strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Don’t believe everything you think
Mar 2, 2021
I had to stop driving because I constantly got thoughts about crashing into things. I didn't want to be a danger to anyone else. I didn't tell anyone that, although I had previously and they thought I was joking. I just said I got anxious, for which I got a lot of unsolicited advice (just keep doing it, you'll get more comfortable). I've never had any accidents and am a good driver. I wouldn't have passed if I couldn't drive, I just find it really distressing. I'm not sure if it's even true, or if I made it up. I'm very disconnected from reality. If I'm going to return to normal life, I need to be able to drive safely to function. Right now all I can do is lay in bed. Is there any point in living like this?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: flowerpetalashtray, xLosthopex, sorella santini and 13 others
Tackingintothewind

Tackingintothewind

Mage
Mar 2, 2021
Maybe try driving with other people in the car. I imagine you wouldnt want to harm other people. Once you are comfortable behind the wheel again try a short drive on your own in a area with plenty of people. And continue building slowly.
If you work try and carpool with someone.

• Love
Reactions: Fehler, Sensei, Jumper Geo and 2 others
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
I can but I also have a lot of anxiety driving.

• Hugs
Reactions: Jumper Geo and strangeceleste
strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
Maybe try driving with other people in the car. I imagine you wouldnt want to harm other people. Once you are comfortable behind the wheel again try a short drive on your own in a area with plenty of people. And continue building slowly.
If you work try and carpool with someone.
You are so sweet. Thank you for responding. I'm sure my head is mainly lying to me. I don't want to harm other people, you're right. Although one time I was in the car with my dad and I very much wanted to drive into something and end us both (I didn't do it but it's exhausting constantly fighting that). So if I do this, will pick people I don't want to hurt. Sending lots of love
I can but I also have a lot of anxiety driving.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. I found driving so anxiety-inducing, even aside from the crashing thoughts. I hate when things are beyond my control, and driving is definitely one of those things. Hope it gets easier for you :heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumper Geo and Zzzzz
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
I wish I knew some advice on how to help you. My OCD centers thoughts of self-harm and boy does speeding in 2 tons of steel not help. After being in 3 car accidents in 1 year (none of them my fault) I haven't driven for the past year and a half. For a year after my last accident (really until about a month ago) I knew the feeling of laying in bed and being too anxious to do literally anything (driving or not). Personally, I found the right medication and changed my living situation which eventually helped. Although that dark place and that low has been forever driven into my mind and I'm still afraid sometimes. I got really rambly but I know how you're feeling. I guess that's the point of this site. For when we decide enough is enough of that kind of pain.

• Hugs
Reactions: Jumper Geo
strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
I wish I knew some advice on how to help you. My OCD centers thoughts of self-harm and boy does speeding in 2 tons of steel not help. After being in 3 car accidents in 1 year (none of them my fault) I haven't driven for the past year and a half. For a year after my last accident (really until about a month ago) I knew the feeling of laying in bed and being too anxious to do literally anything (driving or not). Personally, I found the right medication and changed my living situation which eventually helped. Although that dark place and that low has been forever driven into my mind and I'm still afraid sometimes. I got really rambly but I know how you're feeling. I guess that's the point of this site. For when we decide enough is enough of that kind of pain.
I'm so sorry to hear about the OCD thoughts, and the car accidents. I'm immensely glad something is helping, always reminds me there is hope. I'm sorry you're still afraid, brains are weird, especially when it thinks we're in danger. Sending so much love

• Hugs
Reactions: NeverSatisfied and Jumper Geo
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
I prefer to drive when there are fewer cars on the road. When I went to the grocery store after not driving in years. I broke down into tears. It was difficult. It's somewhat easier now but that doesn't mean I enjoy it or want to do it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Jumper Geo and strangeceleste
_battered_butterfly_

_battered_butterfly_

PaperDoll_EasilyTorn
Mar 5, 2021
Never learned how to drive. Have lots of anxiety over it. Always have

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei, Jumper Geo and strangeceleste
Trisolaris

Trisolaris

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
I could drive in the past. Now I'm physically and mentally unable to.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei, Jumper Geo and strangeceleste
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I actually really enjoy driving. When I'm by myself I can sing or at least hum to music in my car and make it as loud as I want to. I even play my kazoo while driving (which I also find amusing because sometimes people assume I'm like vaping or something).

The three worst things about driving are parking, traffic, and other drivers. Besides those though driving is still fun. Even if I'm driving people around I get to show off my horrible music taste and they have to sit there and listen because most people I know believe that the driver always gets to decide the music.

