• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

The Fate of Political Discussions on SS

• Stricter enforcement of established rules

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Contain political discussions to a subforum in offtopic

Votes: 77 45.6%
  • Contain political discussions to a mega thread in offtopic

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • Ban all political discussion on the forum, regardless of the context

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sanctioned Suicide

Sanctioned Suicide

-
Mar 17, 2018
There has been an increase of political talk, especially in the Off-Topic sections. Many of these threads end up closed and people warned due to them turning into flaming wars. After seeing it escalate to this point, I wanted to give the community a choice on how we should handle this.

My opinion is that politics ultimately divides people, now more than ever. There are people of many different political ideologies here, and sometimes clashes happen. We don't want this forum to become a stomping ground for any political or religious ideology. We already have rules against proselytising, but I wanted to give this community a very important hand in this decision. Here are the options below:

1. Stricter Enforcement of established rules (what we already do now)current rules, punishing those that step outside of our est
  2. Contain political discussions to a subforum in offtopic, banning discussions outside of the subforum.
  3. Contain political discussions to a mega thread in offtopic, banning discussions outside of the thread.
  4. Ban all political discussion on the forum, regardless of the context
You will not be able to see who voted for what or change your vote, and this poll will close in 5 days.

The option that has the most votes will be the option that we go with.

Last edited by a moderator:
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I personally am not sensitive when it comes to political discussions despite me having my own (strong) opinions. I actually like the dialogue as long as everyone is keeping it at a constructive level.
And even if not I can see past it.

But I can also see that others might take whatever is said to heart and feel personally attacked.
So I would definitely either use an extra forum (where the danger of getting into heated arguments remains though) or focus on enforcing stricter rules in those discussions so that nobody resorts to attacking others instead of stating opinions.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
The influx is likely due to the recent chaos, but I can see how it might upset some people. Politics can effect people's daily thoughts or emotional wellbeing, so banning the topic entirely may be stressful for some. I like the ideas of restricting it to a mega thread since that allows people to express their opinion and discuss/debate, keeps the topic away from those that have strong feelings about it from stumbling upon it, but also prevents offtopic from getting flooded with redundant threads.

Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I don't think anything needs changing.
The state of the world is a contributing factor to many people's desire to CTB, and politics is a huge part of that. I see nothing wrong with letting people vent about it. If a poster crosses a line, they'll be reported, just like in any other instance, and you mods can do what you do. But I don't see any need for extra policing.
And this is from a guy who disagrees with 99% of the political opinions expressed on this website. If political discussion hurts or offends someone, that's on them. I think political dialogue is important right now.

Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
I like the idea of having a subforum, a single mega thread where you are limited to respond to the most recent person, in order to partake within the discussion or forced to go through pages to see things would be tedious. On the other hand, we will have our own glorified pol, that's pretty exciting.

T

Tired_Tired

Student
Nov 25, 2019
I don't think anything needs changing.
The state of the world is a contributing factor to many people's desire to CTB, and politics is a huge part of that. I see nothing wrong with letting people vent about it. If a poster crosses a line, they'll be reported, just like in any other instance, and you mods can do what you do. But I don't see any need for extra policing.
And this is from a guy who disagrees with 99% of the political opinions expressed on this website. If political discussion hurts or offends someone, that's on them. I think political dialogue is important right now.
I only care my life.,Human beings are evil and selfish.".

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

šŸš«Safety is a figment of the imaginationšŸš«
Jul 1, 2020
I personally feel that we SHOULDN'T have it completely banned. In some cases, expecially if it is local to the person (I assume), they may have something they need to vent about that's actually bothering them.

However as someone that isn't as into politics as others it would be nice to see it all contained in one place. As for what is best, a subforum or mega thread. I see pros and cons for both so it's hard for me to say.

shadowchaser

shadowchaser

ā˜¾
Aug 1, 2019
I voted for subforum, but on second thought I'm doubting if that's the best way forward. Mainly, a specific subforum for politics seems like it's inviting or encouraging more discussions specifically of that nature than may usually arise.

I do think that while the off-topic forum is an extremely valuable part of SS, separating/dividing it into one subforum will lead naturally to many more (who's to say what area of discussion merits its own subforum, etc). There's also the concern of members signing up specifically for the subforum -- problematic, but certainly debatable to some degree.

I can see the whole thing leading to quite a few significant changes to the feel and membership here, which, for one, takes a lot of work that I don't know if mods or admin can/want/should have to do, and two, alters the familiar atmosphere of the only safe place available to many members here, potentially placing them in more discomfort or distress than they need.

Just like there are surges of other topics here from time to time, I believe the popularity of the discussion will somewhat return to normal, eventually. Maybe it might be useful at the moment to raise some reminders/rules, such as no off-topic posting in the suicide discussion forum, or perhaps a prompt for members to remain courteous and mindful when discussing politics? A mega-thread seems quite a reasonable solution to me, too, but does have a likelihood of becoming chaotic/disorganized.

By the way @Marquis, you've been doing so much for the site recently, thank you!

BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
I voted for subforum, but on second thought I'm doubting if that's the best way forward. Mainly, a specific subforum for politics seems like it's inviting or encouraging more discussions specifically of that nature than may usually arise.

