• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
My uncle says that he thinks I'll be a rat or a chicken that gets slaughtered in my next life because I'm "selfish" and not doing what I'm supposed to do: "working for a living." He says that the meaning of life is to help other people and make them happy.

He says that to prevent being an animal in my next life, I need to work to survive and make money, and basically do what society expects me to. He says that I need to help other people by doing good deeds and being generous: basically accumulating positive karma. Do you think that people can become animals in their next life? In that case, I would still prefer to be human again…

Last edited:
B

Blank_Slate

Mar 26, 2024
I don't believe what your uncle says to be true, and I would go so far as to say that there is no reason to believe such a thing. There may be cultural value in this idea and I would still look at the claim and see if there's anything you can learn about the culture you're growing up in and the values of your family and society.

Hard work is considered a value because given very simple economic conditions hard work is a good predictor for creating wealth and being able to live a comfortable and content lifestyle. That is why you will find similar ideas around the world.

I believe you should challenge the expectations of society, but not just for the sake of being contrarian. Look critically at what you're being told, but always consider that such expectations and beliefs often survive because they are useful, and in that sense often to some extent true. But ultimately you should prioritize doing the thing that pragmatically brings you the most contentment and fulfillment - quite often this may not be what society expects or wants from you, because society wants to use you as human capital more often than it's interested in your own wellbeing.

As far as what animal you would want to be in your next life, Arthur Schopenhauer makes some interesting points about the differences between the human experience, and those of most animals. Something to the effect that

"Animals hear about death for the first time when they die."

While to some extent I don't think this is actually true - more the point is that animals have the benefit of not experiencing the same self awareness that humans are subject to. Many humans have to spend their days contemplating or denying their own mortality, and having to grapple with complex ideas of self-identity, morality, religion etc. Animals as far as we can tell are not burdened with any of this. So in some ways it might be preferable to have the life experience of some animals rather than the human experience.

Even with that being said - perhaps it's the egoism of being a human, but I rather think that I agree with your first instinct that I would prefer to be a human. This is peculiar given how many burdens come with being a human, but I believe as humans those burdens are also such a pleasure, full of potential and rich with interesting puzzles and fascinating contradictions. To be a human is sometimes like being gripped by the pages of a well written novel - even when the story is mundane or tragic there's something gratifying about seeing time and the world unravel before us.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Your uncle is making all these stories up about reincarnation n shit just to make you "scared" and to actually find a job and be productive for a family, (I believe you are a NEET)
What if reincarnation is real though? Like in the off chance that it is. Yeah I am a NEET lol; I've been one ever since I graduated college

Reactions: divinemistress36
Shadowpriest

Shadowpriest

Jan 20, 2024
What if reincarnation is real though? Like in the off chance that it is. Yeah I am a NEET lol; I've been one ever since I graduated college
Nah, there is nothing, lights out, eternal sleep. No hell no heaven, just peace, void.

I'm a NEET too but I used to work a couple of months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

The drip finally stops
Oct 21, 2023
Your uncle sounds like an asshole, lol. Anway, there is no telling whether or reincarnation is even a thing in the first place. For all we know, death is it. There is nothing after that.

Reactions: Guy_Smiley
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I don't believe what your uncle says to be true, and I would go so far as to say that there is no reason to believe such a thing. There may be cultural value in this idea and I would still look at the claim and see if there's anything you can learn about the culture you're growing up in and the values of your family and society.

Hard work is considered a value because given very simple economic conditions hard work is a good predictor for creating wealth and being able to live a comfortable and content lifestyle. That is why you will find similar ideas around the world.

I believe you should challenge the expectations of society, but not just for the sake of being contrarian. Look critically at what you're being told, but always consider that such expectations and beliefs often survive because they are useful, and in that sense often to some extent true. But ultimately you should prioritize doing the thing that pragmatically brings you the most contentment and fulfillment - quite often this may not be what society expects or wants from you, because society wants to use you as human capital more often than it's interested in your own wellbeing.

As far as what animal you would want to be in your next life, Arthur Schopenhauer makes some interesting points about the differences between the human experience, and those of most animals. Something to the effect that

"Animals hear about death for the first time when they die."

While to some extent I don't think this is actually true - more the point is that animals have the benefit of not experiencing the same self awareness that humans are subject to. Many humans have to spend their days contemplating or denying their own mortality, and having to grapple with complex ideas of self-identity, morality, religion etc. Animals as far as we can tell are not burdened with any of this. So in some ways it might be preferable to have the life experience of some animals rather than the human experience.

