• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
I was wondering, with the CO Method (using charcoal) I have an old trailer with a pretty small bedroom (basically as big as a 2-3 person tent, with the exception of the ceiling being about 6ft 5in to 7ft) but it has three windows and a ceiling vent that I'm going to assume with it being as old as it is, are probably not air tight as they once possibly were. Could I use that window plastic people buy for the windows in a house and use that to seal the windows and top air vent off. The door is very well sealed on all sides and the top with the exception of the bottom which can be solved pretty easily. It's just the windows and vent I'm worried about.
I was thinking about using 2 round BBQ's instead of one as I'll have the room for it, but don't think I can get more than 2 in there. Along with that RO pure lump charcoal.

B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
I would say you're right in that yes, a tight seal is important. Those plastics that you put on windows during the winter work fairly well from my experience. I've only ever used them to keep out the cold on drafty windows/ doors, and if you secure them properly they are pretty much airtight (at least as much as you need in your case). You could also use spray foam or caulk as an extra measure, but you probably don't need that. I don't see a problem with using two bbqs vs one, but I'm not an expert on this subject. Maybe someone else could answer that, but in my (unknowledgeable) opinion it seems perfectly fine. Also, make sure you've got your favorite bottle with you (if you're into that).
I'm really sorry for whatever led you to be in this situation. Life isn't always fair and it can be so painful and cruel. I hope you can find peace, whatever you decide to do. All the best, bb

Reactions: dialogos
T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
I would say you're right in that yes, a tight seal is important. Those plastics that you put on windows during the winter work fairly well from my experience. I've only ever used them to keep out the cold on drafty windows/ doors, and if you secure them properly they are pretty much airtight (at least as much as you need in your case). You could also use spray foam or caulk as an extra measure, but you probably don't need that. I don't see a problem with using two bbqs vs one, but I'm not an expert on this subject. Maybe someone else could answer that, but in my (unknowledgeable) opinion it seems perfectly fine. Also, make sure you've got your favorite bottle with you (if you're into that).
I'm really sorry for whatever led you to be in this situation. Life isn't always fair and it can be so painful and cruel. I hope you can find peace, whatever you decide to do. All the best, bb
I appreciate your reply and yeah life is interesting, in my case I "felt" like I was on the right path to what I wanted but it all came crashing down about a year ago and I just don't see another way out of it. It is what it is, is kinda where I'm at and I've accepted that, I've done pretty much everything on my hypothetical bucket list and I'm ready to be free now.

Question as well, with the grills, there's an airflow adjustment on the bottom and I was wondering for anyone with experience with these grills or this method, what position is best for this method after the coals are at the right temperature and it's inside?

Reactions: momentomori5
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
How much charcoal are you planning on using? What does the room measure L x W? Do you plan on putting something in there to lay down on, like a chaise lounge or something? There's a formula floating around for calculating the amount of charcoal for a given volume of space, but not sure where it is right now. You can search for it if you want. You can't go wrong with more charcoal, but you can go very wrong with not enough. But, you plan on lighting the charcoals outside the trailer, letting them get white hot, then moving them into the room and waiting until the CO builds up? So, is the plan to sneak into the room real quick after giving enough time for the CO to build up? You'll lose some CO by opening the door, so you need to take that loss into consideration. Yes, everything needs sealed, even where the walls meet the floor. The walls in those trailers are paper thin and certainly not sealed well. You could always test the room with some "smoke bombs" and then go outside and observe the leakage. Any lights on the ceiling? RO lump is good.

CO is my method, but I'm going to use a tent. I also purchased a CO meter than measures up to 10000 PPM.

• Informative
Reactions: LittleBlackCat and dialogos
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Please consider this: CO is a little bit lighter than air. It is enough so that you will have the least CO concentration close to the floor, where you probably plan to sleep.

You will minimum 0.135kg charcoal / m³ (@locked*n*loaded referred to this formula). I would double the amount and depending on the room size I'd use 2 BBQs.

If you can afford a CO meter ( 10000 ppm ) that would be useful to check the concentration of CO and you might want minimum 8k ppm better 10k ppm for a fast pass out (within minutes).

