• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Do you think we should keep our Twitter Account?

• Yes

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanctioned Suicide

Sanctioned Suicide

-
Mar 17, 2018
I started using our Twitter account on November the 19th and since then there have been tons of tweets from people on here helping to debunk those who spread lies. I really do appreciate all of you for coming on and correcting the record with us.

I do want to take a poll on whether we should continue because of 2 main reasons:
  • Some believe that we should debate the points on social media and try to counter the constant lies that are spread around us.
  • Some believe that we shouldn't debate on social media and that doing so is a detriment to the community, and serves no purpose.
I want to take this poll today to see where the community stands on this issue because I can understand both sides.

On one hand, I do believe that it is good to have some kind of presence outside of this site where we can talk about these things, but on the other hand, I can see the reasoning for the people that believe it is a detriment to the forum and that it doesn't serve much of a purpose.

The poll will be a private one, and it will last 3 days.

I would like to know your thoughts on this.

MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
As a former outsider, I feel like having a twitter account can really benefit this site as a whole. Especially with the false accusations.

But as a new member, i'm extremely scared that SS would get a shut down the more publicity it'll get. You know how Twitter justice goes.

I feel like whatever you guys will do, it'll be a disadvantage for SS. I'm quite confused.

_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
I reposted what I said on another thread because it's relevant.

I only say no because of this.

----------------------------

After arguing with them on twitter for awhile, I have come to the conclusion that they don't want to help us. They are so fixated and tunnel-visioning the 'bad' they see in this website, that they can't come here and see ANY of the possible benefits we do find here. On that note, I fear we will never be able to find a middle ground with them. Not that I'm surprised, and there probably wouldn't have been a chance at this in the first place. I never believed they would go from prolife to prochoice in a heartbeat. But still, I had hope, that maybe, just maybe, I could've found some common ground. Then who knows? Maybe we could actually have done what Jeremy(BPG) suggested and worked with them to at least some what improving the problems that lie with healthcare, insurance, and social-stigma with society. But I have lost that hope. None of them are willing to focus on the main problems, and it's saddening.

Now all I feel is empty. I feel even worse after talking on twitter than before. I was insulted, attacked, and belittled on my mental capacity tonight and yesterday. And all for what? Because I am a member of SS? It wasn't a good idea to try and talk with them. Not good at all. I nearly CTB'd tonight impulsively, but wasn't given enough alone time. I still want to as well. Been crying all night long. It's really, really sad. I fucking regret trying to talk to any of those people!

I fucking even wouldn't doubt they may screenshot this. I'm so fucking upset right now.

-------------------------------

As much as I did and still do believe we have the right to speak up against them, I realized it's impossible to talk with them.
It's only made me want to CTB more, and quite frankly, isn't good for my already struggling mental health.

They'll just block the rest of us after talking down to us after getting examples of tweets they can repost. so it doesn't matter what we do or say.
I know all of this cause the Fixthe26 account blocked my first because 'we are spreading lies'.

Last edited:
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
You may as well keep it until it gets banned.
Fundamentally, the issue is whether one should let a bully and liar continue their bullying and lying unchallenged, or whether it is better to confront and dispute their falsities and attacks.

One thing that fixthe26 don't want is a philosophical and honest discussion of the morality and jurisprudential implications of their stance, since they seem to have a blind conviction that they are already in the right, and that even dishonesty and smearing is justified by their end goal. Their reasoning is ostensibly utilitarian, yet if their utilitarian method were successful (getting SS shut down) it would paradoxically have an anti-utilitarian outcome (i.e. it wouldn't result in the 'greatest happiness of the greatest number'). But they don't want to discuss such niceties or technicalities, theirs is in fact a will to power mentality, in which 'the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must', to quote Thucydides.

All that being said, I don't think having a Twitter account makes that much of a difference in the broader scheme of things.

M

M

I reposted what I said on another thread because it's relevant.

I only say no because of this.

----------------------------

After arguing with them on twitter for awhile, I have come to the conclusion that they don't want to help us. They are so fixated and tunnel-visioning the 'bad' they see in this website, that they can't come here and see ANY of the possible benefits we do find here. On that note, I fear we will never be able to find a middle ground with them. Not that I'm surprised, and there probably wouldn't have been a chance at this in the first place. I never believed they would go from prolife to prochoice in a heartbeat. But still, I had hope, that maybe, just maybe, I could've found some common ground. Then who knows? Maybe we could actually have done what Jeremy(BPG) suggested and worked with them to at least some what improving the problems that lie with healthcare, insurance, and social-stigma with society. But I have lost that hope. None of them are willing to focus on the main problems, and it's saddening.

