship never leads to anything good.

No.
So maybe this option

Ban all political discussion on the forum, regardless of the context​

Isn't the best one?

ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
While political discussions tend to upset me these days and make me feel worse about myself and humans (even though it used to be my thing), people shouldn't have to stop these discussions just because I'm now sensitive to it. I have the option to not read it. I think banning it altogether is not a good idea. Banning any discussion is never a good idea. Not to mention, politics in particular are very relevant to mental/physical health, hardships and suicide in general so it doesn't make sense to censor it. I think we should have an area where people can talk about these things. Megathread or subforum should work. I'm sure on my better days, I would even pop in on occasion.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
While political discussions tend to upset me these days and make me feel worse about myself and humans (even though it used to be my thing), people shouldn't have to stop these discussions just because I'm now sensitive to it. I have the option to not read it. I think banning it altogether is not a good idea. Banning any discussion is never a good idea. Not to mention, politics in particular are very relevant to mental/physical health, hardships and suicide in general so it doesn't make sense to censor it. I think we should have an area where people can talk about these things. Megathread or subforum should work. I'm sure on my better days, I would even pop in on occasion.

thanx for this comment!
i was close to post pretty much the same like you. especially the part that politics is relevant to mental health and also that it is never a good idea to ban discussions.

R

rata1

Arcanist
May 8, 2019
to ban politics is impossible! everything is political, even if it doesn't please one. for example: if you are pro choice or not is political, just look at the laws. how do you want to talk about things without becoming political? so by the cause itself it is impossible to not be or talk politically.

it is even a philosophical question, and i think a very important one. if you ban "politics" from a forum or a list of permitted things, you create a precedent that allows afterwards to ban everything that is defined by anyone as "political". that opens a door to arbitrariness and therefore to despotism. for example: one person complains about the fact that n is not allowed to be bought in his country, another persons answers that he should not moan around and that he/she should understand how important is life and that he/she should understand why laws in her/his country are as they are and so on.....
this is or could be seen as political (actually it is!) so it would be banned or, even worse, could be required to be banned by someone or even anyone ,by any individual (even pro-choice people for example, just an example)!
by banning "political" things historic enlightenment would be banned, just as freedom of speech and, not the less, sense of reality. where begins the difference between something "political" and something "nonpolitical", where does it end?
sure they are not easy these political discussions, but is one important part of freedom! it is the essence of our freedom! banning politics would mean to ban discussion and therefore freedom of speach. if someon says something that i dont like i just have to define it as political, and then he/she is out, i even don't need an arguement.

M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
I'm torn, to be honest. The mission statement of this site is to give people information without inciting them to CTB. That's anything but political. And yet... the "first mover" for me wanting to CTB was my state's Democrat politicians! Hence my name. It's the Democrats who locked everything down, killed my social life, and indirectly destroyed my friendships with my former liberal friends. Hence, politics are directly responsible for me joining this site. Conversely, joining a radical right-wing group that was willing to socialize and welcomed me with open arms, was what caused me to have a change of heart about CTB'ing, at least at that time. So discussing politics is not entirely out of the question.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
You can't stop the Revolution. You can try to suppress it, but it will find its way into the Bastille of SS one way or another.

french-revolution-3.png

Reactions: Mendex
Mendex

Mendex

The Sleep of reason produces monsters
Jan 9, 2021
You can't stop the Revolution. You can try to suppress it, but it will find its way into the Bastille of SS one way or another.

french-revolution-3.png
Not to fast,the savage primitive revolution only will stop with more revolution.
BN-TT770_bkrvun_GR_20170607173842.jpg

Last edited:
R

rata1

Arcanist
May 8, 2019
it will or it will not. but it definitely will not be televised!

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
i think everything is in its own way political. we have so much subforums, why ban politics? doesnt sound logical for me.

this is one of the places where i feel more free than in most other places in rl as in virtual life. why cut this freedom ? if someone oesnt like a topic, well he/she shouldnt read it. as i do with topics i am not interested in. we just should't put "politics" in its classic sense on the top of importance. we still are a pro-choice /suicide forum not a political platform. what people talk about in subforums...? their own choice
Exactly. It is impossible to have a non-political conversation, anywhere, ever. The right to suicide is obviously political. As are all the life events that push us to suicide.