Even with that being said - perhaps it's the egoism of being a human, but I rather think that I agree with your first instinct that I would prefer to be a human. This is peculiar given how many burdens come with being a human, but I believe as humans those burdens are also such a pleasure, full of potential and rich with interesting puzzles and fascinating contradictions. To be a human is sometimes like being gripped by the pages of a well written novel - even when the story is mundane or tragic there's something gratifying about seeing time and the world unravel before us.
I see no point in participating in society if it's just going to use me as human capital. I refuse to be exploited and used. I would actually ideally want to be a housecat rather than a human

Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I don't know :).
I know this isn't the answer you were expecting.
I believe there is something after death, but I have absolutely no idea what it could be.

However, the theory of reincarnation into animals on our planet seems very unlikely to me.

• Informative
abirbul60024

abirbul60024

Feb 17, 2024
It's a philosophical question. everything is possible. but if you look at it from the other side, people think that being an animal is bad because of theirs ego, anyway, you wouldn't remember it after death. there's a chance that in the past life you were a dung beetle and said "oh no, just don't become this stinky primate called human"

• Informative
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
It might be difficult to transfer between human and animal consciousness. Maybe the legendary hybrids are transitional forms.

• Informative
B

Blank_Slate

Mar 26, 2024
I see no point in participating in society if it's just going to use me as human capital. I refuse to be exploited and used. I would actually ideally want to be a housecat rather than a human
I share your feeling on not wanting to be exploited or seen as an economic commodity.

The important thing to realize about this is that "society" is an abstract that operates on several different levels. Individual people don't view each other as being exploitable in a calculating way (some exceptions). But because we are social animals our culture develops in a way that encourages individuals to behave in a way that serves the communal benefit. Certain economic systems twist this to unequitable ends, but generally contribution to the benefit of your larger community is entirely compatible with being loved and cared for as a human being valued in isolation of your contributions.

An example that shows us this is how humans treat the elderly. Often elderly people aren't able to physically contribute to the community by working anymore, and yet it's still very common culturally to have the expectation that they be treated with respect and love.

And ofc the really simple economic reason to participate in society as "human capital" is that life is much easier when you can benefit from the infrastructure and institutions of society, rather than having to live as a hermit in the woods hunting and scavenging and building your own shelter.

And then ofc there's the benefit of spending time with other human beings, who are sometimes pretty cool animals.

surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
To me, the idea of reincarnation does not make sense.

Why would the number of people/animals continually increase? Who are the "fundamental" entities that keep reincarnating?

