DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
Hello
I have a medical question. Imagine such scenario:
A person has all their physical needs met. They are fed, watered, washed and they are being forced to move so the diseases from the lack of movement can't happen. But the person suffers incredible unimaginable and unbearable amounts of mental pain. Will they die assuming they won't commit suicide? Will they die from the mental exhaustion after some time? I'm just curious.

Reactions: death137, Amumu, raindrops and 2 others
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I'm pretty sure it can happen yeah, but there's probably not too many cases

Reactions: dropdeadfred and Umbrellaterm
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Stress leads to an onset of heart disease. Too much stress can make the heart work much harder therefore decreasing your life span. It's a slow death, not sure if it ever works, though people do die of a 'broken heart'

Reactions: lofistos345, raindrops and dropdeadfred
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
Supposedly some people do but there's only correlation, no cause is yet explained.

Reactions: dropdeadfred
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Hello
A person has all their physical needs met. They are fed, watered, washed and they are being forced to move so the diseases from the lack of movement can't happen. But the person suffers incredible unimaginable and unbearable amounts of mental pain. Will they die assuming they won't commit suicide? Will they die from the mental exhaustion after some time? I'm just curious.
I don't know for sure if it would but maybe look into animals living in captivity? I was just compared to one recently because of how all my needs were met yet I still feel this way. I haven't done the research yet but if you could find any examples for them then maybe that would shed some light on the answer you seek.

Reactions: dropdeadfred
U

Umbrellaterm

All parents are evil incarnate
Oct 22, 2020
Body and mind work together.
Like @Illias said, I believe it can happen albeit very, very slowly.

I recall a study done on loneliness and it said being lonely is the same as smoking 10 cigarettes a day (or a pack, whatwcer)

Last edited:
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
If I we could die from suffering I'd be dead already, as would 90% of the people here.

• Hugs
Reactions: All washed up, Weary Soul, Caspers and 1 other person
B

bigdog

Arcanist
Jul 12, 2020
You will function like a plant. Brain will burnout if we are talking about extreme stress

W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
It feels like it.
Part of my story is heartbreak. I've not talked about it here. But my soul's been sick with lost love for decades- it eats away at you. Sure i've loved others since but they are not him.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: introspectious and raindrops
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
Your heart can "break" from too much suffering and stress in some cases

Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
Hello

Aneurism

D

deadmalk

Nov 25, 2019
I lost my youngest son to suicide, he was 12, a year and half ago. I have pretty much lost all will to live life. I really believe my life is slowly wilting away. I am stuck in a dilemma where I can't figure out how to get my family all together and I feel the stress of not having control has led me to have ailments I didn't have before. Losing a child is such a great suffering and I honestly don't feel I can or will make it much longer- whether I decide to CTB or my body will simply give up. While I have tried twice to seriously end my life after my son passed, I don't feel I have the courage at times- it is a huge final decision to make. I am not the same person, I don't enjoy life, I have lost all interest in everything and most days, I lie in his bed doing nothing. I have recently developed an irregular heartbeat to add to PTSD (I was in the next room, heard it and found him). I am haunted every morning reliving those 15 minutes and every night not able to sleep for fear that I won't wake up. My mind is so confused because I want to be with him, but I don't want pain. I don't know- all I can really say is I am dying slowly and suffering great pain as each moment passes.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Silvermorning and Goodbye710
Viceroy

Viceroy

Student
Oct 20, 2020
Most of us would be dead already

Reactions: Silvermorning and Mr2005
darkness falls

darkness falls

Oct 22, 2020
I think stress over time does a LOT of damage. Both mentally and physically. In fact there's a theory that stress plays a major role in disease in general.... I can't remember where I've read that or the validity of it but I can certainly see the possibility. My fibro and arthritis was probably at least partially triggered by stress. I don't think it helped.

There ARE cases of animals (esp dogs) who die of a "broken heart" and it's usually triggered by a loss of some kind.

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Yes, you can literally die from suffering.
Your brain has an option when physical pain is at its climax which enables you to die.

With regard to mental pain, some cases have been reported of people dying without any reason, especially for the elderly.

Last edited: