boxtobs

boxtobs

unfortunate geometry (Toby)
Jan 23, 2023
So, I was assaulted by a family member for years as a kid (a strong opener, I know), which is horrible in a dozen ways, yaddah yah, sure.
The thing that's been causing difficulties as of late is that I can see them in my face, more and more as the years go by. The older I get the more striking the resemblance is. I thought by the time I was old I'd be over it but it's still killing me.
I can't have mirrors around. Shop and car windows are a logistical nightmare to avoid. All I need is a glimpse of my jaw or my nose or my brow and I'm reduced to. Well.
I don't know. It's a slow kind of horror, and also deeply humiliating. Even if I look like them, it's been decades, I should be better than this. And I do try to be. I can wear face masks and glasses and cover as much as I can, but it never stops the feeling of being vile.
I understand logically I am not becoming them, but it doesn't stop the feeling that am. How could it when every flashback and nightmare is punctuated by what is now our face. I can't cut my hair or check an outfit without taking my meds first, I can't stand the feeling of anyone looking at me. Had a breakdown over my own ID, which. Just feels so pathetic, whether that's fair to myself or not.
I'm exhausted. I fucking hate this. I had my symptoms under control for a good ten years and now it feels like I've wasted my time. Scared of something as simple as my own body.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: CentreMid and SamTam33
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That does sound really tiring and awful what you have to endure, it certainly is such a cruel world that we exist in where so many people suffer all through no fault of their own. But anyway, best wishes.

Mixfeels

Mixfeels

Feb 24, 2023
Its not your fault.. im sorry you have to go through this

S

SamTam33

Warlock
Oct 9, 2022
I totally get it. I hate how daughters tend to look like their fathers. I hate that I have his face. I hate him so thoroughly that there's no way on earth I could ever love what he made. It would be irrational to do so.

I often feel like it should be some sort of crime to give someone your face against their will. It feels like a bodily violation. They have literally forced themselves on you.

I'm the same way with mirrors and reflections. But it's so bad that I can "see" my face without even looking at. I feel it sitting on my shoulders. I see my face whenever I hear him speak.

I bristle and want to spit when someone gives me a compliment. I mumble "thanks" so quickly that I sometimes wonder if I even acknowledged what they said at all.

It sounds insane, but by saying something nice about my despicable face - you've made me think about it. You've made me think about him. And you've messed me up for the rest of the day.

I daydream about how different I'd feel if I loved him. If I loved him, then I could love me.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: boxtobs