Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
I decided to create a collection of testimonials from people who went through the hanging experience.
I'll try to include testimonials from those who lost consciousness, but if I find a testimonial particularly useful (even though they didn't lose consciousness) I'll include it. I'm generally trying to include testimonials about full suspension hanging, since it's more reliable.
I will include testimonials from Reddit, along with the sources of where I got them from.

1) [deleted]:
got drunk and used a scarf as padding wrapped a few times around my neck underneath before tying up the rope in my garden and kicking the stool away. i don't remember suffering, i don't remember pain. i've been desperately trying to remember. i do vaguely remember choking and being really uncomfortable, and i'm not sure if it's a real memory or not but i remember trying to scream for my family to help me, but i guess anyone would do that, it's a survival instinct. but nothing more than that. i woke up in the hospital

2) u/Suspicious-Jump2725:
My husband found me after estimated 10 minutes and had to restart my heart because I was gone by that point. I was in a coma for a week remained hospitalized a couple more weeks.
I had an out of body experience where I could see my body and my husband doing CPR. I remember the colors red and orange. I remember not breathing. I remember feeling intense pain.... That's all I remember. The rest of my memories come from what others told me.

3) [deleted]:
It was very quick, lost consciousness, woke up on the floor with broken cord on my nexk. I did not remember what I did. I notice blood in my nose and throat. Bit my tongue too. I have petechial rash on my face.

4) u/weakleatherbuckle:
I tried to hang myself with a belt two days ago. I blacked out and woke up on the floor. The leather around my belt buckle broke. I don't know how long I was unconscious, but I must have hit my head and hip very hard when I fell.
When I woke up I thought I was dead and in a cold, dark room. But then I realized I was just on the floor of my bathroom.

5) u/Girlinneedtx:
I once tried to hang myself in a hotel room and the same thing happened to me. I passed out for I don't know how long and then the belt broke and I came to confused initially and then surprised I was still alive.

6) [deleted]:
As a person who also hung themselves it's terrifying the pain you feel immediately once the weight is placed on your neck.

7) [deleted]:
I won't lie, I felt at peace. I was so close to being released from this flesh bag until it came undone. I laid their lifeless for a bit, thinking about the climax I almost felt from dying. Had that rope not broke I would've been happy passing on tbh.
It felt relieving. I was almost out but the moment I came down I couldn't do anything but bask in that indescribable feeling. It felt like I was being released from so much sadness, pain, existence.
I can't really explain it, but it felt like someone or something was pulling me out of my body. I hope I get to feel that again if I ever do try it for the second time (hopefully I succeed).
But it made me realize I definitely wanna go out by hanging. It may hurt during for like a minute or so, but afterwards you slowly start to fadeaway and it could all be over so quick you wouldn't even know it.
I don't know, all I know is when I hung myself there was just so much peace for the first time. Like it made me realize all of that pain can be gone so easily.
I'm not advocating that anyone should try this, but there was just something...so releasing about it. Like I almost felt true happiness for the first time ever in death.

8) u/rickandrolly:
I want to answer really honestly, but it actually hurt more in a mental sense than physical. Those few seconds of being away from the ground without air just blasted my brain with so much things that I didn't have time to think of how it physically feels. After the whole thing broke and gaining consciousness, I immediately realised how painful it was, like the pain immediately kicked in, just like a really bad grapefruit with that terrible after taste but just absolutely worse.

9) u/DragonSteelX:
I had the same I wasn't trying to kill myself but wanted to tempt myself. Stood off the chair and I almost passed out on the rope within like 10 seconds which I wasn't expecting. Reached for a tree the last second and felt like I got punched in the nose when I lay down. Was quite humbling

10) u/w0lfmn15:
I stood on that chair for what felt like forever. Some part of me was waiting for someone to come stop me, tell me how stupid I was and that my life was worth living. Nobody stopped me. Nobody cared. So I stepped off the chair, and felt the belt squeeze around my neck. I blacked out within a couple seconds. And what they say about "how everyone's final thoughts are that they wish they didn't do it" it's bullshit. My last thoughts were of relief. Anyway, I woke up on the floor feeling woozy, and I didn't even remember I had just tried to kill myself.