T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
The room is about 80in by 92in. There currently is a twin sized mattress in there now (on a frame and box spring) which takes up nearly half of the room that I'd plan on laying on. Sometime in the past the trailer was remodeled, and the walls were replaced with drywall, new ceiling and floor so there shouldn't be too many issues with that leaking air except the windows. The chimney starters I have can hold about 1.3kg per starter and I was going to use two of those.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
You can use steel buckets, too, if the bbq grills might take up too much room. Now, you have the formula supplied by @Praestat_Mori, so you can convert your inch measurements for the length, width, and height of the room into meters and figure things out pretty easily. The meter recommended by @Praestat_Mori is a good idea if you can swing it, but be warned - the ones that measure up to 10000 PPM are not very cheap. I paid something like $280 + tax for the one I bought. Getting the CO up to 10000 PPM ,at least, is a very good idea, if you'd like to avoid all of the ill effects and much suffering from the CO. Personally, I'm in the "more is better" camp with regard to amount of charcoal to use. You really can't use too much, but you can certainly use too little.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and TheGoodGuy
T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
You can use steel buckets, too, if the bbq grills might take up too much room. Now, you have the formula supplied by @Praestat_Mori, so you can convert your inch measurements for the length, width, and height of the room into meters and figure things out pretty easily. The meter recommended by @Praestat_Mori is a good idea if you can swing it, but be warned - the ones that measure up to 10000 PPM are not very cheap. I paid something like $280 + tax for the one I bought. Getting the CO up to 10000 PPM ,at least, is a very good idea, if you'd like to avoid all of the ill effects and much suffering from the CO. Personally, I'm in the "more is better" camp with regard to amount of charcoal to use. You really can't use too much, but you can certainly use too little.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'll have just enough room for all the grills. I was thinking of using 2 of the Weber grills and I'll buy a few of the disposable grills just in case the two are not enough. I figure the formula (if my math is correct) is saying roughly 1kg, doubled to 2kg. I've got almost 7kg of coal and I'll have the capacity to burn it all so I might do a little overkill just to guarantee everything. My plan would be to start just one chimney and get that nice and hot, move it to the grill and put that in the room, followed by lighting 2 more chimneys, go into the room with the other two. Basically get the CO levels elevated, then come in and double down before I lay down for my long nap. Have everything taped up to the best of my ability and even if there's a small leak, it should matter too much as their would be I'd say more than triple the formula.

My math and correct me if I'm wrong is

72h+80w+92l= 244in, convert that to meters is 6.2 meters. Then take the 6.2 meters and multiply that by 0.135kg of coal to get 0.837kg of coal (a little under 2lbs of coal) if I use triple that I should be on the bus shortly after I lay down by my calculations, but I'm also not perfect at math so if anyone sees any errors I appreciate your input!

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I've got almost 7kg of coal and I'll have the capacity to burn it all so I might do a little overkill just to guarantee everything.
If you're absolutely intent on dying, and you've thought everything through, this is what I would do.

My plan would be to start just one chimney and get that nice and hot, move it to the grill and put that in the room, followed by lighting 2 more chimneys, go into the room with the other two.
Do you mean that after lighting the other 2 chimney starters, that you would immediately put them into the room with the first one, and go into the room yourself at the same time? Maybe that's not what you're saying and I am misunderstanding, but make sure you let the charcoals in the last 2 starters burn off their impurities first before placing them in the room. Even after that, I'd wait a bit and let the CO build-up. Of course, you'll have to hold your breath when entering the room and getting the door closed as quickly as possible and to make it to wherever you plan on sitting or lying down.

72h+80w+92l= 244in, convert that to meters is 6.2 meters. Then take the 6.2 meters and multiply that by 0.135kg of coal to get 0.837kg of coal (a little under 2lbs of coal) if I use triple that I should be on the bus shortly after I lay down by my calculations, but I'm also not perfect at math so if anyone sees any errors I appreciate your input!
This is not correct. You need to multiply the length X width X height to end up with cubic inches, and then convert that to cubic meters. What you come up with should be 8.68 Cubic Meters. (72 in X 80 in X 92 in = 529,920 cubic inches = 8.68 cubic meters)

Then you take the .135 kg/m³ (which means .135 kg of charcoal for every 1 cubic meter of volume) and multiply it by the volume of the room that we calculated (8.68 m³) and that results in 1.17 kg. Multiply that by a factor of 2 for "safety" and the amount of charcoal needed MINIMUM is 2.34 kg (5.16 pounds). So, 7 kg (15.4 pounds) should be way more than enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleBlackCat and Praestat_Mori
T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
If you're absolutely intent on dying, and you've thought everything through, this is what I would do.

