Not_Quite_Dead_Yet

Not_Quite_Dead_Yet

Student
Oct 27, 2018
I live in almost total isolation, due, in part at least, to my long habit of smoking cigarettes. The isolation is not by choice, rather by most people avoiding even being around me, though I never smoke when close to others, only when alone. I feel rejected, a real pariah. Nothing helps, even spraying myself with Febreze so I don't smell like an unwashed ashtray. As an introvert, I don't mind not being surrounded by people constantly, in fact, I prefer it most of the time. But it hurts to be considered so disgusting that no one wants to be around me even briefly. Blechhhh, they make me feel like a filthy addict. Okay, I'll accept the addict label but filthy? No. How do you other smokers out there handle the spoken or implied criticism that you are a deeply flawed person, not worthy of respect or interaction? Quitting is not an option for me. It is the one thing that gives me comfort in a crappy world. They'll have to pry my last ciggie out of my dead, cold hand.

Reactions: _Minsk and charlottewilts
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
i air out my jackets at night. clothes i just wash.

also, what's with the huge font? :pfff:

Last edited:
Reactions: _Minsk and MeltingHeart
Not_Quite_Dead_Yet

Not_Quite_Dead_Yet

Student
Oct 27, 2018
i air out my jackets at night. clothes i just wash.

also, what's with the huge font? :pfff:

Sorry about the font; I am visually impaired, have a hard time seeing small font but I'lll try

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk and charlottewilts
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
Sorry about the font; I am visually impaired, have a hard time seeing small font but I'lll try
no worries man!! i struggle a bit with reading text on screens because of my shitty eyesight so it was actually quite helpful, just a bit unexpected.

also, when i was younger and wanted to hide my smoking habit from my parents, i would spray myself with lemon essential oil. it really helps hide the tobacco odour! you may smell like cleaning products but to others it's still more pleasant than smelling like ciggies :happy:

Last edited:
Reactions: _Minsk and MeltingHeart
LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
Big font to help you read this.
Yes, people are verbally abusive about my smoking.
Like you, I try to minimize the smell.
I keep some clothes wrapped in plastic and put them on when I know that I will be around nonsmokers.
The people calling you "filthy" might be taking out their anger/impotence on a more vulnerable person because of their own ugly problems.
Please feel safe on this site.
Peace and kindness,
L.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, Sensei and charlottewilts
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I remember when smoking was more socially acceptable. Now you're shunned or given a dirty look for doing it. It doesn't bother me though. After all, no one likes a quitter.

• Love
Reactions: LegaliseIt!, justwhy? and TheDevilsAngel
justwhy?

justwhy?

Student
Sep 27, 2019
Most of the smell is actually on your face and hands. So washing them helps (I was a secret teen smoker). Vaping is way cheaper and in my experience more satisfying. I use a flavourless liquid.
If you know the person rebuking you well enough and they're overweight then I reckon poking them in the belly is a just retort.

Reactions: _Minsk and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Consider using snus (<< link). It's used in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland, but among EU countries it's only legal in Sweden. It's cheaper than cigarettes and basically not harmful for your health at all. I get the impression that you are American, and if so, I know it's legal to import it in the USA, because I've met Americans who use it. Be warned that it's strong, though. There's ten times more nicotine in snus than in cigarettes and you will get dizzy the first time you use it. It's also highly addictive, but it seems you don't give a f**k about that.

Reactions: _Minsk, Brick In The Wall and justwhy?
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Consider using snus (<< link). It's used in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland, but among EU countries it's only legal in Sweden. It's cheaper than cigarettes and basically not harmful for your health at all. I get the impression that you are American, and if so, I know it's legal to import it in the USA, because I've met Americans who use it. Be warned that it's strong, though. There's ten times more nicotine in snus than in cigarettes and you will get dizzy the first time you use it. It's also highly addictive, but it seems you don't give a f**k about that.

It may be less harmful but it's still dangerous. Anything that's fun is. Americans have access to Snus products now without importing it. We had a huge craze of the stuff like 10 years ago. I liked it because you don't have to spit like with dip.

Reactions: _Minsk and Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
It may be less harmful but it's still dangerous. Anything that's fun is. Americans have access to Snus products now without importing it. We had a huge craze of the stuff like 10 years ago. I liked it because you don't have to spit like with dip.

There have been quite a few medical studies and it's not very harmful. It can give you bad teeth, especially if you use big quantities of stronger brands, and temporarily raise your blood pressure and heart rate, but that's it. It's not been possible to confirm that there's a link between snus and cancer in any form. Sure beats getting lung cancer.

Last edited:
Reactions: justwhy? and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
There have been quite a few medical studies and it's not very harmful. It can give you bad teeth, especially if you use big quantities of stronger brands, and temporarily raises your blood pressure and heart rate temporarily, but that's it. It's not been possible to confirm that there's a link between snus and cancer in any form. Sure beats getting lung cancer.

Lung cancer would suck for sure. But we're all probably going to get some kinda cancer anyways. Pretty much everything causes it nowadays. Lucky for people like us we can just take the easier route out in said situation. Gimme SN over chemotherapy anyday.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Lung cancer would suck for sure. But we're all probably going to get some kinda cancer anyways. Pretty much everything causes it nowadays. Lucky for people like us we can just take the easier route out in said situation. Gimme SN over chemotherapy anyday.

I should be careful what I ask for, but if I would contract lung cancer nobody would blame me if I took a shortcut, so to speak.