• Love
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, less than, Lmd and 5 others
strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
I prefer to drive when there are fewer cars on the road. When I went to the grocery store after not driving in years. I broke down into tears. It was difficult. It's somewhat easier now but that doesn't mean I enjoy it or want to do it.
I sometimes felt like I'd have a panic attack while driving. I'm glad it is a bit easier, you're a warrior for fighting. The fact you're back on the road because you have to be takes so much strength
Never learned how to drive. Have lots of anxiety over it. Always have
Learning to drive was massively anxiety-inducing for me, but I do remember getting more comfortable. My instructor was really nice, and sometimes just chatting with him made it easier to do the physical actions of driving without thinking about it too much. Just remember you're saving the planet by not driving
I could drive in the past. Now I'm physically and mentally unable to.
I'm so sorry to hear that, sending so much love

• Hugs
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
Yes, I drive but in the UK if you passed your driving license test prior to February 2001 you can drive a 50cc moped without learner plates so I bought one to whizz around on as the traffic is bad in London.

Cheers

Geo

Reactions: Sensei and Dr Iron Arc
strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
I actually really enjoy driving. When I'm by myself I can sing or at least hum to music in my car and make it as loud as I want to. I even play my kazoo while driving (which I also find amusing because sometimes people assume I'm like vaping or something).

The three worst things about driving are parking, traffic, and other drivers. Besides those though driving is still fun. Even if I'm driving people around I get to show off my horrible music taste and they have to sit there and listen because most people I know believe that the driver always gets to decide the music.
I'm so glad you enjoy it. It's so cool that you play the kazoo. That sounds really fun. I like being in my friends' cars. Carpool karaoke is a vibe. I'm sure I used to enjoy driving at times, the issue is my brain has convinced me I didn't and I am a danger. I do NOT agree that the driver gets to decide the music though :pfff:
Yes, I drive but in the UK if you passed your driving license test prior to February 2001 you can drive a 50cc moped without learner plates so I bought one to whizz around on as the traffic is bad in London.

Cheers

Geo
Ooooh, that sounds fun! I could never drive in London. I lived there for a few years and the public transport was sufficient for getting me around (I hate the tube and the bus but you won't ever like everything). Have seen some pretty bad cyclist accidents too

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fehler, Jumper Geo and Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm so glad you enjoy it. It's so cool that you play the kazoo. That sounds really fun. I like being in my friends' cars. Carpool karaoke is a vibe. I'm sure I used to enjoy driving at times, the issue is my brain has convinced me I didn't and I am a danger. I do NOT agree that the driver gets to decide the music though :pfff:
I understand. I felt similarly after getting into an accident a few years ago. I eased back into it by not driving at all then driving only short distances before getting back to normal but since you haven't had an accident it's hard to say if that would work if you do.

In my case, the driver gets to decide the music anyway because they're the ones giving people free rides and in charge of everyone's lives. :pfff:

• Hugs
Reactions: Fehler and strangeceleste
strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
I understand. I felt similarly after getting into an accident a few years ago. I eased back into it by not driving at all then driving only short distances before getting back to normal but since you haven't had an accident it's hard to say if that would work if you do.

In my case, the driver gets to decide the music anyway because they're the ones giving people free rides and in charge of everyone's lives. :pfff:
Glad you got back into it, but not being subject to poor taste in music outweighs those benefits

• Yay!
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020

Ooooh, that sounds fun! I could never drive in London. I lived there for a few years and the public transport was sufficient for getting me around (I hate the tube and the bus but you won't ever like everything). Have seen some pretty bad cyclist accidents too

Driving a moped in London gives you the confidence to drive on holidays like Thailand as the roads are so full of other people on mopeds, so it was a good experience.

Cheers

Geo

strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
I could never drive in London.
@Jumper Geo I just remembered that I actually learned to drive and passed in London lmao. In my head, anything out of Zone 2 isn't London but that's not true. Also I will be returning to Greater London and driving there lmaooo
Driving a moped in London gives you the confidence to drive on holidays like Thailand as the roads are so full of other people on mopeds, so it was a good experience.

Cheers

Geo
I had manual driving lessons in South east asia when I was 16. It was chaos but I remember feeling thrilled. Almost collided into a man with a cart of goats going the opposite way

• Yay!
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
@Jumper Geo I just remembered that I actually learned to drive and passed in London lmao. In my head, anything out of Zone 2 isn't London but that's not true. Also I will be returning to Greater London and driving there lmaooo

I had manual driving lessons in South east asia when I was 16. It was chaos but I remember feeling thrilled. Almost collided into a man with a cart of goats going the opposite way

I was driving in Pattaya about 20 years ago but apart from the hundreds of other drivers you have to keep a lookout for the elephants that walk by the roadside as they could just step out in front of you and the handler has no power to stop them.