Also, I cannot recall my past life. So why bother about my next one if the current life will eventually fade into obscurity?

~~~
Your uncle is making all these stories up about reincarnation n shit just to make you "scared" and to actually find a job and be productive for a family, (I believe you are a NEET)
That is probably what is going on...

Guy_Smiley

Guy_Smiley

Just another lost soul
Jan 4, 2024
Humans are animals. We are just the animal at the top of the food chain; the apex predator. Just because we have larger brains, opposable thumbs, and walk upright doesn't mean we're somehow not animals.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Humans are animals. We are just the animal at the top of the food chain; the apex predator. Just because we have larger brains, opposable thumbs, and walk upright doesn't mean we're somehow not animals.
Yeah I know lol I mean other animals

Reactions: Homo erectus
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
The accuracy of children remembering their past lives is too strong imo. I definitely think reincarnation is a possibility, although I don't know for sure of course.
It seems there is a small window of opportunity up to a few years to pass on (or receive) strong emotion or past memory in some cases. But it seems not universal.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
My uncle says that he thinks I'll be a rat or a chicken that gets slaughtered in my next life because I'm "selfish" and not doing what I'm supposed to do: "working for a living."
Lmao what a shitty thing to say. I have no idea what causes people to believe things like that but whatever makes them feel better I guess.

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I agree with darkrange's quote lol

If continuous reincarnation into both human and non-human animals were real "you" could be forced into a being not capable of understanding good vs bad (like an ant) and therefore would not be able to make any meaningful moral progress. You would feel pain, but you would barely think. The only way this reincarnation would make sense is if it were designed as a punishment for your past actions.

Punishment only exists because it is designed to change behavior in the future. There is no point in punishing someone if they will never be reincarnated as a human being/ being of higher intelligence ever again, because then there would be no behavior to eventually change. Some might argue that the promise of future punishment is designed to change behavior now (and that punishment after death is absolute), but that leaves significant chunks of the global poopulation who may have led "good" lives in the right environment without any possibility of ever reaching their full potential. Is the 10 year old child soldier in a remote corner of the globe who brutally kills enemies of his terrorist state doomed to eternal reincarnation as a fly?

Assuming some higher power that follows basic logic (and maybe has a slight amount of compassion) is causing the reincarnation, I think it's relatively safe to assume that if you reincarnate as an ant, you will eventually make it back to being a human. Luckily, the vast majority of animals have far shorter lifespans than humans, with many insects having lifespans of only a few days or weeks. It may also be unfortunately fortunate that the ratio of other animals to humans is dropping rapidly, which increases your odds. Most major religons also consider "god" to be a very compassionate being as well, which probably helps your chances of having some sort of second chance, even if punishment is involved in the short term.

Of course this all assumes reincarnation exists though. I don't believe in it myself, but its an interesting idea..

Edit: I agree your uncle sounds a little weird for saying that to you... in my experience people who try to speak for god or "the higher power" are rightfully shamed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
I think in a next life I wouldn't mind being a beloved and pampered pet cat or pet dog for someone who'd really love me.
I personally know a few lucky animals who are truly loved by their wonderful owners and they have a great life. And of course at the end , if necessary , they will have their lives painlessly and peacefully ended to prevent/stop any suffering. That is appealing too.

Btw...I think your Uncle is wrong when he says you are 'selfish' .

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I think in a next life I wouldn't mind being a beloved and pampered pet cat or pet dog for someone who'd really love me.
I personally know a few lucky animals who are truly loved by their wonderful owners and they have a great life. And of course at the end , if necessary , they will have their lives painlessly and peacefully ended to prevent/stop any suffering. That is appealing too.

Btw...I think your Uncle is wrong when he says you are 'selfish' .
Same. I'd love to be a housecat
I agree with darkrange's quote lol

If continuous reincarnation into both human and non-human animals were real "you" could be forced into a being not capable of understanding good vs bad (like an ant) and therefore would not be able to make any meaningful moral progress. You would feel pain, but you would barely think. The only way this reincarnation would make sense is if it were designed as a punishment for your past actions.

Punishment only exists because it is designed to change behavior in the future. There is no point in punishing someone if they will never be reincarnated as a human being/ being of higher intelligence ever again, because then there would be no behavior to eventually change. Some might argue that the promise of future punishment is designed to change behavior now (and that punishment after death is absolute), but that leaves significant chunks of the global poopulation who may have led "good" lives in the right environment without any possibility of ever reaching their full potential. Is the 10 year old child soldier in a remote corner of the globe who brutally kills enemies of his terrorist state doomed to eternal reincarnation as a fly?

Assuming some higher power that follows basic logic (and maybe has a slight amount of compassion) is causing the reincarnation, I think it's relatively safe to assume that if you reincarnate as an ant, you will eventually make it back to being a human. Luckily, the vast majority of animals have far shorter lifespans than humans, with many insects having lifespans of only a few days or weeks. It may also be unfortunately fortunate that the ratio of other animals to humans is dropping rapidly, which increases your odds. Most major religons also consider "god" to be a very compassionate being as well, which probably helps your chances of having some sort of second chance, even if punishment is involved in the short term.

Of course this all assumes reincarnation exists though. I don't believe in it myself, but its an interesting idea..

Edit: I agree your uncle sounds a little weird for saying that to you... in my experience people who try to speak for god or "the higher power" are rightfully shamed.
Yeah it is designed as a punishment for your past actions. It also rewards you for your good actions. Apparently, if you do bad deeds, you accumulate negative karma, which affects your rebirth in the next life and causes you to get a worse rebirth. If you do good deeds, then you accumulate positive karma and get a better rebirth. Someone made a thread about how they were mad that evil people are successful in life, but maybe karma gets them in the next one…

Last edited:
Tapioca

Tapioca

I wish I could afford a maid.
Mar 20, 2024
Maybe we reincarnate on different planets.

If it's a thing that happens why would it just be limited to our rock.

Anyways, isn't suffering a way to be reincarnated in a better position? If so you'll be coming back as something beautiful. Even if your uncle doesn't understand your suffering.