Do you mean that after lighting the other 2 chimney starters, that you would immediately put them into the room with the first one, and go into the room yourself at the same time? Maybe that's not what you're saying and I am misunderstanding, but make sure you let the charcoals in the last 2 starters burn off their impurities first before placing them in the room. Even after that, I'd wait a bit and let the CO build-up. Of course, you'll have to hold your breath when entering the room and getting the door closed as quickly as possible and to make it to wherever you plan on sitting or lying down.

This is not correct. You need to multiply the length X width X height to end up with cubic inches, and then convert that to cubic meters. What you come up with should be 8.68 Cubic Meters. (72 in X 80 in X 92 in = 529,920 cubic inches = 8.68 cubic meters)

Then you take the .135 kg/m³ (which means .135 kg of charcoal for every 1 cubic meter of volume) and multiply it by the volume of the room that we calculated (8.68 m³) and that results in 1.17 kg. Multiply that by a factor of 2 for "safety" and the amount of charcoal needed MINIMUM is 2.34 kg (5.16 pounds). So, 7 kg (15.4 pounds) should be way more than enough.
I appreciate your reply, and yes I was going to light one and once the impurities have burned off I'd place that in the room, light the other two and make sure the impurities burn off before entering the room again with the 2nd and 3rd grill. The first one there would be just to get the production started with 3lbs, then enter with another 6lbs. That would leave me with another 6lbs of charcoal if I need it, which I suspect I won't.

I appreciate the correction on the math, was never my strong suit lol

I suspect 9lbs of charcoal, albeit hot, should produce enough CO in a room that small.

T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
NP, but with 7 kg of charcoal, it really didn't make any difference.
Either way I appreciate it, I couldn't source a 4th grill (out of stock despite what the website said) so 3 it's gonna be, but I might have also under estimated how much coal fits in one grill so there's that. Once I get everything sealed hopefully later this week I'll finally get to enjoy my long sleep. Thank you to everyone that helped get my calculations correct.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
How do you carry hot grills of charcoal into the room? Heat resistant gloves? Also the CO meter, if it is in the room of CO how do you retrieve it to see the reading? I have a few practical questions like this.
I've also wondered about particles in the smoke or how much smoke is made, and how much it heats up the room.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
How do you carry hot grills of charcoal into the room? Heat resistant gloves? Also the CO meter, if it is in the room of CO how do you retrieve it to see the reading? I have a few practical questions like this.
I've also wondered about particles in the smoke or how much smoke is made, and how much it heats up the room.
that seems like quite a bit. i think i have that much but of the shit variety. i guess it depends on how well you get them to light at the same time?
After lighting the charcoal OUTSIDE the room/tent you have to wait until there is no smoke and the coal looks greyish. Then is the right time to put the BBQ inside.

You may not need gloves to carry your grill, depends on the model.

T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
I'm figuring that there should be a few minutes where the grill isn't too hot to carry after dumping the charcoal in, but I'll have a pair of oven mits nearby in case I'm wrong.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
that seems like quite a bit. i think i have that much but of the shit variety. i guess it depends on how well you get them to light at the same time?
It is a lot, no doubt. I'm still not convinced that the "shit" variety cannot get the job done as well as the "non-shit" variety. It's all going to produce CO. They just need to be burning white hot and hopefully without a lot of smoke (impurities). I plan on using a WHOLE LOT MORE than what's necessary.

T

tubs35

Aug 24, 2023
It is a lot, no doubt. I'm still not convinced that the "shit" variety cannot get the job done as well as the "non-shit" variety. It's all going to produce CO. They just need to be burning white hot and hopefully without a lot of smoke (impurities). I plan on using a WHOLE LOT MORE than what's necessary.
Yeah that's basically the direction I'm going in. I'd rather use a lot more and deal with the heat personally as I don't think I'll have to deal with the heat very long. It'll account for any missed leaks I didn't cover up, and any leaks caused by doing it inside instead of in a tent. From what I read, CO is a pretty toxic chemical at much lower levels than are going to be produced by 3-4 grills (9-12lbs of charcoal).

Reactions: locked*n*loaded