Now all I feel is empty. I feel even worse after talking on twitter than before. I was insulted, attacked, and belittled on my mental capacity tonight and yesterday. And all for what? Because I am a member of SS? It wasn't a good idea to try and talk with them. Not good at all. I nearly CTB'd tonight impulsively, but wasn't given enough alone time. I still want to as well. Been crying all night long. It's really, really sad. I fucking regret trying to talk to any of those people!

I fucking even wouldn't doubt they may screenshot this. I'm so fucking upset right now.

-------------------------------

As much as I did and still do believe we have the right to speak up against them, I realized it's impossible to talk with them.
It's only made me want to CTB more, and quite frankly, isn't good for my already struggling mental health.

They'll just block the rest of us after talking down to us after getting examples of tweets they can repost. so it doesn't matter what we do or say.

They're not willing to listen to us either way. I only went into this to give us a voice outside of this community, not to spar with Fixthe26 all day, something that I have mostly been avoiding for the past day or so because they are not interested in the truth or our community; they just want us disappeared off the internet by any means necessary.

Something that I am interested in is expanding beyond this forum and advocating for the right to die, and not sparring with people that are already set in their thoughts about us.

Not only is it bad for mental health. It has led you to be in a worse place than before, and that's something that I don't want at all. That's why I made this poll.

_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
They're not willing to listen to us either way. I only went into this to give us a voice outside of this community, not to spar with Fixthe26 all day, something that I have mostly been avoiding for the past day or so because they are not interested in the truth or our community; they just want us disappeared off the internet by any means necessary.

Something that I am interested in is expanding beyond this forum and advocating for the right to die, and not sparring with people that are already set in their thoughts about us.

Not only is it bad for mental health. It has led you to be in a worse place than before, and that's something that I don't want at all. That's why I made this poll.

That's what I'm fearing. They won't listen, and that's what makes it dangerous. We can't advocate without firmly protecting our believes, which is what causes spars to begin with. The more people this ends up attracting (specifically on their side) the more who will feel inclined on attacking. I had about 5 people attacking me on one account ALONE today. Compared to the 3 I think yesterday. I don't think I could put up with that long term, personally.

But maybe it's just me. I thought I could do it, but clearly not.
Only stronger willed people will be able to handle being on that blasted site trying to advocate pro-choice...

They do not care what they say to us 'vulnerable people', because of their tunnel visioning. It's a literal witch hunt just to get to you and mods.

Last edited:
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020

I think that would be a good idea if you separated it from SS, where SS was maybe under the same umbrella of the self-determined right to die, but not involved in the politics. SS is inherently a political target, but it is not a political organization or forum.

Eurus

Eurus

Everything Must Cease.
Sep 30, 2019
I like the idea of other places for discussion,I was a user of the discord,unfortunately I don't really use anything else so Twitter for me is a no go,I hope this idea of being able to be open in others places becomes a "thing"

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think the twitter can still be useful at least to give updates on the site like maybe whenever there are server outages or new features. Maybe if arguing proves to continue to be such a dead-end, the account can focus more on simply spreading the positives of the ideas behind the site made by other twitter accounts (which the account does already do a little bit).

_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
I think the twitter can still be useful at least to give updates on the site like maybe whenever there are server outages or new features. Maybe if arguing proves to continue to be such a dead-end, the account can focus more on simply spreading the positives of the ideas behind the site made by other twitter accounts (which the account does already do a little bit).

I think this would be the best case usage for it. Talking has not proven beneficial, at least for the regular members. Cause ultimately, they don't really care how the majority of us feel. SS bad, members evil? Or vulnerable sick people? They really can't decide on either of those two.

Quite frankly, talking to them has become quite self-destructive for me personally. Maybe others will have better luck i don't know.