Cheers

Geo

• Yay!
Reactions: strangeceleste
Ameya

Ameya

A nobody
Mar 22, 2021
Personally I can drive. Legally? No, because i haven't done my license yet, but I have been tought how to drive. If I would sit alone in a car near a cliff the result would be obvious. Driving with others in my seat or other cars around me I couldn't get it over my heart putting others in danger. Since maybe these people have a better live then I do.

• Hugs
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Glad you got back into it, but not being subject to poor taste in music outweighs those benefits
Well I tend to drive worse anyway whenever I'm NOT listening to music I'm familiar with (aka my shitty music taste). I actually get a lot of anxiety when nothing is playing haha. :ahhha:

• Hugs
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Yes. I find it incredibly boring though.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and strangeceleste
strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
Well I tend to drive worse anyway whenever I'm NOT listening to music I'm familiar with (aka my shitty music taste). I actually get a lot of anxiety when nothing is playing haha. :ahhha:
Listening to music might actually help me, I thought it would distract but that would be a good thing. I promise I was just teasing btw, I just mirror people and taste in music is subjective. I get very anxious in the absence of sounds as I'm left with thoughts

• Hugs
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
ansiedad

ansiedad

Alone
Dec 29, 2020
Yes I can drive safe.

Last edited:
  • Love
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Listening to music might actually help me, I thought it would distract but that would be a good thing. I promise I was just teasing btw, I just mirror people and taste in music is subjective. I get very anxious in the absence of sounds as I'm left with thoughts
Yeah, I figured. Was just keeping the ball rolling lol. But yeah, give it a shot next time if you've got a good song in mind. I think for me concentrating on familiar catchy melodies is what helps me focus on the road better and filter out a lot of the mind clutter, at least it makes auto piloting a lot easier...

• Love
bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
I have a driving license. I could drive but if I had a serious accident, the insurance would probably not answer because I am taking psychotropics (psychiatrist). It is quite serious that most doctors do not report this. I drove with medical drugs for many years and also had suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, etc. Imagine a panic attack on the highway and having to continue until you find an exit to enter an urban area and be able to rest. It really is an effort of aurocontrol that exhausts to the maximum. Then wait for it to pass, take some anxiolytic and keep driving. It's crazy.

strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
I have a driving license. I could drive but if I had a serious accident, the insurance would probably not answer because I am taking psychotropics (psychiatrist). It is quite serious that most doctors do not report this. I drove with medical drugs for many years and also had suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, etc. Imagine a panic attack on the highway and having to continue until you find an exit to enter an urban area and be able to rest. It really is an effort of aurocontrol that exhausts to the maximum. Then wait for it to pass, take some anxiolytic and keep driving. It's crazy.
Oh my love, I am so sorry to hear that. That does sound crazy, I often felt on the verge of a panic attack when driving and the thought of having one on the road makes me never want to drive again

Reactions: bad luck
Fehler

Fehler

Oct 12, 2020
I've been around for 10 years and I really like it. I can understand you because when I worked and returned at dawn alone in the van on the highway, I was tempted to swerve at full speed or to embed myself in a wall that I had "booked".
There was always the fear of becoming a vegetable so I did not get to do it.

Relatable, I consider myself a good driver but I'm not very good at parking and my orientation is bad so I stay in a mediocre one.
I also got a taste for singing when I'm in the car.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and strangeceleste
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Only tried driving once, I could probably get form point A to B without any major damage to the car. I wouldn't follow any traffic rules and might hit one or two people, though. Might have to get a licence if I don't die this year, :ehh:.

• Wow
  • Yay!
Reactions: summers, bad luck, Dr Iron Arc and 1 other person
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
I had to stop driving because I constantly got thoughts about crashing into things. I didn't want to be a danger to anyone else. I didn't tell anyone that, although I had previously and they thought I was joking. I just said I got anxious, for which I got a lot of unsolicited advice (just keep doing it, you'll get more comfortable). I've never had any accidents and am a good driver. I wouldn't have passed if I couldn't drive, I just find it really distressing. I'm not sure if it's even true, or if I made it up. I'm very disconnected from reality. If I'm going to return to normal life, I need to be able to drive safely to function. Right now all I can do is lay in bed. Is there any point in living like this?
I'm learning to drive right now. With how paranoid I am I'll probably, hopefully not get into any accidents.

• Love
strangeceleste

strangeceleste

Mar 2, 2021
I'm learning to drive right now. With how paranoid I am I'll probably, hopefully not get into any accidents.
Good luck! I hope it's not too stressful for you, I'm sure you'll do great

Reactions: Luchs