• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

P

planmd

May 20, 2019
Hi all! I was preparing everything to ctb with nitrogen and the exit bag. Last week I wanted to prove my gas tank and regulator so that I could "go" during the weekend, but I was unable to open the gas tank. I talked to the supplier and today I have received a new tank and they have picked up the other one. I thought it was going to be much easier, but I am still unable to open it, so the problem is definitely with my lack of strength, not with the tank valve. I do not know what to do but I would really, really love to be able to ctb between today and tomorrow. Thus, I was planning to change to hanging. I had been reading through it over the past days just in case, and I want to do full suspension. I am afraid of not being able to die with partial hanging, I just cannot get how the SI does not kick in and make you move and just stand up. I feel that with total suspension there is no way back... right? Do you think that booking a hotel room, tying a rope to the knob of the bathroom door, putting it over the door and hanging at the other side of the door (maybe using some books under my feet that I would then kick off) is a good plan? I would not like to carry out attempts to see how it feels, just to do it once and for all. I do not know if it sounds like an effective plan. In my head now this seems even easier than nitrogen, but I do not know if I am right or not.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Circles and Soul
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
Hi all! I was preparing everything to ctb with nitrogen and the exit bag. Last week I wanted to prove my gas tank and regulator so that I could "go" during the weekend, but I was unable to open the gas tank. I talked to the supplier and today I have received a new tank and they have picked up the other one. I thought it was going to be much easier, but I am still unable to open it, so the problem is definitely with my lack of strength, not with the tank valve.
Have you tried a wrench or similar to provide leverage?

Reactions: Circles, Endqualia, planmd and 2 others
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Can you post a photo of the tank so we can see the stubborn bit? Someone may have a good technique to offer.

Meanwhile, the description sound like what I would do if I were going to try full suspension. I might favour a three-legged stool with a round seat that would roll away easily, but books seem good too.

I'm sorry you've been struggling, and that the tank is causing further struggles. That's completely uncalled-for. (((Hugs)))

Reactions: Circles, Superfluous and planmd
P

planmd

May 20, 2019
Thanks both! This is my tank:

11774 11775

Reactions: Circles and Superfluous
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
I'm assuming it's the top valve, so something like a lid opener, e.g.

Or an adjustable wrench, e.g.

Reactions: Circles, Endqualia, planmd and 1 other person
N

NOT

Experienced
Apr 16, 2019
It does look unacessible and poorly engeniered.
Seems like plastic. Maybe it will break if you apply to much pressure.

Reactions: Circles, planmd and Superfluous
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
Yes, I agree. Don't apply too much pressure if is plastic.

Reactions: Circles and planmd
LaBrava

LaBrava

Experienced
May 5, 2019
It can be easier to turn things if you put something rubber over to allow you a better grasp of it - putting an elastic band around it or using a rubber glove. Don't know if that would work here.

dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
No, these are definitely made of metal. And it looks like pretty much every other tank.

I'm not sure how to take off the protective collar / carrying handle though if that's in the way. On the tanks I've seen that had this, you had to remove a retaining ring and then you could pull it off, but I can't see one in the pics. Maybe it can be screwed off? Or it can't be removed at all.

Reactions: Circles, Smashingairwaves and planmd
P

planmd

May 20, 2019
I have tried with a kind of opener but it didn't work. It is metal, but it is true it is a little unaccessible. The protective collar is annoying, but it is not possible to remove it. I will try again with a wrench, covering it with a rubber glove, just in case. Thanks so much!

Yet if I can't get it, I may be definitely go for full suspension. I have looked at houses on Airbnb which have quite appropriate points to tie the rope (wooden beams, stars...) I really hope it works out well! This seems easy to me right now, and I do not know why I had even been planning with nitrogen for some weeks when hanging seems so simple and straightforward; but I am afraid I may see it like this now just because I am hurried know and a little more desperate about finding the best method and having it done.
Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Circles
P

planmd

May 20, 2019
@Soul Do you think the convulsions after full suspension would be hear by other people in the hotel? I am trying to decide if doing it in a hotel nearby or rent a house in the woods. I prefer doing it in a hotel room if possible, but I am concerned about the noise (also about the door holding my whole weight, but I suppose it will - I am around 52 kg-).

Endqualia

Endqualia

Jun 6, 2019
If you really want to use N this is a tool that should do the job. It's called a basin wrench and is designed to be used in unaccessible spots like that. You should be able to find it in most shops that sell tools. Make sure to get one that is large enough, mesure the knob and see. Instructions on how to use it are available on YouTube.

You decide what's your best option now, but if you are going to die then spending an extra 20 bucks shouldn't concern you. If you are not sure about hanging I would go with N.

Attachments

• Ridgid-Standard-Basin-Wrench-1010.jpg
    Ridgid-Standard-Basin-Wrench-1010.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 5
P

planmd

May 20, 2019
I have been able to open it! I cannot believe it!!!
Now that I have been able to open it...I opened it twice but closed it quickly as I noticed the gas was flowing outside between the tank and the regulator. I attach pictures. I do not know if it needs some kind of device in between. As far as I know, the regulator should be connected directly to the tank, with no other connectors, but in pictures I see of other people and on the Internet, the connections are different and have like kind of a barb, but mine doesn't have it. Maybe I just need to apply more strength with the wrench, but I ask just in case I need a connector to put in between. Thanks!! 11809 11810 11811

Last edited:
Reactions: Circles, Superfluous and Endqualia
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
@Soul Do you think the convulsions after full suspension would be hear by other people in the hotel? I am trying to decide if doing it in a hotel nearby or rent a house in the woods. I prefer doing it in a hotel room if possible, but I am concerned about the noise (also about the door holding my whole weight, but I suppose it will - I am around 52 kg-).

I'm sorry - that's beyond my expertise. If I were in a hotel I'd use the bathroom door or a closet door, not the door to the corridor ... but now that you've got the tank open I reckon it's a moot point?

Reactions: Circles and planmd
P

planmd

May 20, 2019
I'm sorry - that's beyond my expertise. If I were in a hotel I'd use the bathroom door or a closet door, not the door to the corridor ... but now that you've got the tank open I reckon it's a moot point?
Yes, it would be the door of the bathroom. Well, I do not know if it is a moot point yet, since I am seriously considering hanging. I want to do it tonight, and I don't know why there is gas flowing out of the regulator when I open the tank. I am trying to figure it out but I am running out of time. Also, without previous rehearsal, I am afraid of failing with the nitrogen, which was my preferred method until a few days ago. Full hanging seems to be completely effective in just one attempt, and looks so simple... I was going to get a rope now and I was planning to go to the hotel with both the rope and the nitrogen&equipment... I do not know why I did not considered hanging from the beginning. Maybe because the nitrogen technique seems so painless and smooth, but it seems it can go wrong in many ways and I am concerned.

Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
From what I can see, it looks fine. The white/grey bit should provide the seal. Maybe it just needs to be tightened a bit more, but it's difficult for me to be sure without actually seeing it. Don't use too much force when tightening. Are you sure the fittings are the same diameter? Both either metric or imperial sizes? If you have the specifications of both the cylinder and the regulator, it may help to confirm.

If you can provide links to the other people's equipment you mention, I could take a look.

Reactions: planmd and Circles
P

planmd

May 20, 2019
From what I can see, it looks fine. The white/grey bit should provide the seal. Maybe it just needs to be tightened a bit more, but it's difficult for me to be sure without actually seeing it. Don't use too much force when tightening. Are you sure the fittings are the same diameter? Both either metric or imperial sizes? If you have the specifications of both the cylinder and the regulator, it may help to confirm.

If you can provide links to the other people's equipment you mention, I could take a look.

Thanks!!! Yes, I tightened it a bit more with a wrench and it worked :) Again a problem of my "huge strength" it seems. There is no air escaping in between now, or at least that I can hear, and both gauges work correctly. The cylinder valve needs to be completely open when ctb, right? And I think there are no leaks between cylinder-regulator and regulator-tube, but in case there is a leak I cannot notice, I hope the method still works well. I have a big cylinder (7L, so 1400 litres of gas), so I suppose I would not run out of nitrogen... I hope.

I wanted to ctb tonight but I need to finish writing some notes and have not booked the hotel. It's already 11pm in my country, so I may be going very very late and book a room last minute, or just postpone it one or two days. I have a family event tomorrow and I would have liked to have it done before...but... I suppose that such an important thing like this cannot be hurried. Maybe I should prepare the last details and, in case of going with nitrogen, practising a little before. Anyway, I also bought a rope today. I have been practising with the knots right a moment ago, and it seems I can tie them easily. I am seriously considering this other method (complete suspension)... I am very afraid of failing with nitrogen, too much.