Predestinated

Predestinated

Student
Jan 9, 2019
"You die twice: once when you stop breathig and the second when somebody says your name for the last time"

Let's not forget the name of one of the most courageous woman ever: Christine Chubbuck

There is/was even an Amazon Prime documentary about her suicide on TV.

Reactions: Celerity, FatalSystemError591, Hurt and 4 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I had never heard this story before but I can definitely relate to her now that I have.

Chubbuck's focus on her lack of intimate relationships is generally considered to be the driving force for her depression; her mother later summarized that "her suicide was simply because her personal life was not enough." She lamented to co-workers that her 30th birthday was approaching, and she was still a virgin who had never been on more than two dates with a man. Her brother Greg later recalled she had gone out with a man several times before moving to Sarasota, but agreed that she had trouble connecting socially in the beach resort town. He believed her constant self-deprecation for being "dateless" contributed to her ongoing depression.

So sad. I guess I'll be following in her footsteps soon enough, though I wouldn't make it as public. It's such a shame that she felt like she had to.

Reactions: NodusTollens
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
She was a really interesting and strange case. I don't know if the documentary you mention is the movie Christine (2016), regardless I really recommend that movie, it tells her tragic story well.

• Love
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and NodusTollens
gtrfvr

gtrfvr

live and let live or die
Dec 4, 2020
I like budd dwyer's clip too, often think of it when thinking about how to aim

Doubledie2

Doubledie2

Feb 9, 2021
So you die physically and again when no one remembers you anymore? Is that why she made this such a public event - so her name would go down in history and be remembered as the first person to CTB live on TV? I suppose we all want to leave a legacy of sorts, something to be remembered by. And when no-one remembers that legacy anymore then you are gone forever. Then again, what if you were the last person on earth? Your death, or life for that matter will not make any difference to anyone else. The world is your oyster with no-one else in it. It kinda makes death pointless as you can at least do stuff in this oyster. In the end though I think you would be lonely. Like Christine. Surrounded by people yet alone in this world. Which is my conundrum- are people the reason for dying, or are people the reason for living?

Neowise

Neowise

We fly and fly but never reach our destination.
Oct 7, 2020
Wow she seems like she was just incredibly lonely :aw: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Chubbuck
Though I can understand why she was lonely. Sounds like she was pushing people away from her. Probably subconciously so she thought she is just unlovable, creating her problem herself. It's pretty sad to see whenever people are standing in their own way. I do the same though, I guess. Especially the last sentence sounds a lot like me.
Chubbuck's lack of a romantic partner was considered a tangent of her desperate need to have close friends, though co-workers said she tended to be brusque and defensive whenever they made friendly gestures toward her. She was self-deprecating, criticizing herself constantly and rejecting any compliments others paid her.

Reactions: Sadpat and muffin222
ClairyFairy

ClairyFairy

Wizard
Jan 22, 2021
"You die twice: once when you stop breathig and the second when somebody says your name for the last time"

Let's not forget the name of one of the most courageous woman ever: Christine Chubbuck

There is/was even an Amazon Prime documentary about her suicide on TV.

There's a kids film called coco that is this. It's why they have the day of the dead