D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Thread by Lijing Cheng @Lijing_Cheng - on Twitter
Oceanographer from IAP/CAS, working on XBT, ocean observations, ocean heat content and earth's energy budget

Ocean heat content (0-2000m) data from IAP and NOAA/NCEI was just released, NO surprise, 2019 was the warmest year on record for global ocean. Not only that, the past 5/10 years are the warmest 5/10 years!

OHC is one of the key measure of global warming. Human activities emit greenhouse gases (i.e. CO2) into the air, which taps more and more heat in the climate system. Ocean stores more than 90% of the global warming heat!

A updated ocean energy budget from 0m to ocean bottom shows a total full-depth ocean warming of 370 ± 81 ZJ (~0.38 ± 0.08 W m^−2) from 1960 to 2019, with contributions of 41.0%, 21.5%, 28.6% and 8.9% from the 0–300, 300–700, 700–2000m, and below-2000m layers, respectively

The heating was distributed throughout the world's oceans, The Atlantic and Southern Ocean continued to show a larger warming compared to most of the other basins. Probably because they have strong mixing and subduction so more efficient for heat penetration downward.

Zonal/Vertical sections of ocean temperature trend from 1960-2019, organized around Southern Ocean (80-60S meridional mean) at center. Contours are climatologies. Lots of infos of how/when heat was penetrated downward! Inspired by Schmitz1996 and Gruber2019 schematic.

In situ ocean subsurface temperature observations have increased in spatial and temporal over time, and near global coverage (0-2000m) has been achieved since 2007 due to #Argo. Improved data quality and techniques have reduced uncertainties in OHC. Chapter-1#SROCC

Ocean seems far away from many people but it is linked to everyone: the ocean covers 71% of the Earth surface and contains ~97% of the water on our planet. It is a key component of the climate system (together with atmosphere, land and cryosphere) that we depend on. #SROCC

Consequences: melt ice from bottom, bleach coral reefs, rise sea level, fuel storms, reduce ocean dissolved oxygen, increase extremes/marine heat waves etc. These stresses pose high risks to biodiversity/fisheries, and cause economic losses. Ocean links to many #SDGs #SROCC

Brilliant info. I used to design info graphics some nice stuff there.

Last edited:
PwincessStepford

PwincessStepford

I wish I were a princess.
Dec 31, 2019
Climate change is a hoax but u are right the powerful are gaining increasing levels of control over our lives.

Climate change is real, but how much humans are contributing to it, I find dubitable. Climate change is natural; humans seem to forget that the earth has gone through crazy periods, such as ice ages, longgggg before we existed. It isn't as though the Earth purposely maintains homeostasis for living beings. It's as uncaring as the rest of the universe.

Reactions: 262653