11) [deleted]:
Yea hanging is surprisingly comfortable... i like the blackout sensation ..

12) u/OtherwiseDelirious:
I'm late but in my experience its like a big hug on your neck. The lack of oxygen causes quite a nice experience. The hardest part is deciding whether to do it.

13) u/burrchild:
well in my experience, losing consciousness is really quick. i dont know how long it takes exactly, but it feels like only 10 seconds. but the pain depends on the material you're using. if you use somethin rough or scratchy or anything that gives an uncomfortable feeling, it'll hurt. but if you use padding or a softer belt or something with a large surface area but capable of slight compression (but ofc it still puts pressure on your neck), its pretty much painless.

14) u/PlatypusInnamorata:
Noose is hanging from the ceiling, and not that high up. I would have to sit/kneel after slipping it on. So I got a chair and climbed up to put it around my neck. When I tightened the noose, my ears popped. I think I then blacked out for a while (not sure how long). When I came to, I felt physical pain, but I couldn't identify what kind or where. I LITERALLY FORGOT what I was doing. There was a loud grating sound that I realized later was my own breathing. My table was a mess, as if I had flailed and knocked stuff off of it. My hair was tangled in the rope and around my neck. Still not sure why I was in pain, I realized my breathing was compromised, and I slipped out of the noose somehow. I also was aware that I was supposed to feel "sad" or "upset" and the thing that would tell me the answer was nearby, although I did now realize it was my "phone". I just began reaching for that something where I thought it might be. It took me a full 2 min or so to realize what had just happened.

15) u/proffesuonal:
At first, I feel like I'm falling asleep, like I'm about to pass out, but then suddenly right before I do I feel huge shivers throughout my entire body and a jolt of energy. I quickly get myself out of the noose, still feeling that jolt of energy.

16) u/RandomLazyAngel:
I had the belt set up on the door and i was standing on a chair i gave myself a countdown "3 2 1" and i put 1 foot off the chair letting myself do the rest of the work when i passed out and i don't remember anything but waking up on the floor confused with the belt around my neck i remember hearing the music i was playing on my earbud and it felt like my whole head was shaking or everything was shaking i cant really describe it but now everything hurts and i wish the belt didn't break
I think i was only passed out for like 1.5-2 minutes

17) [deleted]:
I had a situation where I tried to hang myself, but I thought a shower curtain rod could hold my weight. It didn't, I passed out before I fell. I woke up after I fell, at first I didn't know why I was in the bathroom and was hysterically crying.

18) u/RiverbankWolf777:
I hung the rope on my pullup bar and made a noose. I stood up on a chair, put the noose around my neck, and lowered my legs slowly till i felt the pressure on my neck increase. About 70% of the way through i guess, the pressure got too intense for me. It started crushing my oesophagus, and the pressure was insane. I started blacking out and i stood back up. It's so scary. I think i was there for like 3 seconds, trying to bear it. I tried it 2 more times after that, making it to almost 5 second in the 2nd attempt. This is still only 70% of my weight suspended.

19) u/powderedmonster:
I got my earbuds and played some music and tied a rope to a doorknob and threw it over a door then dangled over a chair for a few seconds (maybe 10-20) with my music playing. I got that unpleasant tingly feeling all over my body that probably anyone who has hanged themselves is all too familiar with. But what was interesting was that the music slowed down to like 1/2 the speed of the original song. It also sounded very disturbing, like someone was messing with the song in some way. I couldn't believe I was listening to one song the whole time because I swear after a few seconds of hanging myself the music slowed down significantly.

20) u/scrappywhore:
Ok so I stood on my bed with my head through I piece of rope I had somewhat tie wrapped around a beam not in a noose but kinda looped around a nail. Anyway that doesn't really matter. So I was standing there I started to let all my weight hang in my neck my feet didn't even leave my bed so I guess I wasn't technically hanging but whatever. I felt all the blood rush to my head my felt light like when you hang upside down to long and you start to feel light headed but more intense. This was probably the most painful part. After that I don't really know what happened it went really fast I guess I past out and I remember thinking about something Important or meaningful and I remember feeling a certain way but I can't figure out what that feeling was or remember what that thought was I've tried so hard to remember but I can't which really sucks. Whatever this thought was it somewhat woke me up my body suddenly felt a realisation of what was happening and stopped itself. I somewhat awakened and for a few seconds didn't know what was going on I tried to move and was restrained by the rope around my neck I reached up and unhooked it and immediately collapsed onto my bed.

