sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Does anyone have any guidance on choosing a career? Can someone help me choose one? Idk what I would want to do for a living, in fact there's nothing that I would want to do. I don't have a dream career or job. I have a useless degree in a stem field which doesn't translate to anything apart from med or grad school…Btw I don't dream of labor, but unfortunately in this world we all have to work to survive.

Please this is urgent because I need to figure out my life, my parents are on the verge of kicking me out because I'm a failure, I'm basically a shut-in at this point. They want me to have a career but there's honestly nothing I want to do

Last edited:
Larysa

Larysa

Student
Apr 11, 2023
Surely a STEM degree would allow you to go into pharma, teaching, and anything that requires a non-specified degree. None of those may appeal, but your degree is unlikely to be useless.

If you are pretty much shut in at the moment, a less demanding role might be needed as a stepping stone. Even volunteering. Might get your parents off your back if you are clearly taking action?

This might be worth a look at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58841040-what-color-is-your-parachute-2022

Reactions: jar-baby, Celerity and sserafim
carnivalforone

carnivalforone

Experienced
Sep 29, 2023
did you ever figure it out? im not gonna get kicked out or anything i live alone, but i wanna try and do something with my life and i lack guidance from anybody.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
You could do what I'm doing and complete an accelerated nursing degree. You'd be done in 1-2 years depending on your prerequisites. Sounds like that's not your speed though. There is always teaching. Science and math teachers are in high demand.

Otherwise, many office jobs, especially government ones, prefer to promote degree-holders even if the job doesn't require it.

tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
There is always teaching
I'd think about what country you are in and how teaching is there before considering that field. There are many presumptions of the job that the actual reality completely dispels. Maybe I'm talking from bitter experience here. I couldn't possibly comment...

The best job book I ever read was; What Colour Is Your Parachute? and it's constantly updated. But that's going back many years, so I can't speak for it now.

I actually suggest doing the 16 personalities test just to get an idea of yourself a little more.

Not everyone gets to do their dream job. If you can find a job that you like 7/10, you're doing better than most people.

The biggest mistake I made was: assuming being good at something is enough grounds for doing a job. It's not anywhere as simple as that. Mark Manson frames it as "What flavour of shit sandwich are you prepared to eat?" and I think he gets it spot on.

Oh jeez the post is from over two months' ago, so apologies if you're well beyond that now.

Reactions: movinout17 and Celerity