wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
I am wondering if it is worth it for me to get my stuff notarized (most notaries are closed for medical documents during the pandemic :/ so this will be an annoying process). I have a living will outlining detailed medical directives if I am ever unable to make decisions for myself. However, say I get it notarized this week and exit next week, will the doctors dismiss the document because "I was not in my right mind"???

How does the closeness to a suicide attempt impact the validity of medical directives?​

Last edited:
anonThrush

anonThrush

Feb 11, 2021
This will depend on where you live ofc, but in the US the requirements for a living vary from state to state, so to have a legally enforceable document you would need to use a form specific to your state, sign it, and then have it witnessed and/or notarized. As soon as that happens, the document is legally enforceable regardless of when you ctb. The bigger issue is that doctors are not required to follow the directives in a living will (regardless of when it's written) although they are supposed to take the patient's preferences into account -_-

Reactions: wordsonscreen
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
The bigger issue is that doctors are not required to follow the directives in a living will (regardless of when it's written) although they are supposed to take the patient's preferences into account -_-
welp. This is awful. I read this but forgot. damn.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I am wondering if it is worth it for me to get my stuff notarized (most notaries are closed for medical documents during the pandemic :/ so this will be an annoying process). I have a living will outlining detailed medical directives if I am ever unable to make decisions for myself. However, say I get it notarized this week and exit next week, will the doctors dismiss the document because "I was not in my right mind"???

How does the closeness to a suicide attempt impact the validity of medical directives?​
You have to have original copies already filed at your hospital and with your doctor. And even then they might or might not even honor them.

I'm not sure how just having that document would help you otherwise.

Reactions: wordsonscreen