HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
I just turned 23. I have the best boyfriend in the world, I have a decent job, and I'm about to move to a place I really like within the year. However, I still have the urge to take my own life. I suffer with several mental health issues and a family life that is damaged beyond repair. It seems like no matter how hard I try I can't get past being constantly sad, anxious, or scared. I've tried therapy but it was way too expensive and didn't really help me much. I just don't know what else to do, I want to live but don't know how.
How can I get better?
Will I ever get better?

• Hugs
Reactions: backtoearth, snowcloud9, nerve and 3 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
Yes, there is actually a high chance of getting better if 1. your therapist is devoted and 2. if you are devoted as well. Some mental illnesses are nearly incurable but it is good to try to get better! I hope you'll manage to get better soon if you intend to do so.

Also, nothing will invalidate your reasoning for wanting to ctb. Even while having a wonderful partner and supportive people in your life people still have the urge to ctb. Don't worry, though. Getting better is always an option and if you can't do that, there is always the next decision to make.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: HyenaRadio, I8meself, TransilvanianHunger and 4 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's possible to get better but you would need to eliminate the reasons that are causing your mental health issues. As you already mentioned a "family life that is damaged beyond repair." I assume that this may be the major reason for your mental health problems. Ofc could be sth else as well, I don't know your personal situation.

The earlier you try to fix the issues that causing your mental health the better chances you may have to get over them in my opinion, ofc you may need a good therapist for that if you cannot "fix" it on your own. The key is to know what's causing the problems then it has a chance to be treated, otherwise it's trial and error.

I hope you can find a way to recover! All best wishes!

Reactions: HyenaRadio, carac, ChronicallyCynical and 1 other person
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
the only way to be completely sure that you'll never start feeling better is to not try at all.

what does your income look like? 23 is typically past the age where you could still be on your parents health insurance (if you ever were to begin with!) so if your annual income is under around $20,000, you might be eligible for medicaid, which will pay for mental health treatment.

hearing this always pissed me off so if it bothers you, feel free to disregard it as me being a know-it-all hag, but 23 is still very young. im sure youve heard about how human brains don't finish developing until someone is in their mid-to-late twenties.

thank you for giving yourself a chance just by asking this kind of question and not letting the hopelessness and uncertainty consume you. no one can say for sure if any of us can get better or how much progress we could realistically make, but the vast majority of mental health issues can at least be addressed and treated to some extent. it doesnt have to be over yet for you if you don't want it to be.

Reactions: HyenaRadio
Suicidal Ideation

Suicidal Ideation

burn my body, celebrate the afterglow
Jul 21, 2023
i have found that slowly doing the things you used to do bit by bit that were healthy and productive and genuinely improved you, helps. it doesn't have to be instantly something you commit to, but slowly getting back into it one day at a time.

i know its small and barely anything but ive been making myself food again after months of not doing so and eating poorly. you have a boyfriend and im sure he would want to see you win. every time you do something that makes you feel alive again you can tell him about it and i am sure he would encourage you. encouragement can help you stay consistent.

but of course everything depends on you and what you want at the end of the day. i do hope you can recover.

Reactions: HyenaRadio and ChronicallyCynical
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Only time can tell. You should allow yourself to take that time, no matter how much it is. Things can get better and I truly hope for you that they do!

Reactions: HyenaRadio and I8meself
snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
I just turned 23. I have the best boyfriend in the world, I have a decent job, and I'm about to move to a place I really like within the year. However, I still have the urge to take my own life. I suffer with several mental health issues and a family life that is damaged beyond repair. It seems like no matter how hard I try I can't get past being constantly sad, anxious, or scared. I've tried therapy but it was way too expensive and didn't really help me much. I just don't know what else to do, I want to live but don't know how.
How can I get better?
Will I ever get better?
Same here, seemingly decent life now, but because of past family trauma still suicidal as fuck. Think of a therapist like a personal trainer: while they do help you exercise better, they are not a requirement for being able to exercise. I don't believe that time will change anything, you have to put in an active effort to come to terms with your family life and find the root cause of your mental health issues. You can't change your family, but you can change the way you react to certain situations involving them, and you can learn to let go of any resentment or grief you have of the situation until you can view it neutrally. This takes a lot of work and it's up to you to determine if it is worth it, but if you put in the work, you can be free from that burden.

I know my explanation is very vague, "What is an active effort? What steps do I take?" but those questions have been answered many times on the internet, so I won't talk about that. There are many suggestions on what to do, meditating, spending time off, all that is honestly lifestyle based. Maybe you live in quick-paced society and you don't get much time off, or maybe you've tried meditating but can't concentrate because of your ADHD;; there are so many different things to try... personally what helps me the best is journaling or posting on forums because I can't process my thoughts unless they're written down.

Reactions: HyenaRadio