M

MaJo!

Aug 12, 2024
Hi, so I think I am all set now. Just waiting for the PPM-monitor to arrive.

Plan is to do:

20m2 room. Only 1 door, no windows. Seal up the door with ducktape.

3 x 9 kg lump charcoal.

3 x wheelbarrows.

I will place the charcoal in a wheelbarrow (1 bag for each), and heat up all the charcoals with firestarters.

Once the smoke clears and the charcoal is white/grey, Ill put all 3 wheelbarrrows inside the room, close the door and wait until the PPM level is high enough. The monitor only goes up to 6000 PPM, but Ill just wait another 10 minutes once it hits the max. level.

Does that sounds fine?

Only thing I am concerned about is making the charcoal ready. Should I get a bunch of grillstarters instead, and prepare the charcoal and then put it in the wheelbarrows, or do you think the wheelbarrows will be just fine to make the charcoal ready in?

Thanks

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Don't underestimate how much heat 27kg of charcoal can produce. I think it's ok to burn them in the wheelbarrows but grill starter isn't suggested bc of the possible unwanted emissions even later. You must definitely burn the coals outside and not inside.

Waiting for a high concentration is suggested, but keep in mind that you may want to seal the door behind you. Also, CO is a little bit lighter than air. If you walk into the room, take a deep breath and fall onto the ground there could be a small risk of failing. You should place yourself a little bit higher up.

Have you considered using a tent inside the room? You would need much less charcoal to fill the tent with a lethal amount of CO.

M

MaJo!

Aug 12, 2024
Yes, I read the 135g/m2 rule. And that to be on the safe side you should tripple that. So 405g/m2. So around 9 kg should be enough. But in order to be 100% safe Id prefer to tripple that as well.

So you would recommend that I put it in the wheelbarrows from the back, and start lit it up with some firestarters? And when the smoke clears out, and they all turn white/grey, I put them inside the room?

I will place myself a bit higher up, thank you for the advice.

Yes, I thought about the tent, but I would prefer to do it my hobby-room. Just for the comfortable feeling.

52yoandmiserable

Apr 19, 2023
Yes, I read the 135g/m2 rule. And that to be on the safe side you should tripple that. So 405g/m2. So around 9 kg should be enough. But in order to be 100% safe Id prefer to tripple that as well.

So you would recommend that I put it in the wheelbarrows from the back, and start lit it up with some firestarters? And when the smoke clears out, and they all turn white/grey, I put them inside the room?

I will place myself a bit higher up, thank you for the advice.

Yes, I thought about the tent, but I would prefer to do it my hobby-room. Just for the comfortable feeling.
Where I can find these "rules"?
Since SN is practically not an option and since I have been involuntarily hospitalized, I can no longer procure a firearm... charcoal may be the only option left.