stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I've had some time on my hands in the last year and have been channeling it into getting more and more familiar with chess (watching classes and tournaments on YouTube plus reading stuff online).
I only started learning two years ago ...so I'm far from being a pro.
Probably still beginner with a bit of luck intermediate.

I finally got around to make a proper account on chess.com. I'd love to play with some of you all.
Feel free to hit me up under "stygalchess"

• Love
Reactions: WornOutLife, Makko, watchingthewheels and 5 others
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I stink at chess. Wargames I can handle with all the variables and I'm too adhd to really think my moves out. I'll have to check out chess.com, didn't know there was such a thing.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Makko, stygal, 262653 and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Ah, I really liked chess when I was a kid. As Grav said, I feel like there are just too much variables to juggle with. And I don't like all the metagaming. I remember looking at some of the recent chess finals, and Spanish attack was played in about 50% of games. I played with some guy at the local chess gathering a few years ago, and he always played the damnable London thing. It's so universal it seems to works against every single black move. It frustrated me so much, although I understand that focusing on fewer openings can lead to a better performance...

• Hugs
Reactions: Makko and stygal
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I made an account and added you as a friend, but am unable to send a message.

I figured it out. Had to activate my account.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Makko and stygal
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I used to be quite good with an ELO of 1642. It's a bewitching game, but I seldom play nowadays.

• Love
Reactions: Makko, stygal and DocNo
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
My brain is too small for it, but I've played some. I think my score was like 800 or something lmao.

Reactions: Makko, stygal and Sensei
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
I used to be quite good with an ELO of 1642. It's a bewitching game, but I seldom play nowadays.

nice.

in my teens i played tournament chess in school and also in a chess club. i guess i also was in this 16 hundreds elo area.
but i always was better in blitz or other quick variants cause i mostly was too lazy to study chess openings.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: stygal, Makko and Sensei
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I played a lot of chess in grade school. My chess instructor was both a strong player and passionate about teaching. I challenged adults and beat them. They were always so upset about being beaten by a little kid. It was fun.

Haven't played a chess match since moving countries 17 years ago. Sad.

• Hugs
Reactions: stygal, Sensei and DocNo
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
I played a lot of chess in grade school. My chess instructor was both a strong player and passionate about teaching. I challenged adults and beat them. They were always so upset about being beaten by a little kid. It was fun.

had this too - men took it sometimes not that good being beaten by a 12-13 year old greenhorn ^^

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
but i always was better in blitz or other quick variants cause i mostly was too lazy to study chess openings.

I'm exactly the same!

• Love
Reactions: Makko, stygal and DocNo
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I'm exactly the same!
Blitz is really the better way to play. I understand the philosophical appeal of those extreme matches that take years to complete, with players deliberating each move for weeks or months, but in practice it sucks the fun out of it.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: stygal, Sensei, 262653 and 1 other person
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Yesssss op. Just been p,aying. Will add you. They coukd even put a section in for ss members...ss chess or something

• Hugs
Reactions: omoidarui, Makko, Sensei and 1 other person
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020

Maybe go ahead and give it a try again at chess.com ...the site is really engaging, but of course I understand when passions fade and you start to lose concentration or the drive to do it.
I also practice some Blitz if you're interested but I really still suck at it.
I made an account and added you as a friend, but am unable to send a message.

I figured it out. Had to activate my account.
Thanks, let's play some time :hug:
Seems like you would beat me pretty easily but I love a challenge....if you're ever up for it. :hug:
Yesssss op. Just been p,aying. Will add you. They coukd even put a section in for ss members...ss chess or something
Thanks for the add! :hug:
nice.

in my teens i played tournament chess in school and also in a chess club. i guess i also was in this 16 hundreds elo area.
I beat you once...so now I can die in peace (literally)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Makko and Sensei
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I used to play a lot of chess with my first therapist. She was court-appointed because of the abuse I suffered from my dad but whenever I wasn't feeling too down we would pass the time simply by playing board games like chess instead for my sessions. We were at about the exact same skill level so we almost always ended in stalemates though which I thought was pretty fun at least.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
I also practice some Blitz if you're interested but I really still suck at it.
don't sell yourself short. your play is really solid.
but i guess @Sensei may smoke us both in his pipe ^^

I beat you once...so now I can die in peace (literally)!
lol. yeah. :hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: stygal, Sensei and Makko

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
hc66t0yh75o31.jpg

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment