Do you tend to assume the worst of things/people?

• Yes

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
I'm not the 'live love laugh' type. I tend to make the proverbial mountain out of a molehill for even the most trivial things. My brain has been hardwired from past experiences to assume the worst of people, and to expect worst-case scenarios. Viewing the world through the lens of preconceived notions has closed my mind. I'm not willing to leave my comfort zone to try new things and meet people, and this prevents me from living life to the fullest.

Catastrophic thinking however, is not without its advantages. In a twisted sort of way, it gets me to lower my expectations as I'm always 'one step ahead' of disappointment. It is after all, a defense mechanism against the uncomfortable.

• Hugs
Reactions: Scribble Fan, FuneralCry, Efilismislife and 5 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
We can only give what we get, only put out what is put in.
If our experiences teach us that something (or someone) will go a certain way, time and time again, then most of us tend to listen and live by such.
It's actually the smarter and safer thing to do.
I would say it's inevitable-the predicament you find yourself in, sometimes you need a major external change in pace and pleasant surprises, in order for your internal machinations to morph accordingly.
It's very difficult, and sometimes even unadvisable, to just suddenly expect the best when you've always been hit with the worst.

• Love
Reactions: FuneralCry, Efilismislife, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
Rayzieka

Rayzieka

Not Really Here
Apr 28, 2021
If I could stop and only assume the best in everyone I would trade my schizophrenic paranoia in a heartbeat.
I hate constantly thinking everyone hates me or wants to hurt me, and I hate the psychotic thoughts of a higher plan out to get me by using others.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Scribble Fan, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, UseItOrLoseIt and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Things yes, people no. Unless that person is myself. Otherwise I'm usually far too lenient on other people and willing to give them the benefit of the doubt even when they don't deserve it.

This is simply because they aren't me and I know for a fact that whatever motive they had for doing an evil act, I most likely would have done the same or worse.

• Hugs
Reactions: daddy Phil :) and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Dec 25, 2020
We can only give what we get, only put out what is put in.
If our experiences teach us that something (or someone) will go a certain way, time and time again, then most of us tend to listen and live by such.
It's actually the smarter and safer thing to do.
I would say it's inevitable-the predicament you find yourself in, sometimes you need a major external change in pace and pleasant surprises, in order for your internal machinations to morph accordingly.
It's very difficult, and sometimes even unadvisable, to just suddenly expect the best when you've always been hit with the worst.
Well said. Someone came up with an analogy of putting in and taking coins out of a piggy bank with positive and negative encounters respectively. If the coins get depleted faster than they can be replenished, there will come a point where only a deus ex machina can turn the tables of poverty and break the vicious cycle of negativity.

If I could stop and only assume the best in everyone I would trade my schizophrenic paranoia in a heartbeat.
I hate constantly thinking everyone hates me or wants to hurt me, and I hate the psychotic thoughts of a higher plan out to get me by using others.
This. It is certainly tiring to be on guard all the time from a world 'all out to get you', and sometimes you just can't shake the feeling that people are talking trash behind your back. Social interactions are mental gymnastics to me as I feel like whatever I say or do is subject to intense scrutiny. With that said, I'm envious of 'live love laugh' people. They say ignorance is bliss.

I know for a fact that whatever motive they had for doing an evil act, I most likely would have done the same or worse.
I agree with your point of view. Humans are the same everywhere—we all have needs and wants, and it can be argued that for our actions are motivated by self-interest.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc, LastFlowers and Efilismislife
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
At least you're aware of how your mind works. That supposedly counts for something

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
Efilismislife

Efilismislife

Psychopath family tortured me
May 25, 2021
I can relate to that a lot. Not really assume the worst in people or everything but i tend to be very cautious.

The "fight and flight" mode and prepare for anything.

So that i dont get disappointed which happens a lot.

"Learn from experience"

because of my experiences and combine that to my personality&having a lot of trust issues.
Making me very critical, skeptical and too realistic-pessimistic

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and puppet_nihilist
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I can relate. I expect the worst in everything. I think it gets wired into your brain when you have experienced bad luck, disappointments and this life has given you pain. Over time it becomes what you expect from situations. It can be a good thing in a way, as if you have high expectations for things you can end up being disappointed more.

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and puppet_nihilist
Gaybonez

Gaybonez

vegan jesus
Nov 30, 2020
I'm not the 'live love laugh' type. I tend to make the proverbial mountain out of a molehill for even the most trivial things. My brain has been hardwired from past experiences to assume the worst of people, and to expect worst-case scenarios. Viewing the world through the lens of preconceived notions has closed my mind. I'm not willing to leave my comfort zone to try new things and meet people, and this prevents me from living life to the fullest.

Catastrophic thinking however, is not without its advantages. In a twisted sort of way, it gets me to lower my expectations as I'm always 'one step ahead' of disappointment. It is after all, a defense mechanism against the uncomfortable.
I assume the worst of things, not people, but yea. It's my favorite pasttime

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Dec 25, 2020
At least you're aware of how your mind works. That supposedly counts for something
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm aware that it's the reason I'm not as happy as I should be.

The "fight and flight" mode and prepare for anything.

So that i dont get disappointed which happens a lot.
It can be a good thing in a way, as if you have high expectations for things you can end up being disappointed more.
Likewise, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than sorely disappointed.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: motel rooms
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
I'm in catastrophing thinking since kid, since i can remember. And the sad part is that there were a couple of times that i had it, but said it's too crazy and bad to think about it, and it went fatal. Also have a case where i missed something, couldn't forsee variables and results, and it was like - since then my life here is like on big credit.
I don't know how other people live without thinking that way, without fear, without doubt. That's the life i have and there is nothing i can do to change it. Statistacally speaking i got only 2 times not thinking the worst, and the worst happend. And knowing that, won't let me change.
I can hide all of this from other people. No one knows that, don't talk about it, unless it's work related and necessary. But work is just fun and can't compare to the day to day life scenarious in my head.
Anyway that doesn't stop me from having fun or talking to new people. In fact i prefer to meet new people and talk with them. Everything around my past is almost long forgotten, simply cause i tried to give some trust and i at least not just failed, but failed epic :)
Also that thinking creates fear, but it gives me complete immunity against almost everything that most people will be afraid, simply cause i have calculated it so million times before happening.

Last edited:
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Assuming the worst of everything gives me more cases to work with.

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Dec 25, 2020
Anyway that doesn't stop me from having fun or talking to new people. In fact i prefer to meet new people and talk with them. Everything around my past is almost long forgotten, simply cause i tried to give some trust and i at least not just failed, but failed epic :)
Also that thinking creates fear, but it gives me complete immunity against almost everything that most people will be afraid, simply cause i have calculated it so million times before happening.
Agreed. It's like getting vaccinated. Your immune system gets a boost, but you develop some side effects which can range from mild to severe. For me, catastrophic thinking makes me want to isolate myself from others. I'm glad that it doesn't cause problems in for you at work or hinder social interaction.

Assuming the worst of everything gives me more cases to work with.
I like your approach.

Reactions: newave3