• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
Don't know if anyone else feels like this.

Like sometimes I'm stuck as if trying to communicate in a foreign language, but am having a conversation in my only fluent/native language, English.

I currently have a summer job in the tourism industry and had a bit of a realisation while overhearing a french couple discussing/translating (in French) the information I had given them (in English). I could understand what they were discussing between them (I also had the benefit of context of what I had said to them). I could nod and agree and imagine in English what else I might add or discuss. But I do not have the vocab or confidence in French to actually continue or add to the conversation, just look weird like a nodding dog, understanding and agreeing but not saying anything else. Don't even have confidence in the ability to confirm I agree or not - or even explain 'I don't know the answer to that question in english let alone in french' - just stuck with sort of 'clear' thoughts in my mind, just no way to 'say' them out loud. But that's how I feel when having 'deeper' conversations in English. Kinda embarrassing/inappropriate when totally in my only fluent/native language.

This isn't all the time, but whenever there is any topic of conversation that's not familiar with me/autopilot answers - e.g freezing when asked something more 'personal' or increasingly in therapy sessions if I have a bit of an odd reaction/almost go into a trance also frozen.

Maybe its why I have historically done a lot of (solo) travelling - no pressure to have 'meaningful' conversations - can be successful keeping things 'simple' and 'practical' with basic foreign phrases and body language and not really getting to know anyone properly.