free.maia

free.maia

Oct 10, 2023
im at the point in my HS career where i need to start applying to schools and finishing up letters of rec etc. however, i plan to ctb before my freshman year starts up and am seriously considering not applying anywhere at all - especially with application fees etc. i just worry that if for whatever reason my method fails, im going to not have any plan or money to get myself off the ground until i save up to buy more materials for another attempt. has college in general made your life better or worse? i also dont want my family to accumulate any student debt after i die :/ even though it wouldnt be my problem anymore id still feel bad leaving that behind for them to deal with.
thanks all xx

H

hardtruth

Oct 9, 2023
Sadly we have been programmed since young to think that college/further studies are important for us to be able to meet societal expectations of career, success, stability and a bright future.

• Love
Reactions: free.maia
A

AshH

It iz what it iz
Sep 16, 2023
It depends on which majors you choose, those with the best ROI generally turn around Healthcare, Finance and IT.

• Love
kelimackie

kelimackie

bleh
Sep 22, 2023
I don't see the point of college, I've been and quitted two majors,

pointless assignments
classmates that are more annoying than high school
monthly payment is expensive

all that to be unemployed for years just to end up working retail or Uber (if you're lucky to have a car)

Reactions: Deleted member 65988 and free.maia
SpiritualDeath

SpiritualDeath

I return to the raiding shadows of death.
Sep 9, 2023
I'm only in uni because I know work would make me more miserable...especially if I have to work in a field that I have absolutely zero interests in, or have to deal with people/situation that I don't want to deal with (and am terrible at dealing with).

My interests are so restricted and I just find it difficult to do what people do other than studying (I always find myself so reluctant if I try to force myself to do those things and they're certainly giving me nothing but pain), so I ended up studying through my teenage years, with no experience in other activities/things at all. Even now I'm still sitting here doing nothing other than uni work and a few useless interests I have, and I find that I'm really having nothing else to put on my resume if I need one to apply for jobs...I'm still not sure what to do about this, since if I don't ctb eventually I'll have to get a job.

Uni is fine (great escape from having to work). Work is horrible to think about.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
im at the point in my HS career where i need to start applying to schools and finishing up letters of rec etc. however, i plan to ctb before my freshman year starts up and am seriously considering not applying anywhere at all - especially with application fees etc. i just worry that if for whatever reason my method fails, im going to not have any plan or money to get myself off the ground until i save up to buy more materials for another attempt. has college in general made your life better or worse? i also dont want my family to accumulate any student debt after i die :/ even though it wouldnt be my problem anymore id still feel bad leaving that behind for them to deal with.
thanks all xx
Your student loan debt discharges when you die. So you don't need to worry about that. Worth it? Depends on your major and what you plan on doing with it. Is your family supportive? Are they willing to go along for the ride with you? If yes go for it. If not. Then it depends. It can be but it may not be. You get a certain amount of dice rolls for success in life. Certain things give you more rolls. College *can* give you more but it can also take some away.

free.maia

free.maia

Oct 10, 2023
Your student loan debt discharges when you die. So you don't need to worry about that. Worth it? Depends on your major and what you plan on doing with it. Is your family supportive? Are they willing to go along for the ride with you? If yes go for it. If not. Then it depends. It can be but it may not be. You get a certain amount of dice rolls for success in life. Certain things give you more rolls. College *can* give you more but it can also take some away.
okay thank you! my counselor was talking about how the debt can move onto family members after you die which is why i asked, but if what you said is true that minimizes my worries at least
I'm only in uni because I know work would make me more miserable...especially if I have to work in a field that I have absolutely zero interests in, or have to deal with people/situation that I don't want to deal with (and am terrible at dealing with).

My interests are so restricted and I just find it difficult to do what people do other than studying (I always find myself so reluctant if I try to force myself to do those things and they're certainly giving me nothing but pain), so I ended up studying through my teenage years, with no experience in other activities/things at all. Even now I'm still sitting here doing nothing other than uni work and a few useless interests I have, and I find that I'm really having nothing else to put on my resume if I need one to apply for jobs...I'm still not sure what to do about this, since if I don't ctb eventually I'll have to get a job.

Uni is fine (great escape from having to work). Work is horrible to think about.
i agree completely. i am very anti-work (or rather, anti-system if that makes sense). i had to quit my job recently because i was in the mental hospital for an extended period of time. but id much rather go to uni than have to work an office for the rest of my life :(

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
okay thank you! my counselor was talking about how the debt can move onto family members after you die which is why i asked, but if what you said is true that minimizes my worries at least
Private loans could but presumably you'll be taking out federal loans if you are America ... They sure as hell don't help those that aren't rich or famous so I wouldn't worry about it. Even sallie mae loans get discharged....Though they are known to be predatory...

