• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

A

alexending0412

Nov 12, 2023
I'm 25, and have been (unknowingly) ill my entire life due to a genetic disorder that had signs that weren't noticed by those around me. At 15, I became severely ill with unrelenting fatigue and pain. I've had gastrointestinal issues for my entire life, but only at 21 did I get diagnosed with a genetic connective tissue disorder and a multitude of comorbidities. I'm now on a list of medications that genuinely fills up a page of lined A4 paper, as well as awaiting multiple quite gruelling operations, including an ostomy and a surgery where they will break my pelvis in 6 places.

Most of my chronic illnesses will never be cured during my lifetime, and I've been disabled for a decade now. I'm unfortunately not even "sick enough" to qualify for medical euthanasia in Switzerland. I've lost out on dating, making friends, getting my degree and a job, time with family and friends, learning, going outside, exercising, hobbies, and I sleep more than half the day due to my illnesses. My memory is failing, I struggle to remember both long and short term memories. I am not even 30, and yet I can't imagine living much longer like this.

I rely on my best friend of almost 10 years to care for me. He does my laundry, cooks, cleans, goes to appointments with me, sorts my medication, goes on errands for me, reminds me to do things, and generally just makes sure as many of my needs are met as he can. I could not ask for a better friend. My other friends are wonderful, too. They're creative, smart fun people who make life more colourful, and also help out whenever needed. They're beautiful, inside and out. My family have been some of the most supportive people in my life, always offering to help with medical stuff, always being there for me, always trying to help. They want nothing but the best for me.

But I am tired. Physically, emotionally, spiritually, I am exhausted. I don't want to do this anymore. Animals with my conditions are put down out of kindness, so why am I not afforded the same kindness? Instead, I have to live until my body gives out from one of my conditions, which could be a few years or a few decades. I could have a "normal" life span, but it would not have quality of life. My QOL is poor as it is, and is only likely to worsen, I just want to end things while I still have the ability to.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Danny(UK), WearyWanderer, ropearoundatree and 6 others
D

dggtscccvfd

Mage
Jun 1, 2023
I'm 25, and have been (unknowingly) ill my entire life due to a genetic disorder that had signs that weren't noticed by those around me. At 15, I became severely ill with unrelenting fatigue and pain. I've had gastrointestinal issues for my entire life, but only at 21 did I get diagnosed with a genetic connective tissue disorder and a multitude of comorbidities. I'm now on a list of medications that genuinely fills up a page of lined A4 paper, as well as awaiting multiple quite gruelling operations, including an ostomy and a surgery where they will break my pelvis in 6 places.

Most of my chronic illnesses will never be cured during my lifetime, and I've been disabled for a decade now. I'm unfortunately not even "sick enough" to qualify for medical euthanasia in Switzerland. I've lost out on dating, making friends, getting my degree and a job, time with family and friends, learning, going outside, exercising, hobbies, and I sleep more than half the day due to my illnesses. My memory is failing, I struggle to remember both long and short term memories. I am not even 30, and yet I can't imagine living much longer like this.

I rely on my best friend of almost 10 years to care for me. He does my laundry, cooks, cleans, goes to appointments with me, sorts my medication, goes on errands for me, reminds me to do things, and generally just makes sure as many of my needs are met as he can. I could not ask for a better friend. My other friends are wonderful, too. They're creative, smart fun people who make life more colourful, and also help out whenever needed. They're beautiful, inside and out. My family have been some of the most supportive people in my life, always offering to help with medical stuff, always being there for me, always trying to help. They want nothing but the best for me.

But I am tired. Physically, emotionally, spiritually, I am exhausted. I don't want to do this anymore. Animals with my conditions are put down out of kindness, so why am I not afforded the same kindness? Instead, I have to live until my body gives out from one of my conditions, which could be a few years or a few decades. I could have a "normal" life span, but it would not have quality of life. My QOL is poor as it is, and is only likely to worsen, I just want to end things while I still have the ability to.
How do you know you don't qualify for Switzerland? Have you applied and been rejected?

Reactions: xinino and Socrates Respecter
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I'm so sorry. I could never access a normal life either, but for other disabilities. Still you have very tangible health problems that sound very hellish to have to live with and adapt to.

CowardStaysIn

CowardStaysIn

This life isn't mine
Apr 27, 2024
I don't blame you. I believe as long as you are capable for deciding for yourself, you should be able to request and receive euthanasia. This idea that "life is precious, and it's better to be alive than not" is utter bullshit. The people who spout that bullshit never think about QOL (unless they're looking for ways to justify killing a disabled person who wants to live). I'd rather a good short life than a drawn-own existence full of suffering.

I'm in the same kind of boat - chronic illnesses (t2 diabetes, chronic kidney disease, asthma, hypertension...all but one of those actually fronts for Cushing's Disease which I finally got a diagnosis for this March). I am exhausted most of the time, and people don't seem to understand what that means - what it means to be exhausted in your bones - that no amount of rest will help and that you are still pushed by an ableist society to push yourself until you just can't anymore. I've had to learn to stop masking and just admit to myself when I need to stop for a while.

You have a great friend - they really love you to help you as they do. It's wonderful that you have a support network (contrast to me and being on my own, basically), and they are doing their best to help you have a life, but I get that they sympathize and even empathize, but they can't directly know how your conditions affect you. And doctors...well...they have a thing about hurting in the name of "healing", I've noticed. And I hear you about the laundry list of drugs. I'm on 23 IIRC. In my case, it's because the USA and the "add another drug instead of really evaluating whether this patient needs another drug" mentality. Also pharma rewarding for more scripts.

Hugs to you from another chronically ill person with a rare disease (though I think mine is more underdiagnosed than really rare).

• Aww..
Reactions: WearyWanderer, Socrates Respecter and xinino
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It really sounds like you've suffered so much, I hope that you eventually find freedom from your pain, it's really unacceptable how there isn't the option to be euthanised, it really does show the lack of compassion how that isn't allowed.

• Hugs
Reactions: WearyWanderer and xinino
WearyWanderer

WearyWanderer

Student
Nov 3, 2019

How did you find your friend? Is he disabled too? I need a friend like that but I have no one 😭