I do think that while the off-topic forum is an extremely valuable part of SS, separating/dividing it into one subforum will lead naturally to many more (who's to say what area of discussion merits its own subforum, etc). There's also the concern of members signing up specifically for the subforum -- problematic, but certainly debatable to some degree.

I can see the whole thing leading to quite a few significant changes to the feel and membership here, which, for one, takes a lot of work that I don't know if mods or admin can/want/should have to do, and two, alters the familiar atmosphere of the only safe place available to many members here, potentially placing them in more discomfort or distress than they need.

Just like there are surges of other topics here from time to time, I believe the popularity of the discussion will somewhat return to normal, eventually. Maybe it might be useful at the moment to raise some reminders/rules, such as no off-topic posting in the suicide discussion forum, or perhaps a prompt for members to remain courteous and mindful when discussing politics? A mega-thread seems quite a reasonable solution to me, too, but does have a likelihood of becoming chaotic/disorganized.

By the way @Marquis, you've been doing so much for the site recently, thank you!
Ooh, those are some good points. I also voted subforum but have kind of been regretting it. Shouldn't have voted right when the poll opened...

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I voted subforum but in any case it's only a matter of time before I end up saying something that makes everyone hate me or gets me banned or both. Maybe I even already have said stuff that upset some people. I'm really sorry but I can control how I feel about things no more than anyone else can control how they might negatively feel about me.

I hope that overall things will remain civil at least no matter what happens.

RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Give me a list of political threads that didn't escalate to some extend. They're rare. So I voted for stricter enforcement for established rules, simply because it would make our work easier.
An alternative for me would be a seperate subforum with the conditions to discuss political topics peacefully and respectfully and with regards to the rules.
Banning it entirely would be a last resort option for me but it would make moderation of this forum much more comfortable and relax the atmosphere in the forum in general... political differences caused a lot of division in the community in the past. And I'm not gonna lie - heated political arguments cause by far the most work for staff.

Let's keep in mind, this isn't a political forum and the question we should ask ourselves: is this the right place to express political opinions? This is a very vulnerable enviroment and not the right place to express possibly harmful and discriminatory views in my opinion. This isn't just a regular forum after all.

Last edited:
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
The freedom to speak so freely about a topic such as suicide is what makes this site so rare and a lifeline for people like us. Censoring something like politics would change a lot.

It is an off-topic issue. A seperate subforum would make it a place to either frequent or stay away from.

/my2cents

F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
I really try my best to avoid political discussions at this point. Everyone is so assured in their opinions (myself included) that there are rarely any meaningful discussions unless with someone who is prone to agree with you already, regardless of view. I've also noticed some can take very ahistorical positions or some just descend into petty name calling or worse and I find these interactions equally pointless.

I don't think banning any speech is the right approach (aside from the hateful, abusive or threatening) nor do I think any meaningful political discussions are possible on this site or the internet for that matter. I didn't vote for anything, whatever is the least work for mods because I will continue to try my best to just avoid these discussions going forward, even tho I still fail at this occasionally. But maybe I'm just too cynical at this point so this is probably more a me problem. I guess just go with what the majority thinks is best and we can go from there.

Livingvsdying25

Livingvsdying25

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2019
I think a subforum is a good idea.
I don't think its fair to say that politics have nothing to do with a suicide forum.

I think its kinda ignorant and speaks from a place of privilege. (Which isnt a bad thing just something to reflect on.

Im not that into poltics myself personally but various aspects of who I am in society (politically) contribute to.shitty parts of my life and my want to CTB. Those things won't just go away or change.

Also, I think it'll be easier to control trolls and inflammatory discussion if its all in one subforum.

COVID-19 has been extremely political. The whole world was having poltical ossues in 2020 and it continues into 2021 soo.

Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
Agreed

Why? What's the link with the former sentence?
There's a vulnerability needed to be as open as we are when we talk about killing ourselves. We can't do that anywhere else in life or online and suicidality unites us in a very special way.

Politics naturally divides people. If you and I, for instance, can comfort each other in posts about suicide but then one of us reads our political commentary in another post and it goes against our beliefs on that stage, are we going to remain on the same terms as before? Would my political bent cloud everything else I might say outside of politics?

With the way the entire world is shaped now by some pretty atypical politics, I personally don't think it's the time to test these waters.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I voted for "contain political discussions to a mega thread in offtopic" as I believe that offtopic is for other topics as well and that having a mega thread means that all the discussions are contained there. I could see the problem in having a subforum like @CoalmineCanary said. Then again, with the stricter enforcement even in the mega thread, it would keep things under control, much like what @RainAndSadness said.

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
There's a vulnerability needed to be as open as we are when we talk about killing ourselves. We can't do that anywhere else in life or online and suicidality unites us in a very special way.

Politics naturally divides people. If you and I, for instance, can comfort each other in posts about suicide but then one of us reads our political commentary in another post and it goes against our beliefs on that stage, are we going to remain on the same terms as before? Would my political bent cloud everything else I might say outside of politics?

With the way the entire world is shaped now by some pretty atypical politics, I personally don't think it's the time to test these waters.
So what's wrong with banning entirely political discussions then?

charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
Banning political discussion entirely would be silly. On a forum about fishing or weightlifting, certainly, but on a forum about suicide... Especially now that everything and everyone is being censored left and right, SS feels like one of the few websites where you can talk about taboo topics.

Maybe contain it to a suifuel subforum though :heh: