N

nothingchanges

Student
Sep 11, 2020
I honestly don't want to erase it all or reset it for the slightest chance that i survive cause i have so many important things on it... but say i did ctb and left my phone with a new password that no one could guess, could the police access any of my phones info? even through the cloud? notes, photos, browser history, etc? (to investigate motive or whatever)
cause i don't want them to link it to ss or my family to know about certain interpersonal relationships etc.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kat!, it's_all_a_game, Disco Biscuit and 1 other person
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
That's a really tricky question because there are multiple answers. They can and they can't. It really depends on the circumstances, the provider you have, the reason for the search and whether or not it's able to be guessed. Data can be accessed for a multitude of reasons. Not every ctb has those qualities... but some, especially prolonged unattended deaths usually have more of an investigation than not to rule out foul play.

Reactions: nothingchanges
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I'm pretty sure that most of the time then can access it. They don't respect the dead-_-privacy? What's that?

I guess the circumstances do matter but I don't see a reason why they couldn't access your stuff

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I honestly don't want to erase it all or reset it for the slightest chance that i survive cause i have so many important things on it... but say i did ctb and left my phone with a new password that no one could guess, could the police access any of my phones info? even through the cloud? notes, photos, browser history, etc? (to investigate motive or whatever)
cause i don't want them to link it to ss or my family to know about certain interpersonal relationships etc.

Yes, they can access it.

I too worry about resetting my phone and destroying it beyond recognition so that no information can be obtained from it if I should survive.

I am trying to figure out ways around this - maybe a copy of my phone's data that I will hide if that is possible.

<3

K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
The NSA (if living in the US I suppose) can access anything but, have not interfered in real life investigations, so far as we know.
Apple's Iphones have a great reputation of being hard or impossible to crack, even the FBI has had problems with them. Apple has assured their customers that they will not make excuses for criminal cases if I remember that correctly.

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
Gromit had a lot of information on this topic, it might be helpful to look up what he posted.

<3

Reactions: nothingchanges and Isadeth
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
The NSA (if living in the US I suppose) can access anything but, have not interfered in real life investigations, so far as we know.
Apple's Iphones have a great reputation of being hard or impossible to crack, even the FBI has had problems with them. Apple has assured their customers that they will not make excuses for criminal cases if I remember that correctly.
It takes a lot for apple products to cooperate and unlock a phone. Like a lot lol they will refuse giving a password to even the owner haha

Reactions: nothingchanges and Kat!
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
It takes a lot for apple products to cooperate and unlock a phone. Like a lot lol they will refuse giving a password to even the owner haha
Yeah I'm really glad they don't give up anything.
As for the OP's question, probably. Anything you post on the internet is most likely here forever even if it's deleted, but do not fret, as long as you're not some serial killer there is absolutely no way they will go snooping around your personal things. Investigations into suicide regarding the person who committed suicide are very shallow.

• Love
Reactions: PrincessInWhite and nothingchanges
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
If you encrypted your phone probably not. If you have a simple passcode probably. Complex passcode maybe.
That's a really tricky question because there are multiple answers. They can and they can't. It really depends on the circumstances, the provider you have, the reason for the search and whether or not it's able to be guessed. Data can be accessed for a multitude of reasons. Not every ctb has those qualities... but some, especially prolonged unattended deaths usually have more of an investigation than not to rule out foul play.
I disagree. If you do an advanced encryption no one is getting into the phone.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Isadeth and nothingchanges
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
If you encrypted your phone probably not. If you have a simple passcode probably. Complex passcode maybe.

I disagree. If you do an advanced encryption no one is getting into the phone.
And that's why it depends on circumstances. Some departments have more resources than others regarding phone access, and policies vary by location. That's why it's a complicated question to give a concrete answer to. But it wouldn't be a bad thing to encrypt your device just to add privacy. :)

Reactions: Kat!
niniwuuu

niniwuuu

Jul 20, 2019
LoL, same with me. My laptop contains a ton of info( i brought this just the 2nd of December of this year). My password is codewordkanima hahaha no one can crack it.

Reactions: Kat!
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
If you're really worried just delete all your accounts, emails, and smash your hard drive, nothing stored on your pc can be recovered then, it's all on a little magnetic disc.

niniwuuu

niniwuuu

Jul 20, 2019
If you're really worried just delete all your accounts, emails, and smash your hard drive, nothing stored on your pc can be recovered then, it's all on a little magnetic disc
Personally, I have everything on the cloud. If I just sign out my accounts that's enough if. Why destroy a new laptop ;)