airixv

airixv

Oct 18, 2018
Hey all,

It's been a hot minute. Hope everyone has been doing okay in the meantime, missed talking to you.
I've been lurking on here on and off since my last failed attempt at partial. I cannot for the life of me (and by that I mean for the death of me hah) compress my carotid arteries, maybe it's an individual anatomy thing? Or I have haven't been executing it right, I just don't know.

Anyways, I've aborted that method and since decided that I want to go with CO via charcoal burning. But my biggest fear is it somehow failing and me winding up in a vegetative state. I have one shot and I want to be certain it's implemented right. I have everything I need and have done a test run of burning 1kg of Weber charcoal briquettes in a chimney starter. I waited around roughly 25 or so minutes until they were mostly light grey and glowing. When I poured them into my portable BBQ, they seemed to shed an outer coat of sandy shit that exposed a darker shade of grey underneath. Where they just not burned properly, or does it look about right? I wonder if I should do two 1kg lots of charcoal, one to the same point as in the photos, and an additional load that I could burn a bit longer just to insure they're burned to the optimal degree? I just don't want to risk over-burning one lot and have it crumble away and surpass the maximum point of CO production, and I don't want to subdue the burning of a load by pouring in in the BBQ prematurely. I've taken into account the fact that doubling the quantity = more heat, and there's a risk factor of too much heat melting the top of my tent (or car, I'm still undecided).

That's the other thing. I have purchased the Regatta Malawi 2p pop-up tent, which is a convenient function as it means I might be able to use it on my deck instead of the ground and just weigh the ends down without needing pegs. That would be better for me rather than the backyard because there's a smaller line of sight from the neighbours, but I wonder if the gaps on the wooden planks would create an issue with airflow passing through the floor? My other option is a car, which might be a little bit risky as I can only do it in the carport, where the delivery man passes through (my flatmates are always getting parcels). I could only go with the car option in the daytime while my flatmate is asleep.
I have been set on doing it in the tent up until now, but now I'm feeling a bit unsure because I read in another post someone saying that they would go with a car over a tent, their reasons being uncertainty of permeability through the tent walls. But the OP in the 8ch thread (https://8ch.net/suicide/res/36746.html#36746) sounds just as confident in tents as in cars. All these mixed opinions are making me feel really nervous.

Below are some photos of the charcoal burning trial. Sorry this turned into a flippin' novel, but like I said, I only have one shot at this and I wanna be certain and confident I'm doing it right.

Thank you all so much in advance x

IMG 2540 IMG 2542

Reactions: Setepai, 21Neberg, nohoper and 1 other person
N

nohoper

Dec 2, 2018
sounds like you have done your homework :),they do look dark grey and should be ash grey, weird that they lost the grey outer coating ,maybe do more tests letting them burn longer or shorter in the chimney , i think you will always get some sandy shit and a few dark patches.even using a chimney as they dont all burn completely evenly but should be mostly ash grey. did they look ash grey in the chimney before pouring out like mine in the pic?
I wouldnt use your tent on the deck as it would allow air in you need it sealed as much as possible..

have added a pic of one i did the other day,as you can see they are ash grey but still have black patches and sandy shit in the bottom.,pm me if you need anymore advice.
IMG 20190102 092214217 IMG 20190102 093330271

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and airixv
airixv

airixv

Oct 18, 2018
Thank you so much for the response :)

Yeah by comparison yours definitely look paler than mine, even before I tipped them out of the chimney. It's weird that mine are so gritty/sandy, it even looks quite beige. I wonder if I should try a different brand of briquettes? We have Kingsford here in NZ but someone in the CO megathead said they've heard of failed attempts with that brand, but for all we know that could have been a number of different factors.
I'll for sure do another trial run with the Weber ones first though, and give them a bit more time. In my last attempt I figured they were ready because of the time I gave them and also they were starting to crumble a little bit at the bottom.
Thanks for the photos, they'll be good to use for reference. I will also try to use newspaper rather than firelighter cubes, as I did last time. What did you use?

And cheers, I think you're right about not doing it on the deck. Better safe than sorry :')

Rats, I think I have to make a certain number of posts before I can PM, that option still isn't available to me

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and nohoper
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018

Yeah by comparison yours definitely look paler than mine, even before I tipped them out of the chimney. It's weird that mine are so gritty/sandy, it even looks quite beige. I wonder if I should try a different brand of briquettes? We have Kingsford here in NZ but someone in the CO megathead said they've heard of failed attempts with that brand, but for all we know that could have been a number of different factors.
I'll for sure do another trial run with the Weber ones first though, and give them a bit more time. In my last attempt I figured they were ready because of the time I gave them and also they were starting to crumble a little bit at the bottom.
Thanks for the photos, they'll be good to use for reference. I will also try to use newspaper rather than firelighter cubes, as I did last time. What did you use?

And cheers, I think you're right about not doing it on the deck. Better safe than sorry :')

Rats, I think I have to make a certain number of posts before I can PM, that option still isn't available to me

You currently have 8 posts, and you need a minimum of 10 to send private messages.

You're making good progress I think! Personally, this isnt my way to go as I would never be able to set that up properly. I wish you the best of luck though!

N

nohoper

Dec 2, 2018

Your welcome and have sent you a pm as you cant send me one yet :)

airixv

airixv

Oct 18, 2018
You currently have 8 posts, and you need a minimum of 10 to send private messages.

You're making good progress I think! Personally, this isnt my way to go as I would never be able to set that up properly. I wish you the best of luck though!

Ah, good to know! And thanks, much appreciated :) I hope your method of choice serves you well too! x

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and 21Neberg
airixv

airixv

Oct 18, 2018
Soooo I have an update. Sorry it took so long for me to post. But I just want to forewarn people not to go with Weber briquettes. I'm a big dummy and after said trial, I left the briquettes to die out in a bowl outside the house. It was away from view but of course my flatmate stumbled across it some time later when he got home from work. I just heard "what's a bowl of rocks and sand doing outside?" and then a crash, as he had picked it up and dropped it while it was still pretty hot. BUT the drop was enough for the rest of the "sandy shit" I mentioned to be shattered off the briquettes, and as you can see per photos, they were still very much black underneath. They should have been white throughout, right?

Not only that, but while I was burning them and when I put them in the BBQ, they radiated a lot of heat which caused me some concern about potentially melting the car or tent ceiling. Even about a foot or so, it was too uncomfortably hot for me to hold my hand above it.
I've since been back to the store to purchase some from a different brand (Hotrox), and was asking the shop assistant in that department and he seemed to be quite knowledgable about the brands and had personal experience with them. He said that the Weber briquettes do burn much hotter than the other ones. So I figure I will do another trial with the Hotrox Hardwood briquettes and see if they are more suitable.

IMG 2853 IMG 2856

Reactions: sif, nohoper and Lifeisatrap
airixv

airixv

Oct 18, 2018
Also I noticed on the bag, the Weber briquettes say they are "reusable"

Reactions: sif, nohoper and Lifeisatrap
M

melanar

Aug 7, 2019
Hey @airixv are you still around?
I also bought WEBER briguettes but still didnt open it. Can you show the packaging? Maybe mine are different somehow