Find more testimonials on https://www.sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/how-does-it-feel-to-hang-yourself.82954/

Sources:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SuicideWat...hanged_myself_while_listening_to_music_a_few/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SuicideWatch/comments/bh6np5/so_i_tried_to_hang_myself_today/

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Yoñlü×, null_blank, stolensoul and 8 others
Downdraft

Downdraft

Feb 6, 2024
Reddit is the worst place for anything mental health related. I already see a storm of people invalidating all their experiences, and downright ignoring they just attempted suicide, to preach how good is that they're alive regardless the circumstances. Even more with the social consequences of failing, and being marked forever. :(

• Aww..
Reactions: chronicdissosiation and esalucolom-wojaqter
Uninfluential_Karma

Uninfluential_Karma

Rat Cult Leader
Aug 5, 2024
Thank you for posting this, it jogged my memory of my recent hanging attempts! I was trying to hang myself with a broken window blinds chord, and it was strange. I tried positioning myself into a few partial hanging positions, the first one just on my knees, the second sitting on my legs, and the third sitting completely on the ground and peacefully looking out the window. I was really nervous before doing it and got increasingly more nervous while changing positions. Each time, I would shift from hearing a sudden strange gasping, I didn't realize it was me making that noise until later. 2/3 of the shifts were involuntary, my body would just quickly stand up so I could breathe. This chord was about the thickness of average yarn, so it was a bit uncomfortable but I don't remember any significant pain. I remember feeling time slow down as well. I would also get a bit tingly and feel light headed like I was about to pass out. None of the positions really lasted longer than like 15 seconds if I remember right. I eventually decided I wanted out and was able to eventually untie the knot after a few minutes.

I stood on the window seal and tried full suspension, and I don't remember basically anything besides feeling a shift and slowly being lowered down. The chord had somehow become undone on its own from where it was connected to on the blinds. I guess I didn't check the security enough.

I haven't gone to the doctor and don't plan to, because I feel mostly fine. It's been a full day, and I still feel a bit of pressure around my neck but the indent/mark of the chord faded after a good while of sleep. My memory has been really bad, but I don't know if the attempts were just traumatic and that's it. I can do everything normally, it's just a bit of pressure in my neck. Swallowing and breathing doesn't feel any different. I'm already considering attempting full suspension again, hopefully with something thicker or softer but we'll see. I think it's a decent way to go if you double check everything and are comfortable with potentially not being able to breathe while being conscious for a little bit. There could've been pain, but it was like a 3 at most on a 1-10 pain scale if there was, it's just struggling to breathe and the pressure that's more distressing.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: chronicdissosiation and Evelyn Lane
the_path_of_sorrows

the_path_of_sorrows

Different routes, same destination
Nov 26, 2023
Thank you so much for doing this! I've been constantly trying to look this up as I'm still slightly scared of what the reptilian part of the brain is capable of doing with a rope on my neck.

• Hugs
Reactions: Evelyn Lane
kinderbueno

kinderbueno

Waiting at the bus stop
Jun 22, 2024
Thanks for this post. It seems like quite a few of these failed attempts were from partial which doesn't surprise me

chronicdissosiation

chronicdissosiation

sell your sands of time and invest in the knife
Feb 17, 2024
15) u/proffesuonal:
At first, I feel like I'm falling asleep, like I'm about to pass out, but then suddenly right before I do I feel huge shivers throughout my entire body and a jolt of energy. I quickly get myself out of the noose, still feeling that jolt of energy.
this perfectly describes the way it happened to me. it was as if my world slowed down, like i was zoning out. i realized what was happening and it took everything in me to remove the noose around me despite the amount of relief i experienced. i was shaking and having small spasms afterwards

• Informative
Reactions: tenshi天神, Evelyn Lane and Uninfluential_Karma