win32

win32

I did it for me.
Mar 26, 2020
Googling didn't give a straight answer for some reason. I'd rather not directly confirm my state, but it's a stereotypically gun-loving one. The gun laws aren't ridiculous here, unlike CA.

Can I order a gun (let's say shotgun) and have it to a PO box? The reason I'm asking is because I still live with my parents. They leave for a only a little bit on weekends to go to the store etc, I don't want to have to go through the whole in-person purchasing process while they're gone and risk it taking too long. I don't have a safe place to store/hide it at home either.

I didn't post this in the firearms thread because this is about obtaining it, not about using it, sorry if that's incorrect. Also if this is not possible I would appreciate any other advice on how to obtain a weapon in my situation.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
No, when you order a gun online, it will have to be shipped to a FFL. That's a licensed gun dealer. Doesn't have to be a gun store or range, alot of pawn shops offer this service.

When the gun arrives at the ffl, you go to pick it up. They do a nics check on you, depending on the state. Not 100% what they do in ca.

Typically, your normal pump shotgun is allowed in all states, so you shouldn't have a problem getting one as long as you're old enough, no criminal record, and no forced psychiatric stays.

Reactions: Ironweed, Thatdude and Aap
T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
No, when you order a gun online, it will have to be shipped to a FFL. That's a licensed gun dealer. Doesn't have to be a gun store or range, alot of pawn shops offer this service.

When the gun arrives at the ffl, you go to pick it up. They do a nics check on you, depending on the state. Not 100% what they do in ca.

Typically, your normal pump shotgun is allowed in all states, so you shouldn't have a problem getting one as long as you're old enough, no criminal record, and no forced psychiatric stays.

Lets say I order one today. How long would it take to get to the point I could pick it up?

LooksAtMoonDog

LooksAtMoonDog

Too Long in the Wasteland
Nov 10, 2020
Lets say I order one today. How long would it take to get to the point I could pick it up?

That's going to depend on the gun. A lot of guns (and ammo) are in short supply now because people are stocking up in anticipation of a Democrat adninistration trying to introduce more gun "control." Since you're going to have to go thru an FFL anyway, go to a pawn shop that has an FFL an just buy what they have available (make sure ammo is available too), that way you only have to wait on the background check not shipping.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I've ordered from Palmetto State Armory. They are located in SC, and ship UPS ground. Never takes more than a day for them to ship, so I would say max of 5 business days. They usually have really good prices and availability. I would recommend signing up to their daily email. Sometimes you find amazing deals in there.

But like @LooksAtMoonDog said, finding something locally at a pawn shop will be same day. You can also check out armslist for private sales. Depending on the state, these may not need a background check or ffl.