Oct 2, 2023
right now I'm in community college and it's easier than hs in some ways, i honestly feel like in my unemployed state and being relatively talentless with a low work ethic it gives me kind of a purpose and the work isn't that bad depending on what you take
i felt super useless and empty with no purpose right before i applied to community college and while it makes me depressed to not be in a four year like my friends or to not have any future plans it's a relatively cheaper filler. i recommend taking classes in things you're interested in, even if you're not necessarily good at them (eg my art history class is low work but the lectures have cool pictures and make me feel a little smarter, my studio class is low level art but it's fun to pick up my paints again) maybe work towards a degree or transfer, even if you don't have plans to because it sets a goal, and if you drop out before then, plenty of people do
i wish you the best, feel free to pm for anything :) i know ctb is always a solid way out but in the living world something could work out and i hope it does ❤️

Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Four-years are vastly overrated, especially in the states. Unless your degree will be in a high demand job field, I wouldn't go. There's no point in scurrying off to university arbitrarily, especially if you're suicidal.

I paid forty thousand for a degree I barely use personally, let alone professionally. I grossly overpaid for an experience, that was it. Just an experience. Once it was over, there was no one offering me a job, nor help in getting one in my field.

And if all you need is some quick cash to buy whatever means, just open a credit card. The debt will be unsecured, and won't be sought after death. However, if you choose to live, having debt hanging over your head always makes things harder.

Last edited:
platypusfan

platypusfan

Jun 29, 2023
It really depends on the person and what major you want to go into, but at the very least I would recommend applying just in case. I was going to ctb the summer before my freshman year, and now I am in college and thankful I still applied. I hate it but it also keeps me busy for now. Apply to at least two colleges, one you know you can get into and one you would love to get into. Then when the time comes, if you are still alive, you at least have that option. And if you realize it isn't for you, but you still aren't ready to ctb, there are other good options like trade school and community college, or you could always go straight into a job. But if, at anytime in your life before you were suicidal, you have had dreams and aspirations that require further schooling, then you might as well give it a chance.

• Love
free.maia

free.maia

Oct 10, 2023
right now I'm in community college and it's easier than hs in some ways, i honestly feel like in my unemployed state and being relatively talentless with a low work ethic it gives me kind of a purpose and the work isn't that bad depending on what you take
i felt super useless and empty with no purpose right before i applied to community college and while it makes me depressed to not be in a four year like my friends or to not have any future plans it's a relatively cheaper filler. i recommend taking classes in things you're interested in, even if you're not necessarily good at them (eg my art history class is low work but the lectures have cool pictures and make me feel a little smarter, my studio class is low level art but it's fun to pick up my paints again) maybe work towards a degree or transfer, even if you don't have plans to because it sets a goal, and if you drop out before then, plenty of people do
i wish you the best, feel free to pm for anything :) i know ctb is always a solid way out but in the living world something could work out and i hope it does ❤️
thank you ❤️❤️ my parents have always had a heavy emphasis on me taking higher level classes because i was "smart" in elementary school but i really lost all that in HS which makes me feel really lost and dumb a lot of times :/ definitely still looking into getting a degree or at least going to a community college just in case. wishing u the best as well
Four-years are vastly overrated, especially in the states. Unless your degree will be in a high demand job field, I wouldn't go. There's no point in scurrying off to university arbitrarily, especially if you're suicidal.

I paid forty thousand for a degree I barely use personally, let alone professionally. I grossly overpaid for an experience, that was it. Just an experience. Once it was over, there was no one offering me a job, nor help in getting one in my field.

And if all you need is some quick cash to buy whatever means, just open a credit card. The debt will be unsecured, and won't be sought after death. However, if you choose to live, having debt hanging over your head always makes things harder.
the credit card advice is really helpful thank you!
I don't see the point of college, I've been and quitted two majors,

pointless assignments
classmates that are more annoying than high school
monthly payment is expensive

all that to be unemployed for years just to end up working retail or Uber (if you're lucky to have a car)
the costs of college are crazy especially in the area i live in. uber doesnt sound like a bad idea once i get a car (i pretty much can commute anywhere so i dont have one atm)

D

Deleted member 65988

Wow $40k is insane for a degree you barely use.

Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Wow $40k is insane for a degree you barely use.
Yeah. I paid it off driving a semi.
Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette

figurehead

figurehead

Student
Sep 27, 2023
thanks all xx
Is it worth it? Yes and no. I knew I wanted to go into academics before my teens. It's been really had, having a relapse after another, giving up everything a thousand times. I'm 50 today, which I suppose is an achievement since I thought I wouldn't make it to 18. University forced me to stay alive and try, but it also killed me bit by bit. Like everything else it consumes you from inside and when you reach the it feels like THE end. After I completed my PhD (yes, I'm crazy enough for that) it felt like I'd lost the ground beneath my feet. There was nothing to look forward to. In the end I had to give up academia because it was literally killing me. So I dunno what to say, sorry.

• Hugs