MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
At what point at how can it be certainly said that someone has clinical depression vs depression caused by life? (or in other words they are just v.v.v unhappy with life, for whatever reason; the cards they were dealt, treatment from other people, things that have happened to them etc.). I believe that someone could be clinically ok (in their mind or brain) but things that have occurred in their life - either one major event, or just a culmination of factors that have built up over a life- time, e.g. constant & long term money woes, lots of stress, low job satisfaction etc, ) and this makes them understandably v.miserable after a long time spent existing like this- but it is not to my mind 'depression' inititially although I do believe that after a certain amount of time it can almost become a kind of clinical depression- as it becomes simply too long to spend feeling a sense of distess, despair or hopelessness that yr life situation has caused you to feel (and having to constantly fight hard to try and change or improve your life can wear you down and break you) without it changing you- sometimes irrevocable so.

One psychiatist said I had situational depression- that is that it is all my life experiences and things that have happened to me that have made me depressed-in this way it is also treatment resistant- as all the anti-ds can not change the 'facts' of my life and what led me to have a breakdown and now be permanetly sad. I havent smiled or laughed once in a year - does that mean I am clinically depressed? or is this just the result of a life lived with too many woes & stuggles that it eventually broke me, has left me bereft of even small moments of happiness, total lack of hope and severe anhedonia. I dont think I was depressed before- just stresses and anxious (sometimes a little sad) due to many life factors & now I have become like this- it became too much to cope with ultimately.

Sometimes I am suprised when I read accounts of 'clinical depression', that is when the person can not discernibly even say 'why' they feel the way they do- sometimes I have even seen/ read people admit they have a good life & do actually have everything they want & need to be 'happy', good job, family & friends, security etc. but yet they still have a deep internal depression- its feels so strange to hear such as accounts as I KNOW why I am/ have become depressed and all the things that could have prevented it. I am still so surpised and it makes me sad that there does not see to be a real treatment as yet for clinical dep/ bi-polar etc. As is mentioned on here it seems many pills dont work or some people dont have access to all available treatment. I hope one day they can find a good treatment, seems like early intevention is important, as is trying multiple things to find the best one for the individual. Sometimes I think I wish I had 'clinical' depression, so I could seek out and try ALL the treatments. As mine is life depression- I know that no 'treatment' can help me now. (of course like the mental vs physical pain thing- I might say the other way around if I did have the clinical type) I have sadly just 'given up' with life- not out of choice; I feel like my brain, spirit, & soul just broke, caved in one day, and are now irreparable.

thku

Reactions: Misanthrope
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think that clinical depression (based on your definition) is perhaps over-represented (no offense to the people who actually have said thing) and there are still debates as to which criterion and standards are used (and whether they are valid) to determine such a diagnosis. I don't doubt that there are people out there with the condition, but I believe most people's depression is mostly caused by the circumstances in society and things outside of their (immediate) control to better their lives, which is the situational depression. I don't think situational depression is considered irrational because that depression is a result of the things that happened in one's life. No amount of treatment or medication will change the circumstances (only serve to mask the symptoms and delude said patient into believing that things are good and life is great - when it is clear as day that said person's life sucks).

Another issue is the fact that when most people hear the word 'depression', the first thing that comes to their mind is that the person is irrational, not even considering the why and the causes. It's like an automatic label, judgment, conclusion upon hearing the word. A fair amount of mental health professionals are also guilty of doing this too, partly due to the money to be made by mislabeling and misrepresenting a patient's (real) problems in order to milk as much money out of them. This is yet another reason why I don't see professionals nor even talk about it IRL. People don't understand and don't want to understand. It's almost ironic how people advocate for mental health and speaking up, yet when the people (patients) who want to voice it, no one listens but instead virtue signals and feigns care (which imho is even worse than simply not caring at all).

So in conclusion, I do believe that a lot of depressed people are oftenly suffering from a fucked up society with fucked up norms and the way the masses and even those in power are treating them. Then any attempt to rectify the situation is struck down at every corner by either shaming the individual to silence, dismissing grievances and problems by shifting the locus to mental health/irrationality (thus stifling any meaningful conversation), and worst yet, even threatened involuntary force, cruel judgment, or feigning compassion.

• Love
Reactions: Misanthrope and MeltingHeart
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
I think that clinical depression (based on your definition) is perhaps over-represented (no offense to the people who actually have said thing) and there are still debates as to which criterion and standards are used (and whether they are valid) to determine such a diagnosis. I don't doubt that there are people out there with the condition, but I believe most people's depression is mostly caused by the circumstances in society and things outside of their (immediate) control to better their lives, which is the situational depression. I don't think situational depression is considered irrational because that depression is a result of the things that happened in one's life. No amount of treatment or medication will change the circumstances (only serve to mask the symptoms and delude said patient into believing that things are good and life is great - when it is clear as day that said person's life sucks).

Another issue is the fact that when most people hear the word 'depression', the first thing that comes to their mind is that the person is irrational, not even considering the why and the causes. It's like an automatic label, judgment, conclusion upon hearing the word. A fair amount of mental health professionals are also guilty of doing this too, partly due to the money to be made by mislabeling and misrepresenting a patient's (real) problems in order to milk as much money out of them. This is yet another reason why I don't see professionals nor even talk about it IRL. People don't understand and don't want to understand. It's almost ironic how people advocate for mental health and speaking up, yet when the people (patients) who want to voice it, no one listens but instead virtue signals and feigns care (which imho is even worse than simply not caring at all).

So in conclusion, I do believe that a lot of depressed people are oftenly suffering from a fucked up society with fucked up norms and the way the masses and even those in power are treating them. Then any attempt to rectify the situation is struck down at every corner by either shaming the individual to silence, dismissing grievances and problems by shifting the locus to mental health/irrationality (thus stifling any meaningful conversation), and worst yet, even threatened involuntary force, cruel judgment, or feigning compassion.
This is a great! very perceptive. I was about 17 when I was first prescribed anti-depressents, id had a bad upbringing, was suffering from anxiety (with bad IBS) & panic attacks and was as good as homeless at the time. When I went to the doctor about the panic attacks- I was barely asked about my life situation, was not recommended counselling, therapy or any youth service for advice etc - I was given pillls. They did boost my mood and alleviate my anxiety- so that I was just able to 'keep going' and I have been existing on survival mode ever since, those underlying causes never dealt with - for the next twenty years & various doctors-all giving me repeat presciptions & not one, not one ever suggesting therapy or anything like that- then after all these years a doc said I could prob come off my anti-ds if i wanted & then having a huge breakdown - resulting in multiple suicide attempts...guess what...now they mention therapy!! i dont even want it now, i just want to ctb now- also the only time many people have paid attention to me....but thats another story

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I think life itself is depressive, its just how one reach that conclusion. But in both cases, the human way to overcome it is gone either by situations or body and mind problems. There can be more unclassified problems but all will lead to the depression.