CrystallicEyes

CrystallicEyes

running away from my problems, as per usual
Oct 24, 2023
I tried combing through threads on here mentioning about the 988 hotline, but I haven't come across any regarding the use of VPN when texting the 988 hotline. As someone who's curious about using the 988 texting line, but is very scared of getting the cops called to my house, would using a VPN while texting on the hotline prevent them from tracking my location? Thank you.

RobertGomes

RobertGomes

Jan 16, 2024
It depends, are you planning to go there and just talk about how you feel? If so, there's no reason for them to try and track you down. You should worry about it if you try and commit suicide while having a conversation with a supporter, which would maybe to trigger a legal action against the VPN company to check if they have any logs of the users (Although most VPN companies say they don't maintain user's IP logs, they actually do, they just don't tell you this).
988 texting line is a safe space, I've been there myself last week and had a pleasant conversation with a gentle soul.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CrystallicEyes
jacarandagarden

jacarandagarden

Errare humanum est
Jan 14, 2024
In 2017 I told the woman who picked up my call that I had a plan, which was enough for her to send cops over. Don't know how much that hotline has changed, but I think if you just say these are only thoughts in your head which won't be put into action, then cops won't be sent. Not sure about VPNs tho.

• Love
AtomicWaffles

AtomicWaffles

hxppy thxughts
Dec 15, 2023
I think they can still track you with VPN but I'm not sure. If you wanna be safe, get a burner number if possible, the best one I found is TextNow. Pair it with a VPN and after the conversion request deletion.

• Love