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Anyway, if moderators are considering restricting this more, are they also looking at more proactively responding to people being pushed out of the community by sexual harassment? I see the thread about that is now closed, what's that about?

C

Cleopatra123

Arcanist
Jun 8, 2019
I find the politics involved as completely hypocritical. So, is this the same political activity that is so apparent in saving the lives of sick people, living on the streets, the failure of that community to do something about automatic weapons on the the streets, killing children, people who have no reasons to wish to be dead; the same political wing that forces suffering, desperately sick and dying people into nursing homes to make money to keep them alive in that condition, to made money off them. The same political wings that have caused deepening degradation of the middle class into poverty where families have lost the ability to engender decency and love to their children because of the necessities for parents, often single, to work so much the positive values and positivity of children have turned to depression and little opportunity for a meaningful lifestyle. Where are the folks looking after the mentally ill, thrown into the streets in days if hospitalized, hungry and distressed beyond limitation. I am a mature adult, have worked all my life, and I in particular reserve the right, as all in my situation, to end my suffering from a lack of adequate medical care. Our country, oh, so great, is now 17th irated in quality of health care. And, this is all the establishment can come up with to solve all these inequalities. I DON'T BLAME THIS SITE, THEY ARE DOING WHAT IS INSISTED OF THEM. if the adult society wishes to do something about the increasing hopelessness of youth, they would sure do more than this. THANK YOU FOR TRYING, IT'S NOT THE FAULT OF THE SITE.

Lys_C15H25N3O_d3

Lys_C15H25N3O_d3

Student
Sep 19, 2023
Well, i don't really think people have anything positive or "promoting" about politics anywhere, lol. But truth be told. the context where you live, society etc. those play major roles in someone's upbringing as well as their peers , eventually resulting in a higher % per country of "people who'd rather use public transportation a.k.a buses than than those wanting to ride bycicles for example hehe. lets also not forget the person who initiated this discussion who sparked the fire some 30 maybe 40 years ago had the following background:

"Early life and education
Kevorkian was born in Pontiac, Michigan, on May 26, 1928,[1][5] to Armenian immigrants from the Ottoman Empire (present-day Turkey). His father, Levon (1891–1960), was born in the village of Passen, near Erzurum, and his mother, Satenig (1900–1968), was born in the village of Govdun, near Sivas.[6][7] His father left Ottoman Armenia and made his way to Pontiac in 1912, where he found work at an automobile foundry. Satenig fled the Armenian genocide of 1915, finding refuge with relatives in Paris and eventually reuniting with her brother in Pontiac. Levon and Satenig met through the Armenian community in their city, where they married and began their family. The couple had a daughter, Margaret, in 1926, followed by son Murad, and their third and last child, Flora.[8]

When Kevorkian was a child, his parents took him to an Orthodox church weekly.[9] He started questioning the existence of a God, as he believed an all-knowing God would have prevented the Armenian Genocide on his extended family. He stopped attending church by the time he was 12"

This is the wikipedia's english entry. sure there are many other languages in which are available, each one with a particular point of view maybe? as for everything.

How can we say that geo-politics, religion, psychology, politics, (american ones, swiss ones, canadian have changed their instance on the matter ) dont play a role at everything? its intertwined, problem is having a "cold" discussion about it (as opposed to "heated arguments" that instead are pointless

There's a difference in approaching the "political question" from an anthropological point of view rather than an shallow ordinary ranting at symptoms and not the "whole diagnostic as it happened evolved and worsened in history's course" but i guess that's something not really taken into consideration right?

just thought it would be insteresting to keep a record of any relevant events since every year the rate of "people going on holydays with 1 ticket" is increasing year by year. but i get its pointless trying to have the mind wander somewhere else by the time being. and specially with such subjects

*i know i'm ressurecting a thread. i also know i won't be able to "ressurect" myself to give my opinion about it regardless of how irrelevant it might be, Thanks for letting me do it