Last edited:
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
I personally would keep the account because we have nothing to hide. When it comes to discussing stuff with fixthe, it won't work because they don't even act like adults that want to discuss, they have blocked me and several other members. Yesterday a supporter of fixthe said what we are doing is "murder" and I asked them nicely to show me the definition of murder because they were obviously saying complete nonsense. The only reply that I got was "sanctioned suicide is the defintion of murder". This cleary shows that we can't have discussions with them. I don't think closing the twitter account is bad either because I don't think it serves a good purpose, I think we'll only get negative attention on there because that's how twitter works.

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
I personally would keep the account because we have nothing to hide. When it comes to discussing stuff with fixthe, it won't work because they don't even act like adults that want to discuss, they have blocked me and several other members. Yesterday a supporter of fixthe said what we are doing is "murder" and I asked them nicely to show me the definition of murder because they were obviously saying complete nonsense. The only reply that I got was "sanctioned suicide is the defintion of murder". This cleary shows that we can't have discussions with them. I don't think closing the twitter account is bad either because I don't think it serves a good purpose, I think we'll only get negative attention on there because that's how twitter works.
Yeah, this is what Jackie wrote: I do have sympathy for her as I've seen interviews with her where she looks broken, kind of like Callie's mom. Kelli, on the other hand comes off as a massive c-word, cold, calculated and on a mission. Who names their kid Junior ffs? Sure way to keep someone perpetually infantilized.

sarahR

sarahR

Experienced
Nov 11, 2020
With all respect. I would delete it. It's not worth it, they just going to insult you and that's what they want. To get us all upset. They already posting non stop and tagging our Twitter account. Just don't give them that satisfaction. Just my humble opinion.

nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
I've made other posts about my opinion on this, but since it's being asked again:

They obviously don't care about any of us as individuals and would rather throw their (limited) weight around bullying a group that amounts to just one of many reasons why their loved one might not be here anymore, instead of actually participating in suicide prevention. (i.e.: volunteering for a hotline, helping facilitate local support groups, offering their time to the many homeless / disadvantaged mentally ill folk out there)

The more I see of these people, the more it seems like they're on a personal crusade to feel important and "honor" their losses. The Fixthe26 twitter reads almost like the guy is LARPing sometimes. I doubt their ability to be taken seriously as anything other than a poorly-organized group of grieving parents fighting against the legalities of free speech.

I honestly feel bad for them because they're doing nothing to honor their losses and are obviously very hurt and afraid. Maybe once they get over 500 followers or manage to get in correspondence with a politician above local level, we should start taking them seriously and dignifying them with responses, but as of now they should barely be a blip. When it's just them tweeting to a little echo chamber, it's "old man yells at cloud" tier and I don't think we need to escalate it any further yet.

I do think a twitter would be useful for reporting on downtimes or maintenance since we get that sometimes, but engaging with the "outside world" seems mostly fruitless and to be honest, kind of a bad look. This is a suicide forum that offers concrete information on how to commit suicide. Of course not everyone is going to like it. Of course people are going to try and get it removed.

Last edited:
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I know you did it with the best intentions, but personally I would take it down. I wouldn't give them that satisfaction. They barely had any action on their account, since our twitter account came, it's tweets after tweets non stop with screen shots of things from here. Let's focus on our site here instead. You're a busy person, you doing a great job here, don't think you should deal with slander from them.

_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
Doubt it. There is no chance in hell they have enough power, money and resources to take down Cloudflare or section 230.
I suppose that's why they're trying to fear monger other parents into it. "BUT DA CHEEELLDREENN" is painted all over their twitter and website. Don't get me wrong, I worry for the kids. But the blatant lying and fear mongering BS is a really pathetic way to get more following.

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I find it to be very stressful (sometimes overlwhelmingly so) to debate with people who do not heed to the voice of logic and reason, who twist the facts so they would fit their narrative. I understand that it's only expected to see the political language being used in a political environment, but I'm just not a big fan of manipulation, of applying scare and smear tactics, of selective attention, making loud accusations without sufficient evidence to back it up, and such. I understand that manipulation is a tool. What also matters is how it's used, the intentions behind using such a tool, and effects of using it. Still I feel very reluctant to even touch it... It feels dirty and wrong to me, and I judge other people for using it, but I have no qualms against using my physical prowess to defend myself and my interests in a physical combat, for example...

I don't know. I guess I could go with rationalization, and say that if they are playing unfairly with me (see political language and manipulation above), then I'm justified in playing unfairly with them. I still don't know whether it would be better for me to play unfairly or not to play at all.

DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
My opinion is:
You don't necessarily have to delete your account but you shouldn't become an influencer with a million of followers. Because being an influencer comes with responsibilities that can turn out to be problematic later on. For example people might start to ask questions and force you to answer. So you don't have to delete but you should stay rather quiet. Of course my opinion is heavily biased just saying. And I don't want to criticize you.

RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
I disagree with the majority of people that participated in that poll. Having a Twitter account isn't necessary a bad thing if we believe that our position and values are legitimate. I'm confident we have the moral high ground. The issue is, we can't ever control the narrative or fight back on bad faith accusations if we're always defensive. No idea ever established itself by being merely passive - look at any civil rights movement in the history of mankind. I also think that people who voted 'No' in the poll subconsciously accept the narrative that we're evil and bad and harmful and that we need to hide in the darkness. I refuse this narrative.

Being suicidal is okay and the legal and moral right to take your life and end your own suffering is very important if we want to pretend to live in a compassionate and empathic society. What empathic person is gonna prolong the unbearable suffering of a person that sincerely want to die? It's sad and I wish it wouldn't happen but I can speak from my own experience that reality isn't pink and bubbly. It's a cruel planet and I can't blame anyone that simply wants to leave for whatever reason. It's honestly not even my business to judge their reasons. Giving people the power to make this consenting and informed decision for themselves - and that includes giving them information - is crucial.

But I guess it's such an outrageous thing nowadays to simply say "My body, my life, my decision". And that decision might include ending all of it - that's part of being an autonomous human being. I have the legal and moral autonomy to decide over my own life, period. If saying those words is controversial, too controversial for a twitter account, we'd rather end the right to die movement right now.

Sorry but with such an attitude, we will always have to hide in the dark. Let's just resign then.

Here is my initial reaction to us having a Twitter:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/we-have-a-twitter.54215/page-2#post-990756
And I linked an interview of Philip Nietzsche on the right to die in that post. That's how you confront this very existential human right issue. You don't play defense. He says clear and loud that suicide is a decision about the autonomy and integrity of people and something that we need to respect.

Last edited:
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
I disagree with the majority of people that participated in that poll. Having a Twitter account isn't necessary a bad thing if we believe that our position and values are legitimate. I'm confident we have the moral high ground. The issue is, we can't ever control the narrative or fight back on bad faith accusations if we're always defensive. No idea ever established itself by being merely passive - look at any civil rights movement in the history of mankind. I also think that people who voted 'No' in the poll subconsciously accept the narrative that we're evil and bad and harmful and that we need to hide in the darkness. I refuse this narrative.

Being suicidal is okay and the legal and moral right to take your life and end your own suffering is very important if we want to pretend to live in a compassionate and empathic society. What empathic person is gonna prolong the unbearable suffering of a person that sincerely want to die? It's sad and I wish it wouldn't happen but I can speak from my own experience that reality isn't pink and bubbly. It's a cruel planet and I can't blame anyone that simply wants to leave for whatever reason. It's honestly not even my business to judge their reasons. Giving people the power to make this consenting and informed decision for themselves and giving them information is crucial.

But I guess it's such an outrageous thing nowadays to simply say "My body, my life, my decision". And that decision might include ending all of it - that's part of being an autonomous human being. I have the legal and moral autonomy to decide over my own life, period. If saying those words is controversial, too controversial for a twitter account, we'd rather end the right to die movement right now.

Sorry but with such an attitude, we'll always have to hide in the dark. Let's just resign then.

Here is my initial reaction to us having a Twitter:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/we-have-a-twitter.54215/page-2#post-990756

And I linked an interview of Philip Nietzsche on the right to die in that post. That's how you confront this very existential human right issue. You don't play defense. He says clear and loud that this is a decision about the autonomy and integrity of people and something that we need to respect.

I was in a very dark moment when I pressed no, to be fair. I was treated with hate, belittling and harassment trying to talk to them. I nearly impulsively tried to CTB because of it. @mahakali88 kindly was able to calm me down a bit. I'm more on the neutral fence at this point. I just don't think it's a good idea for the more susceptible to being bullied to be on there as of this moment, myself as an example. If I could change my vote to 'other' I would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.